Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does your club need supporters!?

• 02-01-2006 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Myself and a friend have decided that we have been sitting on the fence for far too long, and its about time we nailed our colours to a mast somewhere.

Now, Im a Waterford Utd Fan, but we've decided to pick a lowly club in England and be "official" supporters. It has to be non premier league (so they'll be delighted to have 2 more Irish supporters), a stadium with sheltered seats (we're wimps), and it needs to be accessible to Irish flights so that we can go to a match every season to keep ourselves "official".

So.. Does your team need supporters? We're good natured, shout a lot of useless advice to players, capable of wearing a club scarf with pride, and we like meeting players so we can help their careers with this fantastic advice we come out with.

Our club is out there.. we just dont know where.

I'll make the decision as soon as I FEEL the club is right.
    It could be today, it could be in a month!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

stockport county,bottom of all leagues,try them,there my second team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Hereford United. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Trotter wrote:
    Now, Im a Waterford Utd Fan, but we've decided to pick a lowly club in England and be "official" supporters. It has to be non premier league (so they'll be delighted to have 2 more Irish supporters), a stadium with sheltered seats (we're wimps), and it needs to be accessible to Irish flights so that we can go to a match every season to keep ourselves "official".

London or Greater Manchester Area if flights are an issue, the cheaper and more frequent flights might encourage you to travel more and more.

How about Brentford?
    QPR?
    Millwall...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

London or Greater Manchester Area if flights are an issue, the cheaper and more frequent flights might encourage you to travel more and more.

How about Brentford?
    QPR?
    Millwall...;)

True.. Cheap Flights will make our visits a lot more economical! And thats important.

All good suggestions, but I need people to recruit us into their own ranks.. for example, my girlfriends father supports QPR and has put together a full proposal as to why I should support them. Thats what Im after.. give me reasons! I cant support Milwall, Im not 'ard enough.

stockports only 10 mins from airport and 10 mins from manchester,a cracking city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Go for Stockport County - very close to Manchester Airport and currently managed by a guy I went to school with.

Trotter wrote:
    Thats what Im after.. give me reasons! I cant support Milwall, Im not 'ard enough.

I'm Spurs, so I can't do much to convince you to support anyone TBH (if you insist on non-PL)

How about going to Reading to see two fine Irish strikers in Kevin Doyle and Shane Long? Great stadium (PL quality) and they will be playing in the PL next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Notts Forest, a team i've always liked for no apparent reason, then Oldham or QPR both teams i brought to the Prem league and CL sucess in CM97/98!!!

I'm Spurs, so I can't do much to convince you to support anyone TBH (if you insist on non-PL)

How about going to Reading to see two fine Irish strikers in Kevin Doyle and Shane Long? Great stadium (PL quality) and they will be playing in the PL next season.

Good idea but ideally we want to be in the depths of the league and known as "those two strange lads who support our club.. we just dont know why." Reading have a massive stadium, they dont NEED us. We want to be NEEDED. (In the soccer supporting sense :D ) Ya see?

Stockport seem to need the people , but lets go slightly further up the league.. someone who is at least going to be in the league for a while yet! Chesterfield has been another suggested home, but flights are the problem there.

Is anyone out there sick of being slagged for being the only supporter of their club in Ireland?! We could up the Irish supporter numbers to 3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Why can't you be a "official" waterford utd fan? :)

A lot cheaper, better football and the EL needs supporters a lot more than the english league does!

But if you're dead set on a english team, i suggest Oxford...cool place to go and there a mid-table league two side! So no chance of them hitting the big time any time soon!

• Advertisement

Trotter wrote:

Stockport seem to need the people , but lets go slightly further up the league.. someone who is at least going to be in the league for a while yet!

dont worry,county will stay up,especially with new supporters egging them on

DubGuy wrote:
    Why can't you be a "official" waterford utd fan? :)

A lot cheaper, better football and the EL needs supporters a lot more than the english league does!

But if you're dead set on a english team, i suggest Oxford...cool place to go and there a mid-table league two side! So no chance of them hitting the big time any time soon!

Dont worry, I'll still be down at the RSC to support the blues on friday nights. I am an official blues supporter, my family has season tickets so theres no fear there. This is more of an adventure really.

Do you support Oxford then??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Norwich, I'm a season ticket holder home and away and you can fly from out the road.

Oh yeah just saw what you were saying about being slagged as the only Irish supporter. You get recognition for being a supporter of some clubs. I certainly have and I'm known by players, management and coaching staff. If you want a place and a team to support which are handy to get to Luton for obvious reasons as that is where the flights from Waterford go to, but it's a hole of a place. Someone different like Burnley, Tranmere or Crewe might do for you

kensutz wrote:
    Norwich, I'm a season ticket holder home and away and you can fly from out the road.

Hmm... Ya have me interested!!
    Is it expensive to fly over from Waterford? What airport do you fly into and is there easy access to trains etc to Norwich then?

