Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Sim Free Phones?

• 02-01-2006 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

What is the difference? And why are they so much more expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

A SIM free phone will work with any SIM card - normally when you buy a phone, it's locked to a network, because the network want you to stay with them as they've subsidised the handset you've purchased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sterculelum

Yeah but is it really worth paying that much more for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well, that's personal choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Answer this,

Do I need to be able to use other sim cards? (but to do so need to turn off the phone and change the card.) If yes you need a sim free, if no you are best getting a normal phone.

if you want more than one number then get 2 phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

generally, i wouldn't buy a sim free phone, especially if it was available on a network because just about all of them can be unlocked with a minimum of hassle. are you looking at a particular phone or just generally wondering?

if you're thinking of buying an 8800, don't. there are better phones for less than half the price that aren't as shiny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭tie_mi_shu

no, buy a locked phone and get it unlocked.. much cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Myself now i'd only buy sim free phones, just because i cant stand phones with branding on them. And i know ya can get them flashed etc but i wouldnt trust that.

In saying that tho, i buy all my phones abroad because they are soo much cheaper

orla wrote:
    Myself now i'd only buy sim free phones, just because i cant stand phones with branding on them. And i know ya can get them flashed etc but i wouldnt trust that.

In saying that tho, i buy all my phones abroad because they are soo much cheaper

where are you getting them? are you going abroad or ordering online? i was in prague a while ago and phones were pretty much the same price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

BuffyBot wrote:
    A SIM free phone will work with any SIM card - normally when you buy a phone, it's locked to a network, because the network want you to stay with them as they've subsidised the handset you've purchased.

No, Sim Free means the phone is exactly that - sim free. It doesn't have to be unlocked, they usually are, but you can get Sim Free phones that are network locked.

It's stupid really. Most cases you can get the phone with the credit for much cheaper, and just ditch the sim that comes with it.

No, Sim Free means the phone is exactly that - sim free. It doesn't have to be unlocked, they usually are, but you can get Sim Free phones that are network locked.

It's stupid really. Most cases you can get the phone with the credit for much cheaper, and just ditch the sim that comes with it.

i think a sim free phone that's network locked is kind of missing the point. to me a sim free phone means you're free to put any sim in, rather than it doesn't come with a sim. by that definition an upgrade pack is sim free.

i buy locked phones because they're cheaper. people pay more for sim free phones so they can have the freedom to put any sim in. why would anyone pay sim free prices for a locked phone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

i think a sim free phone that's network locked is kind of missing the point. to me a sim free phone means you're free to put any sim in, rather than it doesn't come with a sim. by that definition an upgrade pack is sim free.

i buy locked phones because they're cheaper. people pay more for sim free phones so they can have the freedom to put any sim in. why would anyone pay sim free prices for a locked phone?

Trust me, its the truth. I've seen certain "Sim Free" phones advertised in CPW as "Locked to o2 Network"

As I said before, its extremely uncommon, and they are 98% of the time unlocked - but there is such a thing as a Sim Free mobile locked to a given network, and I have seen a few examples with rare phones.

Don't askl me why, but that's how it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Trust me, its the truth. I've seen certain "Sim Free" phones advertised in CPW as "Locked to o2 Network"

As I said before, its extremely uncommon, and they are 98% of the time unlocked - but there is such a thing as a Sim Free mobile locked to a given network, and I have seen a few examples with rare phones.

Yeah, i've seen this also. I'd but sim free phones, cuz normally when i buy a phone, it's a new one, and most networks are slow about getting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭gearbox

your better off buying a locked phone, i buy them locked and unlock them myself whenever i need a phone u can even buy unlock boxes online so you then have the potential to make money but loose money for the network you bought the phone off

I once had a SIM free Motorola V600 that was locked to O2. I asked them about unlocking it and they supplied me with the code after I faxed them the receipt. So it was SIM free but still O2 branded.

where are you getting them? are you going abroad or ordering online? i was in prague a while ago and phones were pretty much the same price

Going abroad.. Thailand and Malaysia. They are months ahead of us.

oh i've seen it before too, i was just saying its stupid

orla wrote:
    Going abroad.. Thailand and Malaysia. They are months ahead of us.

aw, you got my hopes up there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Perhaps a trip to Thailand is in order lol :D

I'll have 43 of those there 8800s please sir, and 27 of those 3G watches :D

LoL I'm getting a 7370 (Click here to see!) from Thailand. Should have it by the end of Jan

Advertisement