Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 03-01-2006 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

I was told recently that there are only 6 colours on the rainbow flag. As we all know there's 7 in an actual rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet)

Anybody know why there's a missing colour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

For a disappointingly prosaic reason: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_flag#Gay_pride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

cheers, should've thought of checking there!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Cactus Col wrote:
    I was told recently that there are only 6 colours on the rainbow flag. As we all know there's 7 in an actual rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet)

Anybody know why there's a missing colour?

Because violet and indigo are basically just purple. Having them counted as 2 seperate colours in the rainbow was originally a fudge back in the days when 7 was considered a holy number. The idea of a rainbow having 7 colours in gradually declining in popularity, in favour of the more accurate 6 colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hunter S

Stark wrote:
    Because violet and indigo are basically just purple. Having them counted as 2 seperate colours in the rainbow was originally a fudge back in the days when 7 was considered a holy number. The idea of a rainbow having 7 colours in gradually declining in popularity, in favour of the more accurate 6 colours.

I heard it was declining in popularity casue everyone was getting the gay...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭robo

Did nobody hear this little saying...

Ring Out Your Great Bells In Victory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Roy G Biv?

Advertisement