Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New DSL Wholesale Prices 24 / 01 onwards big push on Timed

Options
  • 03-01-2006 12:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

€4 (ex vat) off the timed product , thats about €5 a month incl Vat , see Here

1 new product is an entry level non timed product 1024/128 as the current entry is upgraded . Its quite keenly priced . Also expect retail announcements today but no special promotions from 24th Jan from what I can see ...not that you need them if the entry level is keenly priced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Is it just me or does that link show up a blank page for others aswell?

What's the price of the entry level price Sponge Bob?

Edit: I got the link working now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Does that mean that the timed product is doing well or badly? I hope badly but I have had too many people ask me about it to believe that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Sponge Bob wrote:
    €4 (ex vat) off the timed product , thats about €5 a month incl Vat

So they believe that people will rush to broadband, because like their dialup, they will get charged for every minute of usage ?!?!?

The manager in charge of product development should be congradulated for helping Ireland drop further down the list in terms of broadband penetration.
    Soon they are going to be boasting about being ahead of Iraq in terms of broadband access!!!

zuma wrote:
    So they believe that people will rush to broadband, because like their dialup, they will get charged for every minute of usage ?!?!?

Horribly it seems to be working though! I have had people say "I'm looking at the timed option as I don't use the internet much." Generally I do my best to talk them out of this but people do seem to think it is a good offer.

EDIT: Is there a min contract on "time"? If you can upgrade to real broadband for no additional charge at ANY time you like, it is slightly less s***.

paulm17781 wrote:
    Horribly it seems to be working though! I have had people say "I'm looking at the timed option as I don't use the internet much." Generally I do my best to talk them out of this but people do seem to think it is a good offer.

All timed products tned to stagnate BB usage, which eircom like as downloads like myself scare the crap out of them!!!!

Anyone with kiddies will learn their lesson after a couple of months!!!

What is truly scary is that you must physically turn off the BB equipment so as not to get charged, reminds me of disconnection the cable when using dialup and winding it back into a roll as it was not worth my time tacking it to the wall.
    My Cat5e is firmly in place these days :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

there is also NEW entry level 1024 product which appears as if it could be brought to market in the €25 a month bracket . We could yet see a combined untimed 1024 and line rental for €49.99 a month incl vat ????

the current entry level gets upgraded to 2048 for around €40 a month

a downgrade costs €15 ex vat wholesale

so there is some interesting pricing and packaging this time apart from that yellowpack timed yoke. Of more interest is the lack of promotions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

2Mbps inc line rental is already available for €50 a month.

There's a 512kbps product as well, or is that the timed lark?

that 512k is a legacy product , its their original 512k product from 2003

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

But you can't buy it at retail level, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

Sponge Bob wrote:
    We could yet see a combined untimed 1024 and line rental for €49.99 a month incl vat.

Is BT not already offering line rental and 1024 BB for 40 Euro per month??

• Advertisement

Eircom people.....Line Rental is ~€24+ new charge for 1m/128k at €25 is what was being talked about.

Expect BT to offer it for mabye €35 a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Found the following while perusing the eircom wholesale site http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/products/subproduct_details.asp?id=71.

A 90% pre-qualification rate nationwide and a continual drive to increase DSL penetration.

I wonder how they calculated that figure.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

paulm17781 wrote:
    Does that mean that the timed product is doing well or badly?

I would say badly, they have finally done what I want, introduce an entry level always-on product for about €25. This shows that the timed product failed, it wasn't driving the uptake that they wanted, so they have finally given us what we always wanted.

It looks like the timed product will become a stepping stone between dial-up and real bb for many people, which isn't a bad thing for a price of probably about €15, I just hope they make it easy for people to upgrade.

I'm actually really happy about this move by Eircom, with this price point we will finally see mass market uptake.

I know I talk about NTL too much, but it is interesting to note that Eircoms products now closely match NTL:

NTL 1m/100k - €25
    Eircom 1m/128k ~ €25

NTL 2m/200k - €35
    Eircom 2m/256k ~ €40

NTL 3m/300k - €40
    Eircom 3m/384k ~ €54

(Note the upload speeds actually end up being about the same due to overhead on Eircoms products).

