Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homebrew Beer Howto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Update on my woodfordes wherry brew....

Brew has been bottled for 4 weeks now. Curiosity got the better of me and i had a bottle after bout 2 weeks and found it very sharp, closest thing i can think to it would be grapefruit juice. It still hadn't cleared at that stage. Had another one a week later and pretty much the same story.

Had one tonight and I have to say that the flavour has improved greatly over the last week. The beer has cleared fully and the sharpness has mellowed out. Overall it has a lovely balance now. I'm delighted with how it turned out and i intend to happily enjoy a few more over the x-mas.

p.s. a quick thank you to the regular posters here. Info and knowledge is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Lgray

so i've realised now that the CO2 values are given in the calculator in the range depending on the type of beer-should pos engage brain before posting!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Lgray wrote: »
    so i've realised now that the CO2 values are given in the calculator in the range depending on the type of beer-should pos engage brain before posting!:D
    It didn't get it at first either!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

I see on thehomebrewcompany website that Muntons Milestone Range 3Kg are reduced. Anyone use any of these kits and have any recommendations?

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_98

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Right lads,

The mrs ha got me an iBrew kit for christmas as I've been harping on about brewing my own ale for a while now, but have been limited by space living in an apartment.

So the iBrew is a great way for me to test the waters, (ferment them and drink them as it were too.)

I've done a lot of reading up on kit brewing and just have a few questions.

After I've left the mix ferment for a week, I'm to siphon into the 2 10pt PET bottles with a length of tubing. Am I running the risk of introducing bacteria from my mouth doing this?
    And if so any tips on avoiding it? Edit - Found a good tip on the ICB page for avoid this by using a biro.

Secondly - With an ingredient kit such as this, what additions would I need to the iBrew set up? (Other then more PET/ and or glass bottles and a capper and a bigger fermenting vat)
    Would a kit like that take to being dispensed via the iBrew system with the CO2?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I got the kit for my bday in November :)

I'm just coming to the end of the process now, ready to put into the fridge and have some drinks for NYE :)

Can't wait for that.

The siphoning part is fairly messy tbh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

A-Trak wrote: »
    Would a kit like that take to being dispensed via the iBrew system with the CO2?
    Yeah, beer is beer, once it's fermented and conditioned -- any dispense method will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Hey, fist time brewer here. Thanks for all the info so far from everyone!

Anyway the brew kit instructions say to start bottling it after 4 days! This seems very quick considering on the first post here it says two weeks and other places you see 7 to 10 days. So when should I do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭oconn

4 days is a bit short...i'd leave it 2 weeks min. its worth leaving it to make sure fermentation is done ( verify with hydrometer if you can) but leaving it for enought time at the right temp then everyhing willbe fine...then either move to secondary fermenter or bottle and leave for another few weeks.

Thanks! Just under 24 hours now and nothing has happend yet, temp steady at 22C What about washing the bottles in the dishwasher? is that ok?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

So, I drank some of the iBrew ale last night.

I liked it, tasty ale alright, but a few questions.

1. It was cloudy, and there was sediment in the glass. Is this normal, or should it be clear?

2. When I opened the 10litre keg there was a "pssssshhhh" sound, like when you open a bottle of coke, I screwed in the tapping mechanism, and then one of the CO2 bulbs, and poured a glass of beer. There was no head, and the beer itself was very flat. I'm not too concerned about this, because I also had some cans of Boddingtons, and that was as flat as the home brew, but it did have a head. Compared to the home brew though, the Boddingtons tasted like water.

3. After about four or five pints poured, the stream coming out of the tap fell off to a trickle and I had to abandon the tap and just straight pour from the keg into a glass, what happened there?

Thanks folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Beau wrote: »
    Thanks! Just under 24 hours now and nothing has happend yet, temp steady at 22C What about washing the bottles in the dishwasher? is that ok?

Perfect but do NOT add any detergent. In fact the dishwasher should provide enough heat to sanitise the bottles .

Do not rely on this method to clean the bottles though as the water can not get in through the mouths, that you do after you have used them. Just rinse under the tap a couple of times till clean.

Des I have not had any experience with the Ibrew as I am far too complicated for that (full kegerator draft system) but...

1 - Cloudy is normal as is the sediment. You have a live beer exactly as nature intended. There are things you can do to clear the beer a little when you do advanced brewing but the simplest thing is leave it in the fridge for a few weeks and this will clear a lot of the yeast to the bottom. More sediment at the bottom but a clearer beer.
    There is plenty of flavour in the sediment though so experiment and try the beer with all the yeasty goodness as you might prefer it like that.

