Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom reconnection charge

Options
  • 02-01-2006 12:10pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

I recently moved house and called up eircom to reconnect the phoneline. They tested the phoneline, and told me it provisionally passed for broadband. I received my new phone number but after a few days I was still not getting a dial tone. I rang up again, and I've been told I will have to pay almost €130 for someone to come out and fix the problem. This apparently is going to take a minimum of 28 days.

I did a bit of research and unturfed this little gem

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-301400.html

however, I'm unsure if its outdated. I can't seem to find anything on eircoms site about free first time rental. There pricing seems to be what I was told on the phone.

http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/store/productDetails.jsp

Am I really expected to fork out this €130, is there any way around it such as choosing another landline provider?

If I cancel this installation will they charge me a cancellation fee anyway?

I'm also wondering if they are going to start billing me for rental from a couple of weeks ago when I rang them for the reconnection fee rather than in a months time when it actually starts working.

Any help or wisdom appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

If the line was already installed at your new premises there should only be a 24.99 conx fee , see link for details

How much does it cost?

In-situ: €24.99 (inc VAT).* Pre-cabled: €49.99 (inc. VAT).** Standard: €121.93 (inc. VAT).***

* In-situ connection: where all line work is completely in place and the line can be electronically enabled and there has been previous service at the address

http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0037451114.1136223271@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddgjdlidklcefeceiedfgodfik.0&cid=FirstHomePhoneLineRes&site=Res&chanId=536888255

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

the eircom girl told me that in-situ means that nobody has to come out to do any work on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

dardoz wrote:
    I recently moved house and called up eircom to reconnect the phoneline. They tested the phoneline, and told me it provisionally passed for broadband. I received my new phone number but after a few days I was still not getting a dial tone. I rang up again, and I've been told I will have to pay almost €130 for someone to come out and fix the problem. This apparently is going to take a minimum of 28 days.

If there was a Line there in the first place , its only a in-situ price, some of the staff at 1901 are fooking idiots ask to speak to a supervisor

Connection price: In-situ: €24.99* Pre-cabled: €49.99 (inc. VAT).** Standard: €121.93 (inc. VAT).***

* In-situ connection: where all line work is completely in place and the line can be electronically enabled and there has been previous service at the address.
    ** Pre-cabled connection: where all line work is completely in place and the line can be electronically enabled and there has been no previous service at the address.
    *** Standard connection: where no line work is in place and there has been no previous service at the address.

What if my problem is that all line-work is not completely in place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I think that if a line is disconnected for a long period they eventually phyisically disconnect the line in the exchange, this can happen in areas where there are capacity problems. In this case they can charge you the full whack €121.93. :(

• Advertisement

well the craic now is. The Technician came around. Hooked up some electronic thing to the line inside, then went out to the telephone pole outside to connect something there to try and establish where it was broken. He came back in after 5mins saying its fixed. I quizzed him a bit and he said the line had been disconnected from the telephone poll. I asked him why, he said he doesn't know. Lines are never usually disconnected from the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

They charge the full whack if the line has been upgraded to an ISDN line also as I recently found out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Strange one. Maybe they needed a line for a neighbour and simply disconnected yours at pole level.

well ive been trying to ring the customer care phoneline to make a complaint that IM being billed for fixing something they did. Was on hold for an hour without getting through

well, good news. I finally got through to their customer care. I won't be billed for the connection at all as it was a problem outside of my house/property. In other words, it was Eircom's doing, so I won't have to pay for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement