Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one into Emo music?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 minismile

Their latest release is really a hardcore album. Nearly every ounce of emo has been drained out of the band, to the extent that they now refuse to play "Letters To You" live. Meh, I like the new, more hardcore Finch. Finch originated from a hardcore band called "Numb" anyway.

People criticize emo for being "trendy", but the real trend is the hating and criticising it.
    But yeah there's loads o' great emo out there. Notably Funeral For A Friend, Taking Back Sunday, Jimmy Eat World and though not strictly 'emo'; The Used, Lostprophets, Thursday.

I agree the slaggings i get off little narrow minded people when i tell them i'm into emo stuff . half of them dont even know what it is, they just know other people slag emo kids off so they do it too. also ffaf is my favourite band and ~Taking Back Sunday is also up there with the greats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Fraggle Rocks

I like proper emo, which is to say the original emo bands like Embrace, Fugazi and Dag Nasty. Incidentally they sound nothing like the emo you hear toda.y

old time emo is pretty good. but i have to say i prefer the emo stuff off today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I like funeral for a friend's first album. Are Bullet for My Valentine (I think that's what a friend played for me once) considered emo? They seemed it and they had some great guitar. I want to listen to some of the old emo stuff.
    Whoa! There's no corelation between Emo and Goth, so don't even suggest such a thing.

THank you, I nearly had to hurt something. Emo kids have borrowed liberally from some aspects of goth fashion, but there's very few similarities musically or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Undergod wrote:
    Are Bullet for My Valentine (I think that's what a friend played for me once) considered emo?

Yeah, they're something of a grey area.
    No-one can really come to a solid conclusion about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Undergod wrote:
    I like funeral for a friend's first album. Are Bullet for My Valentine (I think that's what a friend played for me once) considered emo? They seemed it and they had some great guitar.
    Not sure. brilliant guitar work but lyrics and vocals sound like most emo bands. If they are emo, they're a kick up the arse for people who slag emo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

*smacks head off table*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28music%29

There, maybe you'll learn something about proper emo music and where it all began and see how it has changed since Revolution Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Emo? What a load of p1ss. Jump with the guitars in sequence, makeup, high pitched wailing about romance?!?! I think other 'musicians' have done that before...bros, busted, mcfly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

weezer... emo??? say it ain't so!!! i love weezer, but i think they're more 'geek rock' than emo... hehhe

the used are a brilliant 'emo' band, also 'old' funeral for a friend (this years most open heartbreak is a killer song!!)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Cremo wrote:
    emo such a broad gender though. some people think that i listen to a lot of emo music but to be honest i don't even know if they are emo and if they are i couldn't really give a crap.

mainly listen to: weezer, jimmy eat world, saves the day, bright eyes.

then there's the likes of biffy clyro, who i haven't a clue what genre people would put them in.
    You're safe. None of those bands are emo.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=518

COME TO US!!!!

• Advertisement

Their latest release is really a hardcore album. Nearly every ounce of emo has been drained out of the band, to the extent that they now refuse to play "Letters To You" live. Meh, I like the new, more hardcore Finch. Finch originated from a hardcore band called "Numb" anyway.

People criticize emo for being "trendy", but the real trend is the hating and criticising it.
    But yeah there's loads o' great emo out there. Notably Funeral For A Friend, Taking Back Sunday, Jimmy Eat World and though not strictly 'emo'; The Used, Lostprophets, Thursday.

None of that **** is emo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ahaha, i love the punk forum, you always get someone going

My chemical romance are soo punk and theyz rools.

get some great laughs out of that forum

Hahahaha...this is priceless...even the emo gang can't agree what bands are and aren't emo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

im a fan of funeral but hours was a dissapointment in my opinion
    ok for ALL the him lovers love metal is a non existent genre hium are emo
    99% of all metal is about hate also bullet for my valentine are great emo/metal and same for trivium

Hahahaha...this is priceless...even the emo gang can't agree what bands are and aren't emo.
    Who's in this emo gang? I'm not a fan of emo and yet I still know that none of this stuff is remotely close to emo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

weeder wrote:
    im a fan of funeral but hours was a dissapointment in my opinion
    ok for ALL the him lovers love metal is a non existent genre hium are emo
    99% of all metal is about hate also bullet for my valentine are great emo/metal and same for trivium

All metal about hate? Not really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Is Jack Johnson emo?
    It would give me another reason to hate him...

