Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted - Potato Masher

• 02-01-2006 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

I bought a potato masher as per attached photos in Century 21 in Manhattan. It was the greatest masher I had ever used. It is now begiinging to disintegrate. Is there anywhere in Dublin I could get something similar (but hopefully more durable)?
    I would be very grateful for a response.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Hmm, looks interesting. I bought a dual spring loaded masher once, but similarly, it has begun to fall apart. For me, the best mash is still made with a crosshatch masher and then whip the bejesus out of it with a fork.

I also roast one to two whole bulbs of garlic, squeeze out the garlic & mash, & mix into spuds.

General rules: Use a floury spud, cut into equal medium sizes, too big or small and they'll disintegrate/cook unevenly. Put drained spuds back on stove and shake before mashing to get rid of excess moisture, do this for a really crispy roast spud too. Always whip your butter in first, then add milk/cream to alter texture. Don't forget lashings of blak pepper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Shabadu wrote:
    Hmm, looks interesting. I bought a dual spring loaded masher once, but similarly, it has begun to fall apart. For me, the best mash is still made with a crosshatch masher and then whip the bejesus out of it with a fork.

I also roast one to two whole bulbs of garlic, squeeze out the garlic & mash, & mix into spuds.

General rules: Use a floury spud, cut into equal medium sizes, too big or small and they'll disintegrate/cook unevenly. Put drained spuds back on stove and shake before mashing to get rid of excess moisture, do this for a really crispy roast spud too. Always whip your butter in first, then add milk/cream to alter texture. Don't forget lashings of blak pepper!

I use a little sprinkle of nutmeg too. It works with sprouts too, if you don't like that earthy taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

don't buy a masher in super valu, mine fell apart in one use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I like to add a pinch of colemans english mustard. Not enough that you can taste but enough that it adds depth to the flavour.

When I do a "mustard mash" I add the above and then a good quality wholegrain that isn't too vinagery and then I add a small amount of mature cheddar. Very, very tasty. Makes a simple meal special.

I just realised how off post I'm getting!! I've never seen a masher like that. I use a beast of a one from the 70s. is that fancy one really that good and if so why?

Advertisement