Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting again

Options
  • 02-01-2006 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

I bought my air craft 2 years ago A tutor 40 with radio etc due to unforseen circumstances I only flew it twice.Now I joined a new club but am compleatly lost what do I need to get flying.Also could someone recomend a small electric plane that I can fly around the feeld.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

these are some details from another topic in this forum, posted by coolwings, where you will find (i think more info, but (coolwings please excuse me from using this!) not all is relevant to ur question but if you go to the topic on storing you will find some stuff anyway.

If you want to, you can cure your travel difficulties by flying Speed 400 electric airplanes, they are smaller, and go plenty fast (esp if you go for fighters), a friend of mine who has no car puts 4 speed 400 planes into a sports carry bag while going on the bus to where he flies !
    They are wingspan 25 - 40" average.
    Take apart wings = 2 x half wing go back in box for travel.
    Leave off wheels = better flying characteristics, and can belly land on any grass field, long or short - no need for club type runway of mown grass so no need to travel somewhere special to fly in the first place.
    These type of planes probably suit your lifestyle better than the ones you have bot up till now.
    Just a couple of the reasons I mainly fly electric and PSS myself .... greater convenience.
    You're not alone, just got pushed into following the wrong recipe given your circumstances.

I remember the club guys all said I was crazy when I said leccies were the future - I never looked back - I've only got 1 glow plane now and it's hardly used, meanwhile the airmiles on my smaller models just goes up and up .... my AeroNaut Skyraider has over 100 flights now, my Sport Wing is at 40 hours (dunno how many flights that is cos some are 60 - 90 minute flights), and a Daisy which is much thumped and battered still goes out regularly to a local field for more despite all the glue inside it. These S400 models are real workhorses, but most of all they are more convenient

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Does this help show how it works?

I went down to the club - kestrel http://uk.geocities.com/kestrelmfc/index.htm ) today

12.30 until 2.30, duration 2 hours, typical club day.

1 flight on Daisy for me
    helped (just stood by as instructor) glowfuel flier of 1 year experience, he got 1 flight
    helped set up 1 glowfuel flier of 1 year - problem with engine, he put it back in car and watched...
    1 flight with Skyraider for me
    helped set up 1 glowfuel flier of 3 months, problem with loose nosewheel, we handlaunched and he got 1 flight ending with his first landing.
    Out of time, packed up and came home.
    I didn't take my glowfuel CAP21 out of my car, I wouldn't have had time to set it up, fly, and help the other chaps if I had. But I still got 2 flights with my Speed 400 models which had virtually no setup time (abt 30 seconds).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭greg-h

THANKS BUT i CAN NOT FLY AS OF YET i HAVE ONLY 2 FLIGHTS UNDER MY BELT. i DONT THINK A FAST MODEL WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA. aS MY PLANE IS 2 YEARS OLD SHOULD IT BE FLIGHT WORTHY ETC AND WHAT DO i NEED TO GET BACK FLYING.

Have you read the "sticky threads" at the top of this "models" forum yet?
    There is much helpful info there....

In your first post you say that you have joined a new club. How is the level of help you are getting there so far? Are the club "experienced heads" bringing you on and teaching you the ropes? I should mention that there are many clubs and some are better for beginners than others, so you should feel free to call around different clubs, so as to find one most suitable for your own requirements.

Tutor is a good plane, if built properly, it will do you fine. However it a plane that you definitely need an instructor with, or you would not have it long. So don't be tempted to "go it alone" with this model, it is too fast and heavy for "self-teach".

Are you sure you want a leccie plane? You have a Tutor now. An electric plane will need different gear from your glowfuel model, to make it fly - you know. A little like getting 2/3rds of the full outfit again. The benefit is faster learning, and flying closer to home in most any field, but you gotta buy the stuff first.
    If you are happy RC flying is your chosen hobby, by all means get a 2nd plane, but think first.
    If you do...suitable S400 models for easy flying are Easy Star, Twin Star, and Daisy. Daisy is more versatile than the other two, but costs a bit more.

Cheers
    Coolwings

I have some electric gear as I bought a tiger moth 2 years ago but I was not aloud to fly it in the club.I sold the plane but kept every thing else servoes esc etc I am looking for a small plane thats un breakable. Also I dont Know what gear I need to get Do I need a new tx ni-cad etc by the way People appricate the likes of you helping us novices chapeau mes amis.

• Advertisement

greg-h wrote:
    ... I bought a tiger moth 2 years ago but I was not aloud to fly it in the club.
    That sounds odd...where was that? :confused:
    If u let us know approx where u are, we may have other places/contacts.
    greg-h wrote:
    ... I am looking for a small plane thats un breakable.
    Doesn't exist I'm afraid, the "unbreakable" ones fly like bricks...
    Now, if you are willing to settle for "tough" we might be lucky....;)

The club was the cmac run by noel barret.Yes A TOUGH plane sounds grand I have a moter a nd esc out of a mustang p 51 so any recomendations would be fab.

A P-51 eh? Not really a beginner's plane, that one.
    You're lucky to still have the motor.....
    If u let me know which sort of motor, and how many amps the speed controller is for, I could make a few suggestions.

I have no idea of the motor amp could you recomend a good web site on batries as I find them confusing when charging I was looking at the pico stick as is it slow and stable its also something I could fly my self

1 err - well then what make was the Mustang?

2 The amps rating of the speed controller will be written in big print on it's label. That tells me what models the stuff you have will fly.

3 Did the cmac give a reason for not letting u fly?

• Advertisement

It's a gws mustang p-51 I have not flown it as it is not A beginears model.Plus the fact I am A lousy bilder. The reason I was not aloud to fly it was because I bought the plane elsewere.A proment member asked me were I bought it and I was duly told I was not aloud fly it.Thats why I left the club plus the fact the membership fee was E160 PER YEAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

It may have been because of your radio frequency, do you know what it is?

The clubs will charge an insurance fee, so as to cover you from damages claims if your plane crashes into someone, or something valuable. That would be €60 (adult) per year. So The fee money the club charges would be €100 in the instance you quoted.

No radio freq was fine It was test flown and as I was about to take controll I was told I was not aloud to fly.One of the club members told me quitely it was because I bought the model elsewere.I have no problem with insurance In my current club you pay your insurence and there Is no membership fee. radio freq is 64 35.040

Must be a private club for Noel's customers.
    Speculating, cos I didn't know he had one.

If u are Cork based what about the other Cork clubs?
    I would usually suggest slope soaring it away from the club sites, but it's unsuitable .... a GWS would get blown away on the slope.

In my current club you pay your insurence e30 and there Is no membership fee.

Is it an exclusively glowfuel club?
    Are there leccie fliers to help you if you decide to fly using this gear?
    I ask because it can take some adetermination to go against the flow, if the club is inclined more one way then the other....

It's a glowfule club at hart but that night was indoor and there were about 12 tiger moths.

So it's glowfuel guys with lightweight electrics.

Their advice will be ok when it comes to slowfly, but out of date or copy from magazine when the leccie model is to fly amongst their bigger models :D

Why don't you have a look at my personal website and see if it is any help.
    http://uk.geocities.com/norm_flyer/index.htm
    there is a good bit there about the models I fly, most are electric, and all fly well..

Bad link cant get it page un avaliable

• Advertisement

It says try later, so have a go again tomorrow maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Not a single link to this board? Disapointing, Coolwings. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Fobia wrote:
    Not a single link to this board? Disapointing, Coolwings. :)
    LOL Sock it to 'im !

Aaah.....youse are all gangin' up one me !

Just thought the board you've posted 500 times on, might be worth a mention, but apparently not!

Still a excellent site could do with a page abouut battierys

Fobia wrote:
    Just thought the board you've posted 500 times on, might be worth a mention, but apparently not!
    You are absolutely spot on Fobia .
    I'm sorting it this very night !
    (Is is ok if I pilfer a gif/jpg for a link? Should I ask someone?)
    So many things to do, and so little time ......

Edit: Yea - 500 and I see I got a new star too :D

greg-h wrote:
    Still a excellent site could do with a page abouut battierys
    Errr .... Actually I meant to do exactly that a couple of months ago. Didn't get round to it at the time, then it slipped my mind.

So far it is kinda ok on the engines techno, somewhat thin on the slope soaring, and ok the beginner glowfuel bit IMHO.

The electric techno page is still needed. I'll see what i can do up quick, and add it in, I can always polish it off later.

Send me a PM with suggestions to make it better if u have the time.

coolwings wrote:
    (Is is ok if I pilfer a gif/jpg for a link? Should I ask someone?)

From this site? Should be ok, but I can't speak officially - I'm only a mod!

• Advertisement

I'll just put the link on in text first. That way it will be done, and adjustments can be organised later on.

Advertisement