Seems to me emo is a whinier, metrosexual version of blues?
    Depressed for the sake of being depressed (with worse hair)?

I remember a Tony Soprano quote that reminds me of the frame of mind of emo (it could apply to most Western countries, not just the USA):
    "America is the only place in the world where you can have everything and still go to a shrink for therapy."

Not 100% accurate quote but it was along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭munky

Can I just say that EMO music, on the whole(and yes there are some exceptions just like with every other type of music), sucks big time.
    It seems to me that emo bands are liked for their image and not the music!
    I mean come on A7X are a **** Iron Maiden rip off, and MCR are a parody of themselves!(I'm not sure how they amnagesd that, but they did!)
    All you little emo kids need to start listening to decent music, then people will take you seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've asked already that this not turn into a slag-fest against emo, and you didn't listen. Go on, someone post some more "Blah blah it's crap blah! rubbish, and just see what happens. Just don't whinge when it does happen, because you know in advance it's coming.
    weeder wrote:
    99% of all metal is about hate

Sorry, but would you mind keeping your trap shut about things you clearly have no clue about?

so does no one like emo stuff except me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

BopNiblets wrote:
    Is Jack Johnson emo?
    It would give me another reason to hate him...
    :eek: funny how the world goes round eh? well as they say, to each their own. and for the record, jack johnson isn't emo

i do like the mellow side of emo, i think dashboard has some fine songs.. death cab.. postal service.. I would recommend anyone to listen to them :) You care for their music?
    I still don't really understand why emo is so universally hated, but whateves, listen to what makes you happy minismile =)
    and you should probably be in the punk forum ;) the rock/metal people tend to be angry folk =P ;)

minismile wrote:
    so does no one like emo stuff except me?
    To be honest, I don't think any of the stuff you're listening to is emo at all. You should probably find out what bands are actually emo before trying to seperate the fans from the haters.
    40crush41 wrote:
    and you should probably be in the punk forum the rock/metal people tend to be angry folk =P
    Yeah.... last time "emo" arrived over there it wasn't a very pretty site. I say give them their own forum. This whole MCR, Finch, Dashboard thing isn't punk.... but it could be called rock since it has the usual combination of drums/guitar/bass.

I dont know.

It seems that with the lack of an actual genre, EMO fans seem to drag other, non-emo bands into the 'genre'...to try and fill space or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

40crush41 wrote:
    the rock/metal people tend to be angry folk =P ;)

What with 99% of the music we listen to being about hate of course. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

dregin wrote:
    To be honest, I don't think any of the stuff you're listening to is emo at all. You should probably find out what bands are actually emo before trying to seperate the fans from the haters.
    Well do enlighten us, won't you, on what bands are actually emo.

dregin wrote:
    This whole MCR, Finch, Dashboard thing isn't punk....
    You haven't listened to the latest Finch album, have you?
    I get the impression that you are the kind of person who will only call any band's music "punk" if it is some ridiculously underground, politically-minded and highly inaccessible stuff.
    MCR are pop-punk. Whether that fits into the punk forum I don't know, but let it be known that they are pop-punk. Just so you know, Finch are a world apart from MCR in their sound, so you shouldn't ever refer to them as one "thing".
    dregin wrote:
    I dont know.
    Correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

HIM an emo band? wtf?

I don't like HIM but some people are going well off the mark here.

I agree that My Chemical Romance are a pop-punk band with hardcore elements. Judging by what I've seen by them I wouldn't call them emo really, but they're probably getting lumped in that whole scene.

It's funny how this term "emo" originated from bands like Fugazi; I never would have considered them emo in the slightest. I always feel like it started when bands like Weezer started popping up, and the underground scene took it from there. I can see the connection between Weezer and say, Jimmy Eat World, but not with Fugazi.