2 - Again the head depends largely on the ingredients and with a kit, you have little control unless you add a fining to give better head :D Anyway a head can be formed by agitation so gravity is your friend here. Pour from a height and as long as there is carbonation, a head (short lived maybe) will form. To re form, swirl the beer in the glass. This will not work if the beer is flat though.

3 - You ran out of pressure from the sounds of things. I believe you top it up with another co2 bulb? Having not used the Ibrew system I can not say for certain though.

Saruman wrote: »
    Perfect but do NOT add any detergent.

Aw crap, I already did. It'll be awhile till I bottle so I'll wash them again without. Thanks.

The top off the airlock popped off in the middle of the night tonight, I just woke up so I think I caught it just after it happening so hopefully its ok. I'm happy in away, at least that shows that there is something happening! Would have expected to see bubbles in the airlock by now. I may have messed around to much with the airlock (I wanted to make sure it was sealed properly), water may have gotten into the beer which would contaminate it.

I need a capper, I'm in Dublin. Is there a shop I can buy one from? I don't want to pay for delivery.

The top off the airlock popped off in the middle of the night tonight, I just woke up so I think I caught it just after it happening so hopefully its ok.
    It should be fine.

I may have messed around to much with the airlock (I wanted to make sure it was sealed properly)
    Perhaps, but again, you should be fine. Some people don't even bother with airlocks. The accumulation of the CO2 acts as a seal in itself. CO2 is heavier than air so it sits on top of the beer thus creating a natural layer of protection. The Airlock is just an extra level of protection.

water may have gotten into the beer which would contaminate it.
    The amount of water that may or may not have entered your beer from the Airlock would be so minuscule that unless you used water from the local sewage works you should be fine ;)

You should be fine yes, I would be more concerned with the quality of a kit that suggests bottling after 4 days. What kit is it?

There are no home brew shops in Dublin (Athlone is closest) per say but some health stores have been known to stock some stuff. Chances are you will have to pay for shipping. It is only €7 from the Irish suppliers so add some stuff in to the order to make it seem worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Saruman wrote:
    I would be more concerned with the quality of a kit that suggests bottling after 4 days.
    Sounds like an excellent recipe for bottle bombs.

Saruman wrote: »
    You should be fine yes, I would be more concerned with the quality of a kit that suggests bottling after 4 days. What kit is it?

Coopers Original Lager 1.7 Kg

I re read the instructions and it actually says 4 days if you have the temp up at 27C and 6 days at 21C. I have it at about 21C, its bubbling away now so I'll take a hydrometer reading on the 9th day and a second one on the 10th day to see if its done.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

glad you got something that tasted like ale, Des- despite a few problems.
    I'm near the end of my ibrew lager cycle and not holding out much hope for a tasty result. found there was very little action during the initial ferment think the cold night-time temperatures leading up to christmas were the problem. still - I had the milky/yeasty sediment when siphoning so perhaps all is not lost. another few days will tell.
    If it works i'd recommend the ibrew system as an easy way of brewing your own - but I think beginners need more detailed instructions and a step by step breakdown of what to expect at each stage of the process (but that's a gripe with ibrew)

Coopers Original Lager 1.7 Kg

I re read the instructions and it actually says 4 days if you have the temp up at 27C and 6 days at 21C. I have it at about 21C, its bubbling away now so I'll take a hydrometer reading on the 9th day and a second one on the 10th day to see if its done.

Thanks again.

Somehow I suspected it was this one :D

27 degrees? wow that would be nasty. Even 21 is too high. 18 is better as the yeast generates heat so whatever the temp of the room is, add a few more degrees.

Ah feck it sure we'll see how it turns out.

What's your favorite beer kit? Just for when I order the capper, might as well get a decent kit next time! So do you reckon my plan of checking it after 9 days is solid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

Hello there,

just got my first starter kit. Is there much point in trying out the first batch any time soon (house seems to be constantly freezing whether heatings on or not), should I wait till I can be abit more sure of steady 20-24 degree tmperatures?
    I'd appreciate any advise!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If you're getting temps below 17 inside you might be best waiting. But even at that you can still do it, it'll just take longer. You could also invest in a brewbelt, or even just wrap the fermentor in a duvet.

I have not brewed in this cold yet as my water is off a lot of the time so nothing to brew with but you can still go ahead.

I have a thermostat controlled panel heater in my spare room which I set to 18c It turns off once it reaches that temp.

Cover your fermenter in a towel or blanket or even an old shirt or jacket to keep it warm (and keep out light).

Beau just get a good quality kit, one that does not require the addition of sugar. They usually come in a two can kit. Also if do use something calling for sugar, use spraymalt instead.

Order yourself a few bags of light spraymalt in your next order regardless as it is always useful to have when kit brewing and for extract brewing.
    I would suggest getting 6 bags of 500g light or extra light spraymalt. Don't bother with dark as even a stout uses light.

