Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Niquitin Ad

• 02-01-2006 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭

i know how important it is to try and get people to stop smoking but how the **** do these ads do anything except anger people. you know the ads with the woman taking us all through her giving up experience. it is really annoying

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Actually that one for headache relief (goes straight to the source of pain or whatever) really grinds my gears. ya know the one with the guys pull a rope through yer wan's brain and the fat opera lady singing. Surely if you have a headache that's just gonna make it worse and you will hate the product all the more for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Scobie

Mossy Monk wrote:
    i know how important it is to try and get people to stop smoking but how the **** do these ads do anything except anger people. you know the ads with the woman taking us all through her giving up experience. it is really annoying

Yeah, she's off the fags but probably now injecting heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

The ads are effective. Everyone hates them but it's probably the most famous brand of whatever the hell it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I saw a woman who either was or looked remarkably like Sue standing outside Hueston about when the ad was running originally smoking a fag- was staring her out of it. She put up her hood so either I blew her cover or she was weirded out. Either way she put out her fag soon after. Annoying ads also wouldnt buy niquitin if I was giving up because of that **** ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Indeed its more likely to dissuade people from quitting as the person looks and sounds miserable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I don't smoke - but I'd imagine it would put smokers off quitting!! Who the hell would want to be that miserable??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Just playing devils advocate here and suggesting that perhaps it's aimed at (and loved by) the people that Sue(Sarah?) represent i.e. fat ugly miserable single women hitting 30. As such it's not a boards favorite and personally irritates the hell out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,497 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

All those fecking ads do is remind people, that are trying to quit, of their habit and reinforces their own mental image of how they "think" they look during the process - you feel like crap so your mood is crap ..so you assume this is how people are percieving you too.

The real aim imho of these ads is not to help quitters at all..it's to drive repeat business.
    I am an ex smoker and when I was in the throes of quitting, these ads used to drive me bloody crazy, if I had my way they would be banned along with cigarette advertising as both are really advertising the same product...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Give up smoking and look like me, sue is not selling that product at all.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

The woman on the Niquitin adverts who claims to be "Over the moon" for having given up smoking looks like she's on the verge of slitting he own wrists - she couldn't look anymore depressed, if that's what she looks like when she's over the moon, I'd hate to see her when she's on an even keel... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Why do so many of you sit through the ads all the time...? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

couldn't agree more with whats being said here, they look like really bad attempts at acting like normal people, they couldn't be for real.
    i'm off them now for 3 months, the first month was murder and i shot the neighbours cat and stabbed their kid but i'm over it now.

eh thanks love but no thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭NineMoons

I hate Sue. I couldn't believe they brought her back again. She's such a freak. What the hell is wrong with her accent? :mad: And then they compound it by sticking a picture of her on the outdoor ashtrays on a pub on my route home telling us she had her first kiss as a non-smoker. Sure, Sue. Someone was desperate enough to kiss you. SURE...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Every single time I see that "woman" I light up a ciggy.
    The ad is simply aimed at selling niquitine, not quitting smoking.
    Niquitine is the brand, this is not a "Public Service Ad" at all.

Besides, somone should put her out of her misery, she harps on about how good she feels now, yet she looks like shes about to climb a belltower with a rifle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I see they have a new victim for this year's campaign...some woman with blond hair and a marginally less annoying demeanour and, more importantly, accent, than our Sue. May she never grace our airwaves ever again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Its yer ones accent that really bothers me. Its like a hybrid of irish and something. Dreadful, but at least its not as bad as the other one with the fat devil in the car with yer man.

Advertisement