When I think of emo, I consider the 90s "indie" stuff (ie. Weezer, The Get Up Kids, The Promise Ring, etc.), and all these new screamy and more volatile bands that's all the rage these days (ie. Brand New, Hawthorne Heights, Taking Back Sunday, etc.)

On the whole I really dislike emo bands though. The only emo band I actually enjoy listening to is Weezer, even though their new stuff is horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

dregin wrote:
    You're safe. None of those bands are emo.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=518

COME TO US!!!!

HAHAHAHA Sorry I thought you said they werent emo. Oh wait you did, weezer are one of the origional emo bands, jimmy eat world are also definatley emo. There is no way you can say they aren't.
    In 1998, Deep Elm Records released the first in a series of compilations called Emo Diaries, which featured tracks from Jimmy Eat World, Samiam, and Jejune.
    From the wipika explanation, as is this
    The hallmark example was Weezer's 1996 album Pinkerton, which, in later years, was considered one of the defining "emo" records of the 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

It's funny how this term "emo" originated from bands like Fugazi; I never would have considered them emo in the slightest. I always feel like it started when bands like Weezer started popping up, and the underground scene took it from there. I can see the connection between Weezer and say, Jimmy Eat World, but not with Fugazi.

When I think of emo, I consider the 90s "indie" stuff (ie. Weezer, The Get Up Kids, The Promise Ring, etc.), and all these new screamy and more volatile bands that's all the rage these days (ie. Brand New, Hawthorne Heights, Taking Back Sunday, etc.)

On the whole I really dislike emo bands though. The only emo band I actually enjoy listening to is Weezer, even though their new stuff is horrible.

It all started in Revolution Summer (summer of 1985) when bands like Rites of Spring, Embrace, Dag Nasty and Grey Matter started popping up all over the place. The music prior to these bands was very hardcore driven and on the whole wasn't very melodic and the lyrics were more about 'rising above' and beating the system etc etc. In comparison these new bands that started playing were quite melodic and there lyrics were more about 'emotion' than anything else. Most of the people in these new 'emo' bands were actually the main figure heads of the hardcore scene and had since matured to something more melodic.

And just to justify this Ian McKaye went from
    Minor Threat ----> Embrace ----> Fugazi

of course with a **** load more bands in the middle.;)

Well do enlighten us, won't you, on what bands are actually emo.
    I don't listen to this stuff and I really don't know many of the bands (as I've already said). So asking me for a list is pretty pointless. However, I do know people that listen to it and the bands they listen to are worlds apart from these punkified versions of westlife.
    You haven't listened to the latest Finch album, have you?
    Nope. I had one of their albums and saw them live and they're more metal than anything else.
    I get the impression that you are the kind of person who will only call any band's music "punk" if it is some ridiculously underground, politically-minded and highly inaccessible stuff.
    It all depends on what you class as "ridiculously underground". If you mean bands that are playing gigs in pubs around the country purely for the enjoyment of playing together and the chance of having people listen to what they have to say, then yes - I am a muso who hates all things big and colourful. With the internet there's really no such thing as "underground" anyway. Most of the bands I listen to have websites and MP3s for download. Just because some bands don't feel the need to sign to major record labels and therefore aren't as well publicized or available worldwide doesn't mean the people who listen to them are close-minded, muso zombies.
    MCR are pop-punk. Whether that fits into the punk forum I don't know, but let it be known that they are pop-punk. Just so you know, Finch are a world apart from MCR in their sound, so you shouldn't ever refer to them as one "thing".
    A difference in their sound now means they can't be in the same genre? Punk isn't a sound, it's an attitude. Both these bands may aswell be the same. They're using major label backing to sell their music. Just because a genre has the word "punk" in it doesn't necessarily mean it has anything remotely to do with punk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

You want a list of bands? Here you go http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112989 the almighty list of emo bands as compiled by the guys over at ultimate-guitar.

Advertisement