I don't have a favourite beer kit, I have not done a kit in a while and I always altered (experimented) them to my liking so not sure what they were like before I did that.
    A lot of people have had good results with the Woodfords wherry kit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

Brilliant stuff lads, thanks a million......no doubt I'll be on to you again looking for advice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Helmet wrote: »
    Hello there,

just got my first starter kit. Is there much point in trying out the first batch any time soon (house seems to be constantly freezing whether heatings on or not), should I wait till I can be abit more sure of steady 20-24 degree tmperatures?
    I'd appreciate any advise!

well - just tasted mine (ibrew kit) which was left to ferment in a spare bedroom - it was almost definitely not up to 20deg anytime during the fermenting process - I left it a bit longer (2 weeks as opposed to 1 week for initial ferment -then 2 weeks in dispensing bottles) and it seems to have worked - though having problems getting it out of the bottles - gas doesn't seem to be working - I'll figure something out - wouldn't want to waste it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Got a starter kit for xmas from Home Brew West, a 25l bucket with all the extras and a Coopers Draught kit.

The coopers instructions said ferment it for 4 - 7 days at 21 - 27 degrees and then bottle. I was a bit worried after reading some comments here but I stuck with the instructions, had it at around 24 Degrees with a brew belt and bottled it after 7 days.

I tried a few bottles over the weekend (only bottled about a week and half at this stage) and they taste great! I was worried it would be un-drinkable muck but thats not the case. I'll let it mature now in the bottles and see if it improves over the next few weeks.

The only problem is I used a full kilogram of brewing sugar as per instructions and according to my hydrometer readings the ABV is 7.2%! Is 1kg too much sugar for 23 litres? I know most people prefer spraymalt etc. but if using the standard brewing sugar what's the recommended amount?

Anyway, I'm definitely into the homebrew now - going to try an I.P.A. next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

revileandy wrote: »
    Got a starter kit for xmas from Home Brew West, a 25l bucket with all the extras and a Coopers Draught kit.

The coopers instructions said ferment it for 4 - 7 days at 21 - 27 degrees and then bottle. I was a bit worried after reading some comments here but I stuck with the instructions, had it at around 24 Degrees with a brew belt and bottled it after 7 days.

I tried a few bottles over the weekend (only bottled about a week and half at this stage) and they taste great! I was worried it would be un-drinkable muck but thats not the case. I'll let it mature now in the bottles and see if it improves over the next few weeks.

The only problem is I used a full kilogram of brewing sugar as per instructions and according to my hydrometer readings the ABV is 7.2%! Is 1kg too much sugar for 23 litres? I know most people prefer spraymalt etc. but if using the standard brewing sugar what's the recommended amount?

Anyway, I'm definitely into the homebrew now - going to try an I.P.A. next :)

Sounds like I got the same kit as you for Christmas, your results sound very encouraging.
    I only brewed on Saturday night so early days yet. I used the full kg as instructed too and my OG reading came out a bit higher than expected, will let you know how it works out.

Did you use the supplied plastic bottles or did you have glass ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

dub_skav wrote:
    Sounds like I got the same kit as you for Christmas, your results sound very encouraging.
    I only brewed on Saturday night so early days yet. I used the full kg as instructed too and my OG reading came out a bit higher than expected, will let you know how it works out.

Did you use the supplied plastic bottles or did you have glass ones?

I got a kit without any bottles - I didn't like the sound of drinking beer from plastic! I went around to the local boozer and he gave me three crates and 60 brown 330ml bottles for €11.

Yes, my OG was very high too, according to the hydrometer I was in wine making territory! I'm thinking 700 - 800 grams of brew sugar would have done the trick, maybe someone here with more experience could shed some light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 aurthurg

I'm bottling up my first batch of home brew at the end of the week and was wondering has anyone got any tips for easily sterilising your bottles quickly and easily.

Was thinking of a good rinse and then baking them in the oven with foil seals for 30 minutes at the max temp?

Any opinions?

• Advertisement

aurthurg wrote: »
    I'm bottling up my first batch of home brew at the end of the week and was wondering has anyone got any tips for easily sterilising your bottles quickly and easily.

Was thinking of a good rinse and then baking them in the oven with foil seals for 30 minutes at the max temp?

Any opinions?
    Sterilising bottles is a pain whatever way you do them, and everybody has their own way.

The best/easiest/quickest solution seems to be to use a non rinse solution.

You can either use Star San Sanitiser

or you could go the cheaper homemade option of a Vinegar and Bleach solution. Read this thread for more details.
    This is what I've been using for the last while and I've had no problems so far.

Note: Do not mix bleach and vinegar together neat! This will create Chlorine Gas which is very dangerous! Only add these to the water.

Advertisement