Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Doom reborn

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

deadly :D

i'll definitely check it out as soon as i get home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I pity the fools who want me to download their 160MB mod without so much as a screenshot on their webpage.

What's the deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You mean like the ones further down the frontpage? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

pretty cool.

the black mesa half life 2 mod is more enticing tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

pretty cool.

the black mesa half life 2 mod is more enticing tbh
    yeah looking forward to that if it ever appears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Looks nice, maybe I won't regret buying Doom3 so much now - I hope they haven't turned it into a d3 style fumble-around-in-the-dark fest.

http://cdoom.d3files.com/screenshots/news/e1m8_1.jpg

i think i just came a little:o
    man i used to love that part of doom1... just before you first meet the barons of hell

tman wrote:
    http://cdoom.d3files.com/screenshots/news/e1m8_1.jpg

i think i just came a little:o
    man i used to love that part of doom1... just before you first meet the barons of hell
    is that the "barrels of fun" level?

Edit: my fav levels are the first cyberdemon level in doom1 & "tricks & traps" in doom 2 (i think)

just love the part when you open the door & see a cyberdemon looking straight at you but there are about 30 barons of hell looking away from you, ahh the chaos that could happen then enemies faught :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

madrab wrote:
    ahh the chaos that could happen then enemies faught :)

It was genious on the part of id to make the monsters be able to piss each other off and fight each other ... ah to be playing Doom again for the first time ..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The originals are still great to play. AI is dreadful but the level design is genius. It's still the best co-op FPS game ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Actually if anyone is interested you can play the classics via this mod... it just needs the original wads... I played this quite a bit. It updates the graphics - not too doom3 standards but still quite good. :)

http://www.doomsdayhq.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I know its great to reminisce and all, but has anyone actually played the classic doom mod yet?

I'm not downloading 160mb of files if its crap! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Downloading now, will let you know in 30 mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've just played the first 2 maps, I thought it was very true to the original, if a bit darker. I like their interpretation of the E1M1 music too :)
    The intro is hilarious, between the awful voice acting and the roar of "BULLSH1T!!11!!" during the briefing.

Fun mod. The gameplay reminds me exactly of the original doom - fast and furious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

F*cking hell its good! It really keeps the feel of doom and the intro is hilarious!

Beecher wrote:
    F*cking hell its good! It really keeps the feel of doom and the intro is hilarious!
    my thoughts exactly:)

it's well worth a download.
    feels like the game that doom3 should've been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

tman wrote:
    my thoughts exactly:)

it's well worth a download.
    feels like the game that doom3 should've been

Precisely. Now if only ID would consider hiring this guy and doing a Classic Doom rerelease...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

madrab wrote:
    is that the "barrels of fun" level?
    Barrels of fun is one of the later Doom2 levels (a level before you first meet the spider mastermind iirc), where you start in a room of barrels all around you and a mancubus with his back turned infront of you, madly fun level :)

As for CDoom, excelletn game, just after finishing it. Still feels like Doom but with a few minor gripes, the pistol is insanely powerful, it seems to have an even higher damage output than the shotty. The shotty is a bit pants (noooooo!), was decent against small groups of imps, or in corridors where you have something to hide behind, but as an all purpose weapon (what it used to be), you want the pistol instead. The minigun is awsome, so is the Rocket launcher, and all the enemies feel about right too, apart from possably the shotty grunts do a bit too much damage (good hit will do 30 damage on you). Regardless, definately worth getting if you have Doom3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pugsley wrote:
    Barrels of fun is one of the later Doom2 levels (a level before you first meet the spider mastermind iirc), where you start in a room of barrels all around you and a mancubus with his back turned infront of you, madly fun level :)

Wrong. The spider mastermind was actually in that level on harder difficulty levels than wussie.

I wasted a lot of my youth on that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

well you's have sold it to me....downloading it now. Finally a good reason to have bought Doom 3

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Wrong. The spider mastermind was actually in that level on harder difficulty levels than wussie.

