Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text Speak

Options
  • 03-01-2006 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure most people here who play hl2 have some acros this forum http://forum.facepunchstudios.com/index.php .Anyway they have a system called smartness which i reckon is a good idea. This is the run down of it

Smartness
    There's a lot of confusion about the smartness system. People are dumb and they don't know why. Here I'll try to explain some of the common reasons.

YOU DON'T LOSE POINTS FOR:

Saying words that aren't in the dictionary.
    Saying usernames.
    Quoting dumb people.

YOU DO LOSE POINTS FOR:

Saying lol, wtf, rofl, omg, o rly, rox0rs etc.
    Typing in all lower case.
    Not using proper apostrophes (dont wont cant im instead of don't won't can't I'm).

We're basically trying to stop people being lazy dumb idiots. Just type properly. I know people like to feel like the system is broken - but the fact is that they're just dumb lazy *****.

There's no real rewards to having a high smartness level but if your smartness drops below a certain level you will be automatically banned for a few days.

Anyway my point is tha I reckon it would be a good idea here if not too hard to implement.LOL, AFAIKand a few others should get by the filter as most people find them generally acceptable.

Before anyone points out the irony of my post I am aware that there are grammatical and spelling errors in it.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sterculelum

Sounds pretty cool.

You have my sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I like it. It punishes people who are twats. I like punishing twats...

*waits for bdsm joke - Lemming around lately?*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I really, really like this idea, and wish to lend it my full backing!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

brilliant idea, but is there a function to exclude words such as WTF, IMO, AFAIK, because im sure nobody minds them, but its the..
    ha ha i like 2 spk txt all d time, so fck u

that gets on people nerves after all there is a full QWERTY keyboard in front of them. Not generalising, but i do find its the likes of 13-16 year olds who do it all the time, while the most of us with a notion on how to type post our words properly.
    Id say this system would be a good idea to get an idea of how people are at typing and spelling, plus im sure we can always have a bit of fun with it by having contests etc.

Also, im waiting for if this does get the go ahead, all the people who decide to post while drunk, lots of points to be lost :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I fully support this with every inch of my vocabulary, and the very fullest range of my keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Brilliant :D, pleaseeee start it on boards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There is a difference between acronyms and text speak. Apart from that, support.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I hate text speak.:mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Lol, wtf, omg. These I support. The rest of it I approve of.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So.....it's a negative-only rep system for which only moderators can deduct points.

Sounds like the karma system to me.... :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

anything that can help to get rid of text speak is fine by me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Beruthiel wrote:
    anything that can help to get rid of text speak is fine by me!

THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR THE GRAMMER* POLICE

*Nah mate we're the grammer police, you'd be wanting the Spelling Police division for that one. Bunch o' anal retentive nerds them lads are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Only if the enforcers have 'Grammar NAZI' in their signature somewhere. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

Support++ !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

It gets my vote. (closet Spelling & Grammar Nazi)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Gets my full support anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Laugh out lould

Doesn't really have a ring to it, does it?

Besides "lol" is internet speak, is an acronym, and doesn't shorten words themselves like typn shte lik dis <-- dis is txt spk rite.

I'm not entirely sure if i sent lol to somebody fluent in txt spk they would actually know what I mean.

A better idea is to permanently ban anybody who uses there instead of they're.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

A better idea is to permanently ban anybody who uses there instead of they're.

Wonderful idea. I propose that the same be done for people who improperly use "its" and "it's".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

One does not simply LOL into Mordor...

I'm with you; you princes of language, you dashing gentlemen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I endorse this product or service. Nothing annoys me more than people using text speak with a full keyboard in front of them.

Actually...one thing does ... people who use "revert" instead of "reply" or "respond". Get a bloody dictionary!

Luser: "Please revert to me asap".
    Me: "I'm afraid I can't do that as I never was you in the first place you ****ing tard :mad: "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I think this is a great idea

all those n00bz are about 2 get pwnzord!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Great idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Doesn't make a blind bit of difference to me. Just don't read posts that you can't understand...

On a side note, I'm sure you've all seen this passage in an email or something:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~mattd/Cmabrigde/

So really there's no reason to complain, you can understand the sentences just fine most of the time, and it's just being picky tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

DaveMcG wrote:

So really there's no reason to complain, you can understand the sentences just fine most of the time, and it's just being picky tbh.

Not really. Text-speak isn't just a case of words with the correct letters in the wrong places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Fair enough... I don't have trouble reading most sentences in that way though... maybe I'm just special!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Perhaps some form of electric shock for repeat offenders? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I back this, esp tackling lower case nuts and those who simply refuse the use punctuation.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

This idea will backfire horribly. How will we cope without being able to call each other fúcktards?

How will we pretend to be 14 yr old CS players? How can we poke fun at someone by calling them '1337'? Take this thread for example. We'd be penalised for satirising (albeit badly). Please, consider your mad cousins in The Cuckoo's Nest. Could we have some sort of immunity?

Advertisement