Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one into Emo music?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

You want a list of bands? Here you go http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112989 the almighty list of emo bands as compiled by the guys over at ultimate-guitar.

No Fugazi on that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The music prior to these bands was very hardcore driven and on the whole wasn't very melodic and the lyrics were more about 'rising above' and beating the system etc etc. In comparison these new bands that started playing were quite melodic and there lyrics were more about 'emotion' than anything else.

I always solely considered Fugazi post-hardcore. I can see where you're coming from though.

It's just odd for this day in age, because I can't differentiate the emotion from a Fugazi song from, let's say, a Minutemen song. I think the title of emo in that sense feels obsolete at this stage when you have hoards of bands these days whining about how their girlfriends' dumped them. Now that's emotional.

Are there any connections between the emo scene in the late 80s and the emo scene in the mid 90s? Ian McCaye must feel sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

HAHAHAHA Sorry I thought you said they werent emo. Oh wait you did, weezer are one of the origional emo bands, jimmy eat world are also definatley emo. There is no way you can say they aren't.

From the wipika explanation, as is this

Ah yeah well...wikipedia is gospel afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Autobot Killa

Not into emo at all but check these places out if you are...

Emohardcore

Moshspace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I think emo gets a bad name because of bands like hell is for heros and finch who are imo a bland version of the genre.
    Bands like Rites of Spring (original emo from the 80's) as well as FFAF, glassjaw, coheed and cumbria,shadows fall(lot of people don't consider them emo, but I think the guitar style is very emo) are good music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I think emo gets a bad name because of bands like hell is for heros and finch who are imo a bland version of the genre.
    Finch aren't really emo. And if you insist on labelling them as emo, then they certainly are not a bland version of the genre. Please just go listen to "Say Hello To Sunshine" before you speak another ill-informed word about Finch.
    Bands like Rites of Spring (original emo from the 80's) as well as FFAF, glassjaw, coheed and cumbria,shadows fall(lot of people don't consider them emo, but I think the guitar style is very emo) are good music.
    Glassjaw aren't emo, either. They're post-hardcore, or progressive hardcore, if you like. Coheed And Cambria are just prog-rock with "whiny" vocals. Shadows Fall are metalcore, or NWOAHM, afaik.
    dregin wrote:
    Punk isn't a sound, it's an attitude.
    I knew you would say that. But you're wrong. Punk music IS a sound. Punk as an ideaology isn't. You're going to have to face up to the fact that Punk is, in fact, a genre of music with characteristic traits, sounds and dynamics.
    dregin wrote:
    Just because a genre has the word "punk" in it doesn't necessarily mean it has anything remotely to do with punk.
    I hope you realise how ridiculous and non-sensical that statement is.

You need to learn to differentiate between punk as a genre of music and punk as an ideaology/political leaning.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

You mean I need to see the difference between punk as it should be and punk as a selling point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Shadows Fall nor their guitar work are emo. Do you even play the guitar? Sure they have some melodic breakdowns in some of their stuff but they are merely mixing elements of metalcore and hard rock, as was evident on The War Within album, into their sound.
    And as another poster said they are regarded as being part of the New Wave Of American Heavy Metal along with Killswitch Engage and co...

Shadows Fall nor their guitar work are emo. Do you even play the guitar? Sure they have some melodic breakdowns in some of their stuff but they are merely mixing elements of metalcore and hard rock, as was evident on The War Within album, into their sound.
    And as another poster said they are regarded as being part of the New Wave Of American Heavy Metal along with Killswitch Engage and co...

Yes I play guitar. I'm only posting a personal opinion, I know that metal is shadow falls main influence but there are elements in their riffing that I consider emo, not cause I want to band them into the genre but because if a band fits into one specific genre and no other then generally they're not that interesting.

www.fourfa.com is a good site for an in-depth analysis of emo for anyone who wants to know more.

Hrm, fair enough so. To be honest I don't agree with the emo influences but sure its your opinion I guess. Not duno about that last comment though, there are several bands that I would consider uncompromising metal and they would never be considered boring...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

minismile wrote:
    Jimmy eat world is qiute emo but him is more love metal than anything isnt it?
    theres not a lot thats metal about HIM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

emo ist krieg

Hrm, fair enough so. To be honest I don't agree with the emo influences but sure its your opinion I guess. Not duno about that last comment though, there are several bands that I would consider uncompromising metal and they would never be considered boring...:confused:

I agree, but for every one band like slayer or mastodon or whoever that are solely metal and are amazing there are dozens that are bland generic metal. And I'm not just talking about small bands here. The metal scene is apparently having a bit of a revival at the minute, but how many bands are playing truely ground breaking original music and how many are connecting the dots and still selling big?

I guess most genres are like that, a few amazing bands, and the rest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 minismile

Arucard wrote:
    theres not a lot thats metal about HIM
    Him are love metal thats what they even define their music as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

minismile wrote:
    Him are love metal thats what they even define their music as.

Or rather, some spurious term they came up with.

Ah but see thats the thing. Imho, not all fantastic bands have to be original. They can play a more refined form of whats out there or if they do it well then just play more of whats already out there thats good, the old adage of if it ain't broke don't fix it springs to mind. :D

Or rather, some spurious term they came up with.

Well...in fairness, someone has to pioneer new genres.

I was thinking about it today walking home, then it struck me....Emo is nothing more than an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Pure_Hatred

All music gives out different emotions.
    When I listen to metal or anything I'm happy.. Radiohead make me sad (well come on they are the kings of depressing music)....

I think people classify emo as having emotional lyrics.... I guess Damien Rice could be classed as emo occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

Emo is probably the most widely defined and argued about form of music.The bands that I class (or at least used to class) as emo are those ****ing whiny little wiener suburban teenage bands with the exact same whisper/scream dynamic in every ****ing song like Funeral for a Friend and My Chemical Romance.Songs about problems that every teenager goes through but sung like the sufferer is the most unfortunate person in the world when in actual fact all his problems could be solved by simply getting layed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Emo is probably the most widely defined and argued about form of music.The bands that I class (or at least used to class) as emo are those ****ing whiny little wiener suburban teenage bands with the exact same whisper/scream dynamic in every ****ing song like Funeral for a Friend and My Chemical Romance.Songs about problems that every teenager goes through but sung like the sufferer is the most unfortunate person in the world when in actual fact all his problems could be solved by simply getting layed.
    Nicely said :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

I'm not really sure what emo is since nearly everything is labeled as emo these days! I love Brand New and Bullet For My Valentine...Their the only two that stand out from as Whiskeyjack puts it "those ****ing whiny little wiener suburban teenage bands"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

people who are emo's are just wannabe goths, who dont have enough taste to like good music. Every other genre hates you but your numbers are so large it dosent matter:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I don't like emo music, and I really don't like emo kids.

Especially those 12 year olds who moan how their lives are black abyses and how they are hated by everyone. They try to be individual by dressing and acting the same as every other emo, and they cut their wrists because of 'depression'. Ok, splitting up with a girlfriend of two weeks does not make you depressed, especially when you're 12 and you know ****.

Sorry had to let that out, they annoy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

I have a distinct hatred for emo as a music genre and probably a bigger hatred of 90% of emo kids.

I know a couple of people who like emo, but they just listen to it and don't change their sense of fashion or whine about life. They are entitled to listen to what they like.

I find, however, that most emo kids are some of the rudest ****ers ive ever seen. They have no respect for others around them apart from their fellow emo friends. Even one time last summer a friend and myself were approached by a couple of young fellas at a green who walked by and one of them said 'How can you listen to that ****, you should listen to a real band' or something along that line while pointing at a hoodie with some emo band on it (Good Charlotte I think), when we were sitting around listening to a cd.

What gives them the right to come up to random people and impose their music on them. I hate emo but I wouldn't walk up to a random person in public and tell them that the music they like is ****e and tell them what and what not they should be listening to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

people who are emo's are just wannabe goths, who dont have enough taste to like good music. Every other genre hates you but your numbers are so large it dosent matter:mad:

As discussed earlier, emo and goth are utterly different genres. How can someone possibly compare FFAF or Fugazi to Bauhaus and Sisters?

I'd agree that the two genres are completely different, but I would say that Emo, as a fad, is the new goth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Undergod wrote:
    As discussed earlier, emo and goth are utterly different genres. How can someone possibly compare FFAF or Fugazi to Bauhaus and Sisters?
    No im saying that they wanted to be goths because they seen it as 'cool' im not comparing them, emo's have a very different taste in music than most goths but like the idea of wearing black like the stereotypipcal 'goth'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

All i can say is EMOOOOOOOOOOOOO , i am disapointed in you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 anti-uncle

This might amuse you... and yes unfortunately I'm the poor fecker who got subjected to this abusive tale....
    http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=36761964&blogID=85429528&MyToken=531a6d80-d71d-4d4c-b189-d82994e03614

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

anti-uncle wrote:
    This might amuse you... and yes unfortunately I'm the poor fecker who got subjected to this abusive tale....
    http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=36761964&blogID=85429528&MyToken=531a6d80-d71d-4d4c-b189-d82994e03614

"**** our bass player has contracted EMO" Classic:D

Advertisement