I wasted a lot of my youth on that game.
    Always played on Ultra Violence tbh, its easy to mis-place an enemy by a level :)

Have finished all official Dooms (think thats 192 levels?) and Hell Revealed2 (a rediculous Doom2 wad, something like 60 cyber deamons throughout the game, and in the regions of 200 revenants, and it goes downhill from there, fun WAD :))

If you really want to relive old Doom, CDoom is good, but short, get JDoom, all all the offical games, and a few custom WADs (theres hudnreds out there), for hours of endless fragging fun. Think I might actually have another run through Hell Revealed........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Wow this game is really like doom many happy "oh I remember if you run in here a wall will open up over there" memories thank god the 50 euro tech demo finally has a reason for being on my hard drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

anyone getting errors starting this up? i installed it to my doom3 folder, went to mods, loaded up classic doom v1.01 (or whatever this release is) and it just crashes back to the desktop :confused:
    And i played the first release of Cdoom before no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

You have to remove all old cdoom files and mod files for it to work mine didnt like teh doom 3 flashlight mod at all ;/

Pugsley wrote:
    Hell Revealed2 (a rediculous Doom2 wad, something like 60 cyber deamons throughout the game, and in the regions of 200 revenants, and it goes downhill from there, fun WAD :))

Have to have a look at that. Loved the Final Doom levels. At least 1 cyberdemon per level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Pugsley wrote:
    Always played on Ultra Violence tbh, its easy to mis-place an enemy by a level :)

Have finished all official Dooms (think thats 192 levels?) and Hell Revealed2 (a rediculous Doom2 wad, something like 60 cyber deamons throughout the game, and in the regions of 200 revenants, and it goes downhill from there, fun WAD :))

If you really want to relive old Doom, CDoom is good, but short, get JDoom, all all the offical games, and a few custom WADs (theres hudnreds out there), for hours of endless fragging fun. Think I might actually have another run through Hell Revealed........

Hey Pugsley,

Did you try www.DoomsDayhq.com with jdoom? Yup, It's been 2 years since I did but it was a blast... I think I remember Hell Revealed... it was a 20 level megablast?

anyone getting errors starting this up? i installed it to my doom3 folder, went to mods, loaded up classic doom v1.01 (or whatever this release is) and it just crashes back to the desktop :confused:
    And i played the first release of Cdoom before no problem!
    you need the 1.3 patch for it to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

madrab wrote:
    you need the 1.3 patch for it to work
    Thanks! Got it working last night, good laugh, brought back alot of memories :D
    Tho i wish they used the ps1 music as it was alot scarier and more atmospheric than the RAWK of the pc version

yeah the ps music was really atmospheric, many a dark night i was scared by this game, bastards!

• Advertisement

hamster wrote:
    Hey Pugsley,

Did you try www.DoomsDayhq.com with jdoom? Yup, It's been 2 years since I did but it was a blast... I think I remember Hell Revealed... it was a 20 level megablast?

Nah its full the full 32 levels, was playing it yesturday, on level 24 or so now, already met about 30 odd cyber deamons and 8 or so masterminds, madness I say, madness, one level had 5 cyber deamons on it, love the level where you start in a large X shaped corridor, you start in the middle, theres a wall of Deamons (bout 40 odd pinky's in each), and the other 2 have imps (about 50 odd in each), and you just sitting in the middle getting splattered from all sides.

As for JDoom, yea I use it, its great, allows mouse movement, and you can get a 3D model pack so all the meanies are all in 3D, and the maps are sparkled up to full 3D aswell, also allows mouse look and high resolutions. However some mods seem to prefere ZDoom, such as omgwpns.wad, which is a nutty weapon mod for Doom2, has about 30 weapons, and 6 odd new meanies, the weapons are meanies are all just reskinned old ones, but the funcitonality is there, and it plays pretty well, even if the rocket launcher aracnoids are a bit nuts, they kill in 2 hits and have the same rate of fire of the standard Aracnid's plasma gun.

Advertisement