Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homebrew Beer Howto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Saruman wrote: »
    You should be grand. You will find out tomorrow though :D
    If worst comes to worst, use some more yeast.

Hopefully :D So if the airlock is bubbling tomorrow I should be okay?

I don't have anymore yeast so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Remember me, a few pages back.

I made the Brewferm Tarwebier (wheat beer) with 500g of spray dried malt instead of the recommended 750g. From my OG to FG hydrometer readings, the abv was 4% (instead of the 5% if I had used 750g).

I used the recommended 150g of priming sugar; and this was perfect for this 15L batch.

After 1 week of priming it had a bit of a twang, but by week 2 was much better. Week 3 it was so nice that there are only 3 pints left :mad:.

Am about to make a double batch of Brewferm Grand Cru next. It is not recommended to use dme on this kit. Has anybody else here made up this kit. Have they used household sugar or a combination of household sugar and glucose or invert candi sugar or turbinado?

Was thinking of using glucose and turbinada 50-50 .......

I presume that brewing sugar is just glucose.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

My 21 bottles of Flip top beer arrived from Beer Angel today.

Placed the Order last Wednesday night and arrived today so a 4 day turn around which is not bad. Mainly Wheat beers but looking forward to them anyway :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

boopolo wrote: »
    I presume that brewing sugar is just glucose.
    Can't help you with the rest, but yes: brewing sugar is glucose is corn sugar.

Was unable to get turbinado, but got T&L golden syrup (partially inverted sugar) instead. Am not sure whether to use ordinary sugar or corn sugar for the remaining 50%.

Also am not sure whether to use the same amount of the golden syrup as a sugar replacement. Most other recipes I have seen seem to put it on par with sugar, but am inclined to think it could be +5% = 525g for the first 50%.

As I am doing a double batch, the total sugars would be 1kg (using normal sugar). If I decided to use corn sugar for the remaining 50% I think I should use 525g.

I suppose I could just put 500g of normal sugar, 500g Golden syrup and check to see if my OG is at 107.5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Quick update:

My beer arrived from Beerangel.com:
    DSCF2528.jpg
    I drank 5 of them last night, it's beautiful beer. I'll defo get more from these guys again. Am trying to keep track of my favourite ones.
    So far the 8% one was my fav:
    290_0.jpg
    Thanks for the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

That looks absolutely great! You have a very pleasant weekend ahead of you.

Last night I made up the two kits with 600g T&L Golden Syrup (partialy inverted sugar) and 500g table sugar.

Each of the kits were for 9 litres each, but I made it up to 19 litres total. The OG was 1.068 (instead of 1.075). I expect to get an ABV of 7.2%.

When I came down in the morning the airlock was bubbling away vigorously. By 10am it was pushing beer froth through the airlock so i released the lid a little. Cleaned and sanitized the airlock with boiling water and refitted it. Sealed the lid again at 7pm. Bubbling away goodo atm and the froth has stayed down.

The only problem I foresee later on is the waiting period. It's recommended to leave in the bottles for minimum of 8 weeks :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Could someone please post a link to the Beerangel.com offer. I could not find any beer package with just swingtops:mad: although if forced i could struggle on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

There is no special offer, If you read his post you will see he went through the site and picked each one himself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

45 pages !! You inderestimate my laziness Sir. Thanks for the answer though:D

Bill-e wrote: »
    Quick update:

My beer arrived from Beerangel.com:
    DSCF2528.jpg

Looks like Bill-e is in for a great weekend, not only has he got all that great beer it looks like from the picture he also has sing star? That's a dangerous combination :D;)

Clanger I never underestimate peoples laziness, I simply pretend to ignore it.

Update 2:

Drank most of that very fine beer :D did some work around the house DIY etc... while being half cut lol:rolleyes:. I have to say, for under 2 euro a pop (opening makes a lovely pop!) they are well worth it!
    I think there's like 5 bottles left now. Of the 15 or so that I had, I think there was 2 that I didn't take my fancy. I marked the labels for future reference.:cool:

@Saruman: Good observation, Sing star goes down a treat with some dutch courage. I shoulda gotten the wireless mics to prevent me from swinging them around the room and hitting people, TV's, windows etc...

