Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to sell shares...the ultimate question?

Options
  • 03-01-2006 4:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

I am fairly new to investing but last feb, I invested, rather naively 5k, thankfully though they are all up.

One stock in particular, Bank of Ireland, has just been breaking even or slightly below. Currently though, since a recent growth i am in profit about 10%. Do I sell now sell because it is in profit considering it has been at a loss for so long or is this recent growth an indication of better things to come?

I check stock prices daily, but i rarely keep up with actual company updates, news etc.(which is probably more important) thus, giving me an indication to sell or keep.

Therefore, how does one know when to sell..or is this question to difficult to answer...how long is a piece of string? Are they sites where i can find out up to date information about my equites?

And finally how do you, more experienced investors, decide when to sell.

Thanks,
    pmk19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

you should be investing for the long term(at least 20 years) and keep reinvesting the dividends.irish stock market was up 20% last year. ft.com sharewatch.com are sites that will provide detailed equity info.

Advertisement