Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a DELL Dimension 8300

Options
  • 03-01-2006 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

I am currently considering updrading my dimension (having mulled over just biting the bullet and buying a new one.... but a new(er) car has won over instead!!). Currently its a Dimension 8300

3.06 (H Thread),
    1 Gb RAM,
    DVD+RW,
    128Mb 9800 Radeon (AGP),
    19" CRT,
    5.1 creative sound.

In truth it does okay on pretty much all the FPS games I own (really the only genre I play). I'm sure folks can fixate on frames / sec and the like, but it runs my COD 2 and FEAR okay albeit with not all the bells and whistles it could do. The upgrades I am considering are

Monitor (will use the 19 CRT as my second monitor) : http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CCB0OG/ref=wl_it_dp/202-0149261-3663035?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=I1WHI0ZEG9L5L5&colid=1GV70I6U3PJT3

RAM (total after upgrade of 2GB, wrote to Komplett.ie and they tell me this ram is compatiple with my desktop??... verify??): http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=309843&cks=CMS

Graphics card: really looking for advice here.... I'm in the market for one at around €250ish or perhaps a shade more if the recomendation was good.

Any chance you guys could give me some advice on, if these upgrades will get me the 12 - 18 months life that I would like to squeeze out of this system, if I should be cutting my losses and trying to flog my current PC and start a fresh, Should I be looking at a processor upgrade and if so what my options are in that respect.... basically any and all advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

i upgraded my dell 9800pro to a 6800gt from jes.de...

i'll definately recommend it!
    [edit]: they don't do them anymore it seems but there's a sapphire x800gto there that i've heard good things about!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

Cheers Doc.... I'll have a peek at that one and see what I make of it. Anyone else care to offer some alternatives or comments on the scheme in general?...

Cheers.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

just got that monitor from amazon. really good monitor, tried NSFMW on it, with max settings, looks reallll nice... dvds are good on it as well

Advertisement