@a clanger: E-mail them and ask for 21 unique swing cap bottle beers. Might work. It's a pitty they don't have a thing whereby people can send shopping carts to other people. I think I will invent such a thing and become rich!

Bill-e wrote: »
    I'm going to have a new beer every day for nearly a month :D
    Didn't think so :D

boopolo wrote: »
    Didn't think so :D

Hang on a sec, If I fill the empties with my latest batch of homebrew then by next week i could potentially be drinking a beer a day again. However, the firste weeks worth might be a little fresh....

Okay Okay. But it wont be a new beer each day, but I expect it to get better by the day ......

My Grand Cru is still bubbling (slowly) after near six days. Will rack this one to a second fermentor after a day or so. Will leave in the second one for a further week or more before bottling.

Then the long wait of minimum 8 weeks :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fjh79

hi all ive put down a coopers lager kit 1 week ago and was wondering if its ok to keg it now? how much sugar should i use? hopefully these questions arent too stupid but im a homebrew virgin and need to be nursed along!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

fjh79 wrote: »
    hi all ive put down a coopers lager kit 1 week ago and was wondering if its ok to keg it now? how much sugar should i use? hopefully these questions arent too stupid but im a homebrew virgin and need to be nursed along!!

You should really use a hydrometer to measure fermentation rather than time, but I would give it another week in the primary before transferring

For priming a 100g (per 20 liters of beer) of table sugar boil in some water and cooled is enough to prime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Have my first batch bottled and waiting until next week to test.

I have noticed that there is a good bit of sediment in the bottom of the bottles - is that normal or is my first batch doomed? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

That's normal, Mostly yeast probably.

If you want to reduce the amount, try leaving your beer in the bottling bucket to settle for longer next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Jugs82 wrote: »
    I have noticed that there is a good bit of sediment in the bottom of the bottles - is that normal or is my first batch doomed? :(

Yep, yeast have flocculated out and carbonated the beer

Its a week tonight since i bottled the beer - i was thinking of testing one or two bottles tonight and leave the rest for another 5 days or so..

Is it OK to try after a week? Sources are divided between 1 and 2 weeks!

Cheers, Ive got great help here guys, its greatly appreciated

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Is it OK to try after a week?
    Yes, it should be mostly carbonated, but probably won't be fully conditioned for another week, if it's at room temperature.

I always taste one bottle at a week to see how its going. It will not be conditioned fully so may feel a little weak in the mouth but it will be carbonated and taste just fine. Its amazing the difference after the second and subsequent weeks.

I have a bottle to taste on Saturday for instance. I am looking forward to it.

Tasted my first bottle last night and have to say i really enjoyed it :D Looking forward to tasting a few more this time next week

• Registered Users Posts: 31 readthecontract

Leaving mine until next week, can't wait hic hic

Hi. Am back.

It's been 19 days now since I pitched.

It is still bubbling once every so often. Should I be worried?

Is this normal for a high ABV beer?

Should I rack to a second fermentor? I am aware of the pros and cons of racking to second bucket.

No, I wouldn't be worried. I would rack it to secondary, but that's up to you.

It might be worth checking the gravity every couple of days, just to see how it's getting along.

Thanks BN,

Sanitizing bucket and syphon etc as I write :).

Took a gravity reading. It is 1.0075 (exactly halfway on black band which scales 1.010 to 1.005).

This is already below the recommended 1.010 FG, and is 8.1% ABV :eek: (recommended 8%)

• Advertisement

In that case it is up to you, if it is still fermenting a little then you can leave it, have more alcohol and less sweetness or bottle it now. Either way you already have a bucket ready for either secondary or for bottling :D

Advertisement