Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sherman Relieved Of Head Coaching Duties

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Good chance that Favre will be going. I remember hearing that he wasn't too keen on learning a new system at this stage in his career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

He meant at another ball club....before Mr. Sherman was dumped

Packers have to bite the bullet sometime..... Favre had not a good season..but with injuries to his receivers and running backs plus a less than healthy OL ...I don't know whether its down to them or him.....

Based on previous Il'l give him the benefit of the doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Iceman_5000

I hope he gives it one more year at least. He really has had a very bad OL this year and has had less and less time in the pocket and therefore has thrown more interceptions this season, then added that he only has real trust in Driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

That's fair enough Iceman, but why will that change next year? The guys on ESPN made the point that you can write off one bad season at the end of a career for the reasons you gave, but if he comes back and the same thing happens next year it really could tarnish his standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It'll have to go down to whether or not he's willing to risk further damage to his career stats to go for one more season, in hope of going out on a higher note. That, I'm sure, he'll wait to decide upon until he assesses the potential for next year's running game and o-line strengths. I'd be very surprised if we hear a decision one way or the other in the next few months.

• Advertisement

Yeah.. I'd go along with Neil... Favre will take his time.... see what Packers have re playing personell ...I would suggest he would be anxious to erase last season from fans memory.... All depends on his attitude to the new coach and the tools as his disposal....There's one more in him I think

Very true. I'm sure everyone at Lambeau wants him back as do I. But i do agree with Favre waiting a while to make his decision. I watched the game against the Bears that was on christmas day, although he was not at his best i definitly felt as if he could still pull off one of those amazing come backs, and he nearly did. I still think there is a bit left in the tank yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Bert Fever

I'd love to see Farve back, but the pack really need a re-build right now. Might be enough to make him hang it up. Huge loss to football. They better retire no.4 too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Somebody explain to me how Mike McCarthy is an upgrade over Sherman?

As for rebuilding, there's no need to; all the elements are in place. They just need to get healthy.

I'd say theres a pretty good chance that Favre will stay on now, as he was QB coach at Green bay before, but the bears def co-ord also appiled and did not get the job, best defence in the league... this guy better be good. Strange decision to pick him for a rebuilding period. I'd love to say that i agree with you slow coach but that OL is a bit of a mess and the defence...

• Advertisement

I'd say theres a pretty good chance that Favre will stay on now, as he was QB coach at Green bay before, but the bears def co-ord also appiled and did not get the job, best defence in the league... this guy better be good. Strange decision to pick him for a rebuilding period. I'd love to say that i agree with you slow coach but that OL is a bit of a mess and the defence...

The D kept them in nearly every game this year. 7th in Total D, 1st against the pass, 4th fewest penalties, 9th on 3rd down conversions, tied for 7th in Rushing TDs conceded. Room for improvement, of course, but a good starting point under a new coordinator.

Thats right.... D after a bad previous stepped up..... Whats wrong with the O?

We only lost Wahle and Rivera.... big losses true..... But still

Clifton/tauscher/flanagan/and Bubba Franks at TE

Bubba doesnt catch to much.. seems to be a blocking TE

Corners and safeties ...not too hot...

Anyway... Mike Mc carthy ... whoever he is better make it fortress lambeau prety damn soon

Thats right.... D after a bad previous stepped up..... Whats wrong with the O?

We only lost Wahle and Rivera

Not to mention Flanagan, Franks, Green, Walker, Davenport, Gado, Fisher, Murphy and Martin for varying lengths of time this year.

The entire running back corps, plus replacements, plus your top receiver and your centre and your top tight end. It was amazing that GB had so many long offensive drives this year.

Actually sorry I should have said the Offensive Line

But reading yr post I can see where the difficulties arose.

Packers need to make things hard in Lambeau.. like they used to be

Just finished boning up on Mike mc Carthy packers new Head Coach .
    Seems to me that at 42 he has all the quals to get the Pack to where they belong.. will stick with the West Coast offence.. which could mean Mr favre will go another season...

Im optomistic....

Green Bay Tabs Jagodzinski As Offensive Coordinator, this guy was the Falcons OL coach last 2 seasons where they led the NFL in rushing yards. Things are looking up... Can't for new season! lol If he gets a good rushing game going we can have a bit of play action. Something we were not able to do as we didn't have mcuh of a running game last season, although Gado did the best he could when he came in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Just finished boning up on Mike mc Carthy packers new Head Coach .
    Seems to me that at 42 he has all the quals to get the Pack to where they belong.. will stick with the West Coast offence.. which could mean Mr favre will go another season...

Im optomistic....
    so it'll be his backside in the bacon slicer then, eh? Look for Taffy to the Defensive Assistant!

You big bulligadoon!!!

Not that Mick Mccarthy.!!..... Thank God

I couldn't see that garrulous soul Taffy as OL line coach

Now Bates is gone!!

We are doomed!! Doomed, I tell ya.:(

He dragged the D-Fence from 25th to 7th in one season.

I half expect him to end up with Sherman in the Big Easy.

come on Reggie Bush, come on Reggie Bush.

• Advertisement

Reggie Bush can't play defence. :p

Reggie Bush can't play defence. :p

Who cares! :) We could use him. We could use an OL. We could use some wideouts. We could use... we could use... :rolleyes:

I suppose the one thing we don't need is more spirit. This is one of the reasons i became i Green Bay fan, was because of their never say die way of playing. Something that a few teams are lacking, they never seem to look like coming back from being down 14 nil. Although GB never won many games they always give it their all even with half the team KO'ed. (The one exception to this was the game against the ravens!) But up to that we had lost by 1,2 and 3 points! Go on the pack! Even though Favre was finding it though all season he still never looked liked he would give up. Something i hope he will carry on through to next season!

Advertisement