Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can it be done?

• 02-01-2006 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting eircom broadband, but I will be out of he house for about 1 month a year, I will be staying in someone else's house. Anyway I am going to get the home starter. Can I bring the modem that I have got off eircom with me to another person's house and use it there. Would I only be billed on my house phone. Surely it would work once you have the modem?
    Thanks in advance,
    Sean

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If the person is an Eircom broadband customer, it will be billed to their account (if indeed, it even works. I'm not sure if Eircom allow two modems on a single account). If not, their line may not be activated for broadband, and they will not be able to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Unless the other person already uses broadband, it won't.
    Remember it took a while for you to get your modem and get connected? That's because an engineer had to replace equipment at your line-in point in the exchange. Unless that equipment is in place on the other line, it won't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

No. The modem is just an empty piece of hardware, it's your phoneline which carries the broadband. If you take your modem to a friends house and plug it in there, you will be connected to their line (assuming they have a broadband subscribtion in the first place, otherwise you will get nothing).

Advertisement