Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homebrew Beer Howto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Good luck with it TPD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Just made an order,

Got a beer kit, steriliser et cetera. Looking foreward to getting started. I'm looking for a thermometer to check the temp at certain locations round the house (attic room, under the stairs etc!). I wanna make sure I have a space that stays at a fairly constant temperature.

22-26 deg.C, right lads?

sunnyjim wrote: »
    J22-26 deg.C, right lads?

That's a bit on the high side, around 17-20 would be better. But I prefer to ferment cooler rather than hot as with hot there is can chance you could get some headache causing higher alcohols

Interesting. I've heard the higher temperatures cause higher alcohols. By higher alcohols do you mean straight or branched propanol/butanol/pentanol, or even higher? And these come from the yeast?

...So, if they produce higher alcohols, is carbon dioxide still given off?

And 17-20... Thats perfect. The highest temp we get in my house is 21 celcius.

They also go by the name of fusel alcohol or oils and give a hot/harsh and some times spicy effect to beers. In big beer beers they can add to the over all flavor but in very small concentration due to increased concentration of fermentable sugars but are generally seen as a flaw due to poor fermentation

These are some of the best know culprests: 1-propanol, 2-propanol, butanol (various isomers), amyl alcohol and furfural

• Advertisement

I'm of the IUPAC generation, so I had to go look up those last two!

Pretty cool. I wanna find out why these are formed at high temps. Any biochem, microbiology or brewing books you can recommend?

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Any biochem, microbiology or brewing books you can recommend?

How to brew has gotten very good reviews

http://www.howtobrew.com/

Homebrewing for dummies is not bad either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

http://www.thehomebrewcentre.ie/beer_kits.htm
    Can anyone recommend either of the two kits on this page? Looking for a present for my brother for christmas, was looking at the beer machine, but beer from a mix just sounds nasty.... So are either of the two on here good for an absolute beginner who is quite lazy? Or should I go with the one from the homebrew company and leave it up to him.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Wherry, I'm told, is quite a decent kit. Lager kits will never produce anything even vaguely like lager. Even getting something drinkable out of a lager kit is tough. Without some serious temperature control equipment, lager and home brewing do not mix.

Brewferm has a very good name, but you may need two as they only make 12-15 liters. Also Woodfords are all malt not sugar a bit more expensive but worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

So I'm thinking Beer starter Kit, Golden Ale beer kit and Barrell Keg.

Thoughts on this as a setup for a beginner?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

That looks ideal.
    As others have said all malt kits are more expensive, but worth it, and a golden ale should please everyone.
    One point - when you barrel your beer you add sugar which gives it it's carbonation, and the CO2 also pushes the beer out the tap. When you get over half way through the pressure might equalise, so no beer comes out. You then have two options - either crack open the cap, and pour your beer out through gravity (you're introducing air to the beer, so the remainder of the barrel would want to be drank quickly, so be prepared to invite a few friends round); or option two is to buy the CO2 bulbs/carbonation kit from the homebrew website.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Hi, just looking for some advice, i got one of these kits for christmas (the lager one), and it's been brewing for probably 2 weeks now, out of the recommmended 21 days. My brother was messing with it and opened the tap by accident and spilled some, which tasted kind of sour and bready (i only tasted a drop, so couldn't really tell if it was alcohol-ly). just wondering is this a sign that the beer was infected or that it's just not finished brewing? I know it's alot different than proper brewing, but any advice is appreciated

Give it the full three weeks and clean the out side of the tap with some sanitizer as you do want anything grown on its.

The souring maybe be worrying ,but some time a lot of yeast in suspension can give some of taste.I would give it another week and then test it.

simonw wrote: »
    tasted kind of sour and bready
    Yes, that sounds like kit "lager" all right. Infection or not, you won't get anything you can pass off as a commercial lager out of there. But good luck with it, I hope it's drinkable, and if you're disheartened by the results try a different style next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

BeerNut wrote: »
    I hope it's drinkable

me too :pac:

I wasn't expecting greatness but i'd be disappointed if i had to throw the lot out... I'd like to get some gear to brew properly, but this'll have to do till i have a few bob

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I don't feel like reading 26 pages.

Where do you guys buy your stuff?

I don't feel like reading 26 pages.

Where do you guys buy your stuff?

Hands down the best in the country

http://thehomebrewcompany.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Hi lads,

been reading the thread over the past month or so and finding it great to get tips. Going to start on Saturday as I think i've got it !! I been taking heat reading over the week and my room stays at 18c, this ok or would i need a blanket / sleeping bag around it? I got this with the starter pack http://thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_12&products_id=16
    and just wondering if anyone has tried it? One part im confused about, the above beer is ready to go yea? i dont need to boil do I?

Cheers

I'd have thought 18 would be fine, though Cooper's say
    Generally, our instructions suggest a temperature range between 21C-27C. We also suggest that a wort outside of 21C-27C but within the range of 18C-32C should not be left to sit . Rather, add the yeast promptly and then look to draw the temperature within the 21C-27C range.
    The fermentation will generate a certain amount of heat itself, so I'd be inclined to leave it.

You don't need to boil the kit. There's some good advice on stuff the beer kit instructions won't tell you here.

I've never made this kit, but I have tasted the finished product. Ehm... all I'll say is don't let the result put you off homebrewing, and if you're disappointed try an ale or stout next time round. Good luck!

• Advertisement

I never understand why lager kits are produce when the whole process of lager is a cool fermentation and cold lagering

27c is way to high for most brewing yeast, 16-18c would be best good luck with the brew

Thanks lads, ill let you's know how I get on :)

not expecting much for my first time, but hopfully ill catch on quick enough.

oblivious wrote: »
    I never understand why lager kits are produce
    Because it's the most popular style of commercial beer, and therefore the one people will want to make in their homes -- regardless of the fact that it's impossible.

I spoke to a homebrew supplier who I won't name ;) about it, and he said he agrees that "lager" kits are a disgrace, but they're his bread and butter. I'm sure the same goes for the people who manufacture them.

Because it's the most popular style of commercial beer, and therefore the one people will want to make in their homes -- regardless of the fact that it's impossible.

I spoke to a homebrew supplier who I won't name ;) about it, and he said he agrees that "lager" kits are a disgrace, but they're his bread and butter. I'm sure the same goes for the people who manufacture them.

I know, its just you could produce a golden or blond ale that may have a slight ester's that would give better results.

Do you use tap water or cheap bottled water? I hear what your saying about the lager, what do you suggest for a first timer?

Use tap water, its fine

Is there anywhere in Dublin or surounding area that you can get Dry Malt Extract other than from a online homebrew supply shop ?

Cheers

gaz wac wrote: »
    I hear what your saying about the lager, what do you suggest for a first timer?
    A bitter or a stout, though one of the best kit beers I've ever tasted is Brewferm Ambiorix, a Belgian-style strong ale.
    gaz wac wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in Dublin or surounding area that you can get Dry Malt Extract other than from a online homebrew supply shop ?
    I don't think so. Ireland doesn't really have any bricks-and-mortar homebrew suppliers. As far as I know the malt extract sold by health food shops is not suitable.

Thanks BeerNut

• Advertisement

As far as I know the malt extract sold by health food shops is not suitable.

Its baking grade, there can been issue with its preparation and the fermentibality of the extract

Advertisement