Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air pistol licence

Options
  • 03-01-2006 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

So, applied for my air pistol licence on Friday. We'll see how it goes, but prior to filling out the form, I'd asked my local garda and was told there wouldn't be any problems with it. It's for a Baikal IZH-46M:

izh46_46m.gif

A bit basic, but more than up to the job; this was the first card I shot in the Paddy Ashe Cup in December with one (under authorisation, obviously):

AP1a.jpg

Pity the rest of the cards weren't that good :(

AP_All2.jpg

Still though, with my own pistol to practise with, I'm hoping to get much better :D (Being able to modify the grip will help a lot too - I shoot pistol cross-dominant, and it's a bit more of a deal with pistol than with rifle :( )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Best of luck with the application Sparks, Good to hear that your local squad are not muddying the waters for you and hoping that it will go smoothly for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Actually the local garda's been very good over the last few years CD. Has no problem with firearms and while I don't think he shoots himself, he knows enough about to sport to know what's what. Plus, I made sure to let him know well ahead of time that I was going to apply for this and put together a sheet showing what the pistol looked like, what calibre it was and so on (ISSF airgun stuff seems thin on the ground locally for some reason - I think I may well be one of the only people with one in Greystones!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

Now why on earth would they refuse you that pee shooter? Go for a spud gun next time, a little more powerful and ammo is fairly cheap. ;)

Can't shoot in the Olympics with a spud gun Riggser!
    Besides, you can make all the bang you want with them there 45's, but I'm more interested in what's happening at the other end of the range ;)

Sparks wrote:
    I'm more interested in what's happening at the other end of the range ;)

I wouldn't stand there if I were you, a lot of lead will be going that direction.:D

• Advertisement

Well, if we can't go to the other end of the range, we just bring the other end of the range to us :D

DSCF2668.JPG

DSCF2628.JPG

DSCF1862a.JPG

looking very feminine these days sparks or is that LB6?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Best of luck with the purchase Sparks, my new toy arrived in the post this morning , makes a bit more noise than the IZ but both will be just as much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

jpwtua.jpg

Best of luck with the new pistols guys!

I think I'll stick to P Div for a while, I think it's gonna get very hot in Standard.

Riggser wrote:
    looking very feminine these days sparks or is that LB6?
    Not me or LB6 Riggser, that's one of the UCDRC/WTSC lady shooters.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

les45 wrote:
    Best of luck with the purchase Sparks, my new toy arrived in the post this morning , makes a bit more noise than the IZ but both will be just as much fun.

How much did that cost ya?

A touch under 3, with the spare mags.

'Bout the same as mine so Les. Though I think my running costs may be a wee bit lower ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I suspect there may be an order of magnitude or so of variance in the prices somehow...

You meant 3 grand???
    Bloody hell. What's the accuracy like on that thing les?

I am assured by the Gunsmith that it can shoot , 5 rnds into 50mm at 50M, I will keep you posted after the weekend. The pistol was built in Germany, using a Les Baer Upper and a STI Frame with lots of other bits and bobs, the round capacity is 18 plus 1 of .40.

50mm at 50m? From a rest I take it :D
    Okay, so that's up to 25mm either side for a bullet with radius 5mm, so 20mm in 50m so arctan .020/50 = 1.05MOA? And for the Baikal, which will hold 6mm from a rest with ease (as will pretty much all modern airguns really), that's 3mm either side, pellet with radius 2.25mm so .75mm in 10m so arctan .00075/10 = 0.26MOA? Anyone check my math here?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭seamusgi4szw

Well, what about 50mm at 50 m ???????????????
    Must say the gun looks the part, pity about the shooter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    oooooh, its gone all quiet ?

Didn't go quiet seamus, the thread wanderd off into the setup of the charity match over here. I'm still waiting to hear about the licence, but it's only been a bit over a week so far.

I'm still waiting to hear about the licence, but it's only been a bit over a week so far.[/QUOTE]

HUH!, Takes us norferners 5 months to get a variation or a grant, so much for a new computor system ??:)

• Advertisement

same again,
    cheers all

i'm repeating posts , ah well, old age is getting to me.

Any News on the Licence !

None so far les!

Just got the phone call from my local FO, and the licence is waiting for me down at the station! Huzzah! That's a day shy of three weeks from application to grant, and with New Year's in the middle of it, for those keeping track.

Right, now I can have even more fun :)

(and next licence is for an IZH-35 .22lr pistol - but that'll be sometime later this year! :D )

Advertisement