Its a big club though.. Still, Theres not a huge amount of Norwich supporters around. Is it handy to get tickets for us riff raff? :)

I can possibly get you tickets and if you did get to games we could share costs of petrol if you were to fly out from Cork or Dublin into Stansted. There's no direct flight into Norwich until March when FlyBe start up from Dublin.

The benefits of Norwich are it's a great place for shopping, nightlife and sightseeing. The stadium is top notch especially if you sit in the South Stand where I have my season ticket. The Barclay is for the die hard supporters but impossible to get a ticket for that end.

Getting to Norwich from Stansted is simple, you can use the National Express buses or trains and switch at Cambridge or Ely. Takes a couple of hours. How many times would you plan on getting to games?

norwich is hardly a lowly club in the english league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Trotter wrote:

Do you support Oxford then??

Not really, I've just been there a couple of times and it's a really cool place...plus they have the type of team you're looking for :)

If I was gonna devote a bit of time to travelling overseas to support a team and if the football or team didn't really matter, I was just gonna pick a team from scratch, I'd try and make sure the town/city it was in was great craic so when you go over the whole experience is that much better!

Rather than travelling to support Accrington Stanley FC just off the M50 and close to the little chef resteraunt! :p

county wrote:
    norwich is hardly a lowly club in the english league

Ah yeah but he's after selling it to me better than anyone else at this stage :)
    My mind is still open!!

Id say we'd go over probably twice in a season. Once anyways, depending on funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

How about AFC wimbledon?(think that what there called. No chance of them making it to the premiership for a long, long time.

• Advertisement

I can easily get you tickets for 2 games then, and if you want a sampler before the end of this season you can have a spare ticket of mine for a game. Not sure which ones I have but I'll check later,.

kensutz wrote:
    I can easily get you tickets for 2 games then, and if you want a sampler before the end of this season you can have a spare ticket of mine for a game. Not sure which ones I have but I'll check later,.

Thanks a lot for the offer!! Now see this man is good at bargaining. I feel like Norwich need me lol

I'll wait for the rest of the advice to come in and then myself and my mate will have a pint and a chat, and then decisions will be announced!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

You could always join the Wes Hoolahan appreciation society on a few trips over to Livingston!

i have to admit kensutz is a good salesman but keep stockport county in mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Leyton Orient for me. Been there before, and going over again on Jan 28th for their derby Vs Barnet.

A few O's fans pop over to see Cork City occasionally as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

A few of my mates do this, they support Yeovil Town. Have the jerseys and are going over sometime this season.

I have adopted Djurgardens of Sweden as my other team to support:)

My brother supports Yeovil. Don't suppose your mate has a jersey with Tarachulski on the back? Saw one of them at the Ireland-Israel game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    You could always join the Wes Hoolahan appreciation society on a few trips over to Livingston!

Said an English team. Edinburgh Airport is quite close, Glasgow Airport is about 40 miles away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Go for Stockport County - very close to Manchester Airport and currently managed by a guy I went to school with.

A terrible manager at that as well .

• Advertisement

Sarge wrote:
    A terrible manager at that as well .

caretaker manager at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Jim gannon is a disaster of a manager and if stockport have any sense they will get rid of him . Jim gannon couldnt take care of himself never mind be care taker manager !

/end of rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tranmere is a good bet. They are nice and close with regular flights to Liverpool airport (or the boat if you prefer that). Plus nobody hates Tranmere, they're like you slightly slow cousin that everyone just says "aaah".

Does anyone here support Reading?! They seem to be a good bet too, 45 mins from Heathrow.

Maybe a bit high up in the league though!

just pick a team out of a hat,say from the 1st and 2nd division

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Trotter wrote:
    Does anyone here support Reading?! They seem to be a good bet too, 45 mins from Heathrow.

If a bandwagon supporter you may as well go for wigan:D

but seriously , they'll be in the premiership soon. you'll want at least 2 or 3 years of promotion/relegations fights with your chosen team.

• Advertisement

Trotter wrote:

I take it this doesn't apply anymore?
    Trotter wrote:
    Good idea but ideally we want to be in the depths of the league and known as "those two strange lads who support our club.. we just dont know why." Reading have a massive stadium, they dont NEED us. We want to be NEEDED. (In the soccer supporting sense ) Ya see?

:D

They've been my 2nd team in England since the early 90s, but I've never been. Actually, I'm hoping to get over next year, but with the travelling Spurs fans.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Swansea City!

Best club in the english league!

Amazing new stadium, great fans and above all, No. 10, God, Lee Trundle, irelands (and the english leagues) most prolific striker!

Also Kevin Nugent (now a player coach) is one of the clubs all time legends, also an Irish man!

they have a great group of younger players like Leon Britton who are capable of getting them to at LEAST championship level and the new stadium I mentioned? Fully covered!!!

Gwan, you know you want to!

Seaneh wrote:
    Swansea City!

Amazing new stadium, great fans and above all, No. 10, God, Lee Trundle, irelands (and the english leagues) most prolific striker!

Also Kevin Nugent (now a player coach) is one of the clubs all time legends, also an Irish man!

they have a great group of younger players like Leon Britton who are capable of getting them to at LEAST championship level and the new stadium I mentioned? Fully covered!!!

So you support Swansea then!?!
    Have you ever gone to a match or met the players?
    Also, how many Irish players are there?

Seaneh wrote:
    Swansea City!

Especially when they score goals like this one from last week (not Trundle):

http://files.filefront.com/swanseagoalwmv/;4556263;;/fileinfo.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    My brother supports Yeovil. Don't suppose your mate has a jersey with Tarachulski on the back? Saw one of them at the Ireland-Israel game!

I know one of them has a players name on the back, whether its Tarachulski or not i dont know but i'll have a check. They wore there jerseys to that game so it was more than likely them, I wouldnt say was too many Yeovil supporters wearing yeovil jerseys at the Ireland-Isreal game!

• Advertisement

I know one of them has a players name on the back, whether its Tarachulski or not i dont know but i'll have a check. They wore there jerseys to that game so it was more than likely them, I wouldnt say was too many Yeovil supporters wearing yeovil jerseys at the Ireland-Isreal game!

Aye, I'm sure it was them. Was stewarding at the game, only noticed because my brother supports them so I sent him a text.

Norwich are winning so far lol. Join us you know you want to.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I totally agree, Stockport County would be a good choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Doncaster Rovers, going places in the league on the back of a good cup win, and you can get cheap ( <€60)direct flights from Dublin to the new Doncaster Airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

Blackpool FC need supporters and a change in fortune. So i am casting my vote for you to support them and buy merchandise etc, etc.

The reasons:

In trouble at the foot of league 1 with a tight fisted chairman that hasn't spent money in about 20 years that i can remember.

Sacked Steve McMahon after lifting the LDV then didn't sack him and then did...it was going on for ages, same with Colin Hendry (except he won nowt) recently departed.

I used to go to Bloomfield road all the time while living over there as my dad is a Blackpool fan, and really enjoyed the one promotions campaign when sweets were thrown into the crowd by the players and i remember a milk cup game where we were given flavoured milk before the match!

They have been FA cup winners once in the famous matthews final '53 and runners up twice '48 & '51. They were also runners up in the old First Division (now premership to you post '92 people) in '56.

Stanley Matthews

Currently they get a low crowd and the renovated stadium has only got three sides as the club ran out of money to finish the last end.

Away from the football side it is very cheap and easy to get to Blackpool with direct flights with Ryanair and you have all the fun that Blackpool has to offer after the game. Rollercoasters, entertainment, hen party capital of England ;).......

have a look and make a decsion to go tangerine.

Sea, Sea, Seasiders!

http://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk

Trotter wrote:
    True.. Cheap Flights will make our visits a lot more economical! And thats important.

Just to clarify...

Are you hoping to make a weekend of your trip over,or will you need to do it all in one day? Bear that in mind, an airline might get you out in time for a match, but you may have to stay overnight.

Just to clarify...

Are you hoping to make a weekend of your trip over,or will you need to do it all in one day? Bear that in mind, an airline might get you out in time for a match, but you may have to stay overnight.

Ideally over and back in one day.. but if we were staying over we'd probably stay in a B&B or something like that. Its all going to be on a low budget, its half the craic that way!

Having showed this thread to my friend, at the moment its between reading and norwich. The Norwich option is based on the flights being direct in march. He's got it into his head that he likes the idea of reading fc. Im not convinced yet, so keep the sales pitches coming! (scuse the pun).

I cant support blackpool because I was dragged there on holidays as a child and the councellor says Im not ready to go back.

This site should be an invaluable resource, not just for yourself but for anyone hoping to travel to a game in England.

http://www.dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/park/yfh45/ground1.htm

How to get there, where to drink, info on stadium. Fantastic site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Come support Wednesday. We're a big club!!!

Only joking

Who wants to go to Bloomfield Road and Edgeley park when you can go stand on the Kop(theres more than one you know) and admire the worlds greatest football team in its ascendensy(a very slow one at that).

You want history, Sheffield has the oldest football club in the world (Sheffield FC)....something Chelsea can never buy!!

We have loads of airports within 50 miles leeds/manc/Doncaster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Trotter wrote:
    So you support Swansea then!?!
    Have you ever gone to a match or met the players?
    Also, how many Irish players are there?

I've been to many a swansea game in both the old and new stadium!
    I've met a few swans players, Brian murphy, Trundle, met nugent a few years back, I've met Izzy Ikerpin in a tesco in swansea.

Been going over there atleast every summer since I was 12.

• Advertisement
Advertisement