Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Degree

Options
  • 02-01-2006 4:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to do Law as a mature student in UCD..does anyone have any feedback on my realistic chances of being accepted?

I presume they allocate only a handful of places for mature students on this course and I'm thinking of all the people from legal backgrounds i.e legal secretaries, Gardai etc who are probably going for the same few places.
    How competitive/difficult is it?

I have an A level and a Diploma in law and some work related legal training from the past which should help, but how much background do you need?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

You don't actually need a law degree to study law in King's Inns or Blackhall if you're a mature student, AFAIK. So you could apply directly there.
    Is it a barrister or solicitor that you hope to be?
    There's lots of mature students in KI anyway, most aren't legal secretaries or whatever, they are just normal people who decided later on to become barristers.
    I don't know too much about applying to UCD as a mature student so can't really help you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Your best avenue of approach would be through the Adult Education Centre, UCD. They are very helpful people there.

I have a 'folk memory' of being told that it is hard to access the Law (BL) degree as a mature, but this may have changed with the Horizons scheme.

I'm an older student (they won't let me say mature here, trades descriptions and all that!!) and I have had a ball so far in UCD. Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

You are confusing the BCL with the BL. A BCL is a basic law degree. A BL is a Barrister-at-Law degree and can only be given out by the Kings Inns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Pythia wrote:
    You are confusing the BCL with the BL. A BCL is a basic law degree. A BL is a Barrister-at-Law degree and can only be given out by the Kings Inns.

Ah!! That explains it... I bow to superior knowledge, my learned friend...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Pythia wrote:
    You don't actually need a law degree to study law in King's Inns or Blackhall if you're a mature student, AFAIK. So you could apply directly there.
    Is it a barrister or solicitor that you hope to be?

Requirements for Kings Inn:
    http://www.kingsinns.ie/html/prospective_students.html

You need a degree if under 25.

Requirements for Blackhall Place:
    http://www.lawsociety.ie/displayCDAContent.aspx?node=294&groupID=294&code=how_to_become_a_solicitor

A degree will exempt you from certain exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

Thanks for the feedback so far. I am not a graduate in any discipline so I want to study for a law degree initially and then decide which specific career route to take.

My first choice is UCD, but I would like to get a idea of how difficult it is getting onto the course as a mature student.
    Any law students out there with an 'inside track' on things?

One last try..can anyone answer my question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Hey whats up? My dad did it a few years ago actually. He had a diploma in international law first and had to do an interview and was accepted based on that I think. It's hard work but there's always a few matures in the BCL unlike BBLS or other degrees. He really didn't think he would get accepted but if he can do it I think anyone can.

You have experience and a diploma so this will increase your chances. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnee

If UCD doesnt work out, Trinity always has a few mature students in its Law course every year, some of whom will have had no experience in the area at all. Ive heard they're very supportive of the idea of mature students doing law so it might be worth checking out.

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
Advertisement