Who says Eircom isn't worried about NTL. I hope (and expect) that NTL will up their speeds soon to keep the performance gap between them and Eircom.

bk wrote:
    I would say badly, they have finally done what I want, introduce an entry level always-on product for about €25. This shows that the timed product failed, it wasn't driving the uptake that they wanted, so they have finally given us what we always wanted.
    I would say the same BK .
    It looks like the timed product will become a stepping stone between dial-up and real bb for many people, which isn't a bad thing for a price of probably about €15, I just hope they make it easy for people to upgrade.
    Essentially its souped up flatrate at flat rate prices .
    I'm actually really happy about this move by Eircom, with this price point we will finally see mass market uptake.
    Close, needs to go to €19.99 and may do so in a bundle, how bout talktime (normally 30 ) + the new 1mbit) normally 25 I;d say, bundled at €49.99 .
    I know I talk about NTL too much, but it is interesting to note that Eircoms products now closely match NTL:
    I had noted, now shuddup about UGC willya :D
    Who says Eircom isn't worried about NTL.
    Ohhhhhh Yes They ARE ! , but I said as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

zuma wrote:
    All timed products tned to stagnate BB usage, which eircom like as downloads like myself scare the crap out of them!!!!

Anyone with kiddies will learn their lesson after a couple of months!!!

What is truly scary is that you must physically turn off the BB equipment so as not to get charged, reminds me of disconnection the cable when using dialup and winding it back into a roll as it was not worth my time tacking it to the wall.
    My Cat5e is firmly in place these days :cool:
    The last few BB Time customers that I setup had received a small little prick of a Netopia modem that is USB only. It's about the size of a fag packet and switched off with the PC.
    This one: http://www.netopia.com/equipment/products/3000/3300p.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

bk wrote:
    with this price point we will finally see mass market uptake.
    Let's not forget that pricing is only one component of the story of achieving mass market uptake.
    Availability will not rise with cheaper prices, which are of course welcome and necessary.
    And the historically developed stagnation of Internet usage Ireland (only 38% of households having any form of Internet connection) due to overpriced dial-up, will not disappear.

Latest figures of point topic show that the UK has now more than a three times higher broadband connectivity (connections per capita), France has three times the Irish bb connectivity, and even the laggard Germany has double the Irish figure.
    (UK 9.8 million bb lines with a 63 million pop; 16.9 per 100;
    France 9.7 million bb lines with a 58 million pop; 15.4 per 100;
    Germany 8.4 million bb lines with a 88 million pop; 10.3 per 100;
    Ireland 0.2 million bb lines with a 4 million pop; 5.25 per 100)

Ireland is not catching up or reaching the EU average.

Interesting is the UK proposition in the REGISTER article that BT agreed with OFCOM not to hinder a successful LLU start up and will not be lowering its broadband pricing until such time as 1.5 million LLU connections are reached – which is expected to happen within 2006.

P.

BT agreed with OFCOM not to hinder a successful LLU start up and will not be lowering its broadband pricing until such time as 1.5 million LLU connections are reached – which is expected to happen within 2006.

Sigh.......

Why do BT do this? Are they now making more from LLU than traditional telephony? It just seems odd to be promoting competition. Maybe I should work for Eircon. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Let's not forget that pricing is only one component of the story of achieving mass market uptake.
    Availability will not rise with cheaper prices, which are of course welcome and necessary.
    And the historically developed stagnation of Internet usage Ireland (only 38% of households having any form of Internet connection) due to overpriced dial-up, will not disappear.

I agree completely, however it is a very necessary step in the right direction. I know of many people who are currently on dialup, who will happily move to a €20 - €25 bb product, it will boost uptake, but not as much as it needs to. But I do believe we are reaching a tilting point.

and the 'new ' one Mbit product makes me less despondent about the reach of DSL and therefore availability in the wild .

1mbit can work quite far beyond the eircom 4.5km limit where 2mits may not although eircom only actually guarantee 256k on RADSL products anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Daemonic wrote:
    I wonder how they calculated that figure.
    Badly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement