Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco Bottlebank A Disgrace

• 02-01-2006 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭

Went off out to Tesco Ardkeen today to offload a few sacks of bottles , when we got there anyway the whole front of the bottlebank which to be fair has about 15 Id say or more banks was full of sacks and boxes of bottles which had just been dumped there.

Now fair enough all the clear bottle banks were full but there were boxes with green and brown glass dumped there too and in the time meself and the bf were there throwing in our green bottles at least 6 other people came and dumped black sacks out of the back of their car in front of the bottle bank.

I was just wondering what the story is >?
    Is it the norm that if the banks full , and even if its not that people just dump crap here and somebody else has to clear it up?

Would this not be considered Illegal dumping no?

I thought there was a sign saying something along the lines of that behaviour being considered illegal , I cant rightly remember though, Just wondering who`s responsibilty it would be to govern the banks out there , I was so mad out there today and I made my opinion known to those illegally dumping also.

Obviously my opinion doesnt mean jack sh*t to these people but Itd be nice to see something done about it .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I doubt the banks have been touched since before Christmas and like you most folk have an extra number to dispose of at this time of year.

Whoever is charged with emptying them should be contacted.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

its not just the Tesco one, i have seen 2 others today with the same thing. i would have thought it would have been cleared but will probably be there till March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭deisemum

This is an ongoing problem and not just because of the christmas and new year holidays. It's been discussed on numerous occasions on DeiseAm. It is illegal and I think there may be plans to put up cameras, not sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Camera`s should definately be put up to at least deter people , Ive seen the Tesco one like this a couple of times before but I just couldnt believe it when people started driving up and off loading bags and boxes out of their boots without even batting an eye.

Who would it be up to , to get cameras up?

would it be the corporation , or Tesco or the company that empty the banks?

I was there watching it for about half an hour and this taxi driver was there watching me as I was giving out and the minute I got in my car to drive away , he pulled a sack out of his boot and left it there and then he looks at me and throws up his arms as if to say what do you want me to do, bloody fekers should all be fined.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This happens at all bottle and clothes banks be it in Waterford or Kilkenny, people are lazy bastards and the people that leaves box's and bags should be beaten for being so feckin lazy!

Its a disgrace that recycling is not taken seriously in this country!
    </RANT OVER>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jessica

It would defintely constitue illegal dumping - but at the end of the day these banks need to be emptied on a regular basis anyway. At least once a week. If the corporation wants us to use the recylcing areas the least they could do is keep the area clear and free for people to put their empties in.

Christmas or not - this is always an issue with the bottle banks city wide not just in tesco ardkeen. Although i am sure that tesco would have some responsibilty in keeping that area clean.

it is only a matter of time until some thug takes one of the bottles and smashes someone over the head with it - or breaks them all over the place just for fun or a kid falls on a bottle there- i can see law suit city coming out of those areas one of these days .

Oh novel idea - why don't they use the budget for that instead of digging up the park cycle track. ah making sense jess ... and corpo don't go hand in hand !! silly me !! :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Mossy Monk wrote:
    its not just the Tesco one, i have seen 2 others today with the same thing. i would have thought it would have been cleared but will probably be there till March

Corpo clearing them today and yesterday. These need to be emptied on a daily basis over Christmas. Watched one of them being unloaded into an open-backed lorry yesterday. All just dumped in on top of each other. Why bother segragating them in the first place?:confused:

This weeks Munster Express carries a story about this problem, the council are doing undercover filming at a number of sites.

Mike.

Well there no point filming it unless their goina do something about it .

LOL I`ll be the person stood there giving out to people on this film :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Would be great if they print photos from the film of people dumping stuff, I know they won't but I can always hope :v:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

What is the point asking people to re-cycle and then not giving them the facilities to do so?
    Exactly how many times are you supposed to take away your bottles and come back again?

Heres the Munster article

http://www.munster-express.ie/news3.html

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Hagar wrote:
    What is the point asking people to re-cycle and then not giving them the facilities to do so?
    Exactly how many times are you supposed to take away your bottles and come back again?

You're quite right. If they were emptied more frequently the problem would not occur. But the Council don't seem to obey the same rules and regulations that they try to enforce themselves. For example I observed the Corporation digging the road at Slievekeale Road and Hillview last week.

Lorries diagonally across the road; no hi-vis jackets; no traffic management; a disaster waiting to happen.

Sorry for going off-topic. I personally wouldn't dump at a full bottle bank. I would try elsewhere.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

I went to Tesco the 30th of Dec to off load my empites. Bins werte not full yet there were loads of bottles in boxes and bags just left there.. Obviously people couldn't be bothered to take 5-10 mins to pop the empties in the appropiate coloured bins.

I hope tht the minute the CCTV cameras appear, prosecutions start to happen quickly and the fines are in the region of €1,000

If the fines are in and around the €100 mark then it will not act as a deteterent to others

Name and shame! I want vid caps published in the local papers!

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Name and shame! I want vid caps published in the local papers!

Mike.
    Definately!

Name and shame and a fine! Theres no excuse for people dumping stuff like this around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭meldrew

Anyone who thinks that this council has the means and the ability to install covert cameras is very gullible , I mean we are waiting years for cctv to be installed around the city and now all of a sudden they can put cameras on bottle banks ! Come on give me a break .
    Its not as ridicilous as the County Councillor who said they were being put up in the Comeragh mountains to stop illegal dumping though !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

there's a drop off depot out in Newrath that's where all our stuff goes. All our glass, papper & cans

and any unwanted clothes or stuff either goes to St Bridgets or Oxfam

Advertisement