Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homebrew Beer Howto

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Wallacebiy wrote: »
    a couple of achaeologists from Louth ( I think)
    Galway. Details on their site here.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Wallacebiy

BeerNut wrote: »
    Galway. Details on their site here.

Cheers , I stand corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Wallacebiy wrote: »
    I'd be interested in this too ,

fulacht Fia.

Here is the you tube of the brew day if you interested

Fulacht Fia brew day

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Wallacebiy

oblivious wrote: »
    Here is the you tube of the brew day if you interested

Fulacht Fia brew day

Brilliant ,
    My brother has been saying this for a few years ( at least six )

I'd love to taste it , and if it's drinkable after only a few days ,,, man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I know this has probably been mentioned a million times in this thread but are there any shops in Dublin where I can get the equipment and if not could somebody recommend a good online store.

Thanks fellas.

• Advertisement

These are the best in the country

http://thehomebrewcompany.ie

These deliver in the Dublin area

http://www.grapengraindublin.com/

These are the best in the country

http://thehomebrewcompany.ie

These deliver in the Dublin area

http://www.grapengraindublin.com/

Thanks Oblivious.

Think Ill give this a try....wheres the best place to get the bottles:confused:

Both company do bottles, but any good brown 500ml beer bottle will do and you get free with with it:p

Here's my basket:

http://thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=shopping_cart

I think thats everything (except bottles).

Just wondering though is that spraymalt ok with the beer I selected?

Also I ordered 2x500g of the spraymalt....should I get another for when Im bottling the beer or is brown sugar better for that?

Also is that beer a good choice or does anybody recommend something else? I usually drink wheat beer but I fancied something a bit different and thought that sounded nice.

Sorry Babybing you basket appears to be empty

Spraymalt is the best malt extract to buy, but it does need to be boiled!

For bottling just used standard sugar, you can use spray malt but it works out dearer and the results will be the same with sugar as you are only looking for some CO2 to be produced

• Advertisement

Looks good, you don't need the spray malt as that kit is all malt and have everything you need. To prime you can just use sugar

Looks good, you don't need the spray malt as that kit is all malt and have everything you need. To prime you can just use sugar

Thanks a lot oblivious.

Finally what is the quality like if you get everything right? I assume there will be one or two hiccups the first time around but if you get everything spot on how good are the results?

I usually drink Franziskaner, Paulaner, Hoegaarden, some of the Sam Adams beers, Westmalle, Duvel, Chimay.....

I dont know much about beer but I know some of those beers are pretty highly rated.....how would stuff from a kit compare quality wise?

Babybing wrote: »

I usually drink Franziskaner, Paulaner, Hoegaarden, some of the Sam Adams beers, Westmalle, Duvel, Chimay.....

I don't know much about beer but I know some of those beers are pretty highly rated.....how would stuff from a kit compare quality wise?

To be honest most of those are very yeast dominate flavored beers (except Sam Adams). The yeast supplied will generally be neutral-ish, so it should be something you can have a few pint of but probably not overly estery (try avoiding putting it beside a radiator). Part from that I have not used those kits, but as kits go they are supposed to be one of the best

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Gatsby

Hi folks great thread.

I'm planning on starting my first brew shortly and have a quick question that i haven't seen the answer for in any of the guides. Do you use tap water for the brews or the people try and get hold of spring water. I'm living in Dublin and am a bit concerned that using the tap water here could adversely affect the results.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Tap water should be fine. Some people treat it with campden tablets or run it through a filter first, and some do indeed use bottled water. But if your tap water tastes OK to you then it should be fine for brewing.

A number of bottled water will have bicarbonate levels higher than your tap water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Anyone know where to find tubing for siphoning, somewhere in Dublin?

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Anyone know where to find tubing for siphoning, somewhere in Dublin?

Here http://thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_30&products_id=88

I think grape and grain also do some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Gatsby

BeerNut wrote: »
    Tap water should be fine. Some people treat it with campden tablets or run it through a filter first, and some do indeed use bottled water. But if your tap water tastes OK to you then it should be fine for brewing.

Thanks for the info. One less thing to worry about

Got my starter kit today, going to give it a bash tomorrow.
    I got a bung and an airlock with the kit, should I cut a hole in the lid for this?

Also, this is the beer kit
    http://thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_13&products_id=19
    Do I need to add sugar other than when bottleing?? I can't see it mentioned anywhere but a few people here have talked about it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marceldesailly

think those kits are all malt so no need for sugar other than bottlin. no hole in the fermenter?strange! anyway i think you can leave it without cutting a hole, doubt the lid will blow off

When i took the 2 lids apart the one underneath has a hole in it :o

So no sugar needed today, great, I'm good to go so.

When I'm sanatising everything, is it necessary to sanatise a worktop for lying all the bits on when not in use? Should I sanatise my hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Probably a good idea to santise the work top. With regards your hands, I think a good rinsing with antibacterial soap is sufficient.

Do I need to add sugar other than when bottleing?

Yep around 80-100g of table sugar (boiled and cooler in some water) per 20 liters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

When I'm sanatising everything, is it necessary to sanatise a worktop for lying all the bits on when not in use? Should I sanatise my hands?
    I just have a bowl of sanitized water handy, all the bits (thermometer, paddle etc) live in here when not actually in use. a quick rinse under the cold tap before use, then back into the bowl.

think those kits are all malt so no need for sugar other than bottlin. no hole in the fermenter?strange! anyway i think you can leave it without cutting a hole, doubt the lid will blow off
    Yep around 80-100g of table sugar (boiled and cooler in some water) per 20 liters

Just to clarify as I'm going to tackle this for the first time today.
    Do I need to add sugar to my wort/yeast (first stage of the process) today?

I can't see it mentioned on the instructions here
    http://thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=58_59

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

You add sugar to the wort, when fermentation has finished, just before putting it into bottles.

• Advertisement

Blisterman wrote: »
    You add sugar to the wort, when fermentation has finished, just before putting it into bottles.

Perfect. So no sugar today then.
    Thanks.

Advertisement