Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Re-wiring

Options
  • 02-01-2006 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭

I looking to move home and I just had a building survey done on the potential new house. As part of the report the surveyor mentioned in his report that "since the property is over 45 years old and the wiring is original it is recommended that the entire house be re-wired"

Now while I have no problem with getting potentially duff wires replaced, I would just like to know what is involved. Does it mean that the sparky will have to rip the cables out the the walls and reinstall new wires? The reason I ask is I would like to know how much decorating will need to be done after the sparky is finished? (plastering, etc?)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭u2gooner

Every cable will be replaced except for the esb incomer. new fuseboard, new cables , new switches, new sockets , fittings, back boxes.....everything

This will most likely leave you with the need for a plasterer but the advantage is, you can get extra sockets, lights, elestric showers, tv points, phone points, etc, put exactly where you want them before the plasterer arrives, and once he's gone, your house wll have all new fixtures exactly where you want them with lovely clean walls.

Probably wont have to re plaster the whole wall unless theyre in bad condition. there will be a channel for the cables chased into the walls leading from the wall/ceiling to the fixture and they'll just plaster over this. paint or wall paper will cover the rest of the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Thanks u2gooner.

I suppose then it's a good time to get the house wired for an alarm and electric shower then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

it has to be certified and tested by electrician registered with ecssa or reci ,see reci.ie or esscsa

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭u2gooner

I think that goes without saying about the certification.

Its the perfect time for wiring everything, even if you dont wanna put something in just yet, run the cables anyway.

I would reccommend getting your electrician to run cat 6 data cable to every room. It can be used for phone, broadband, speakers, alarms, and digital tv is starting to be ran through data cable.

Its a great time to run cables for surround sound too. put a cat 6 or other cable to wherever you want a speaker and run it back to wherever your amp or tv will be.

You'l never get an opportunity to this properly again

Cat 6 and surround sound- hadn't even though about that! Nice one.

I was intending of getting a RECI or equivalent person in anyway since it's such a big job. Would anyone have any idea how long it typically takes to get a house done? (I can imagine this is difficult to estimate, but just a guesstimate would be great)

Ta for the help.

• Advertisement

Average cost for 3bed is 7k approx, i think,depending on how many appliances and sockets u have ,its a good time to get a power shower installed.u have to specify what kind of ducting u want,will cables underfloor be placed inside ducting?if house is old u,ll have to get an earth terminal and rod installed ,rod is 5ft ,is buried in earth, green/yellow wire goes to the main fuseboard/esb consumer unit.it can be buried at rear or at front,needs to go down 5foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Budget in the order of €100/point + fittings (lights, showers, other non-basic bits). Add for chasing, plastering, painting.

Given the likelyhood of original wiring, there may or may not be conduit in the walls. If there is conduit it makes for a much tidier job and only the extra points need chasing of plaster etc.

if u want extra sockets nows the time to get em, kitchen needs 2 double sockets and 2 singles at least,draw diagram for each room showing where u want extra sockets and light switchs and light fittings.large bedroom needs 4 esb sockets mains. get aa electrical appliances,fridges etc.ecssa has web site has list of registered electricians.

Folks, thanks for all your help. I have a good idea now of what's involved and will get down to putting that diagram together for sockets, etc.

Cheers.

In my experience electricians charge 60 plus an hour ,reci or essca registered electricians charge more,look at ads golden pages look for reci or ecssa logo on ads ,never pay electrician in cash,,u must specify i want full printed out receipt for all work carried out,ur reciept is your gaurantee.even box room should have 1 double mains socket ,large room 4/5 sockets mains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

gamer wrote:
    In my experience electricians charge 60 plus an hour ,reci or essca registered electricians charge more,look at ads golden pages look for reci or ecssa logo on ads ,never pay electrician in cash,,u must specify i want full printed out receipt for all work carried out,ur reciept is your gaurantee.even box room should have 1 double mains socket ,large room 4/5 sockets mains.
    Actually, I'd go slightly further than that. Let us say you are using the boax room as an office and have a lamp and a PC plugged in. You then have nowhere to plug in the vacuum cleaner without disconnecting one of the others.

Consider your requirements and then add a double socket for occassional use.

gamer wrote:

Interesting point. I know the building industry has a tendance to give a "cash price", but your right I would like a full receipt for this work. Will I need this for the ESB to show them about the upgrade?
    Consider your requirements and then add a double socket for occassional use.

Well I was going to base it on my current 3-bed apt for socket. There seems to be enough in every room (2 double sockets in the box room, 4 in the main room and 3 in the middle room).

dont pay any electrician in cash,never,get reciept, esb will need a completion cert, it shows work carried out,electricians name etc,if u pay cash u get no gaurantee of any standard of work,they will inspect new consumer unit, thats a formal document,look at esb .ie for more info.if ur paying 1000,s euro you better get receipt.

Advertisement