Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking supplies in Dublin

Options
  • 02-01-2006 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi There,

I tried searching and didn't come up with anything useful on this topic so I hope somebody here can help me. I've been finding it increasingly difficult to source baking supplies in Dublin and was wondering if there's any shops I'm overlooking. Basically what I'm after are different types of flour for breads (e.g unbleached flour, rye flour). I'd also like to get my hands on some unrefined sugars (particularly unrefined icing sugar) but these seem to be impossible to get also.

Superquinn used to be quite good for these sort of things but now they just seem to be concentrating on the pre-pacakaged food.

Does anybody have any suggestions if there's somewhere I can look to get these type of supplies?

Thanks,
    Adrian.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭deisemum

Health food shops usually have a wider variety of flours etc than supermarkets. It might be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭utopian

adrian.s wrote:
    Hi There,
    Does anybody have any suggestions if there's somewhere I can look to get these type of supplies?

You will find Dove's Farm (organic) unbleached bread flour in lots of places (Tesco used to do it in Navan). I suspect most bread flour is unbleached anyway. Odlums now do an unbleached plain flour (10% gluten). You will find Ballybrado whole rye flour in health food shops.

Two products of this type which are difficult to source in the Republic, in my experience, are white rye flour and high-gluten bread flour (c. 14%).

I wouldn't have thought unrefined icing sugar would be that useful, as it wouldn't dye correctly. You can get unrefined sugar (Muscovado) in any supermarket.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 samsmam

Hi! I feel your pain!! Did you get anywhere with your search! I need help too!! I am looking to bulk buy flour and icing sugar - any ideas? And also am finding it very hard to find plastic cases or boxes for carrying muffinds/ cupcases!! anyone come across these??? Very little available on this score and again I want to buy in bulk and cheaply!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

You can get bulk supplies of flour and sugar in Fegans cash and carry on Chancery St in Dublin. They do the range of Odlums flours in catering-sized sacks.

No card or membership required. When they ask you foir your account number just tell them it's a cash sale.

As for the original question, Fallon & Byrne carry a decent range of flours in normal sized bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

rockbeer wrote: »
    You can get bulk supplies of flour and sugar in Fegans cash and carry on Chancery St in Dublin. They do the range of Odlums flours in catering-sized sacks.

No card or membership required. When they ask you foir your account number just tell them it's a cash sale.

As for the original question, Fallon & Byrne carry a decent range of flours in normal sized bags.

Thanks for your suggestion!!! I didn't know about this cash'n'carry and I've always looked for big bags of flour!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 samsmam

you're a star thanks a mill for your help!! Will definitely be going to Fegans!!! hope to save a bit now!! cheers!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sophiecat

Its also worth checking out one of the many east European shops that have sprung up around the place. They appear to have a wide variety of flours and also single sachets of yeast for around 50c (saves shelling out for a whole box) .

• Registered Users Posts: 8 giantturkeyleg

After a few days of searching for bulk bags of flour, it still seems that buying it in the supermarket is still the cheapest option. I tried Fegans, and the only stong flour they had in bulk was 8x2Kg of Odlums (16kg in total) for just under 21 quid, that being about 1.30euro per Kg. I have searched online, and have walked Dublin city trying to find it for less than 1.16euro per Kg, but to no avail. I have found a couple of bulk supplies, but all of them work out more expensive...which shouldn't be the case.

Does anyone have any ideas of where I could get bulk bags of flour at a decent price?

Thanks.

GTL

Advertisement