Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your top 5 games of the year

Options
  • 03-01-2006 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Vote here

5 Pro Evolution 5 PC/Ps2 Konami
    Game is amazing but online mode was done very well and it simply works.

4 Battlefield 2 PC Dice
    Still playing it after 6 months now with CTF but still thje basic damn good online game is there.

3 Mario 64 DS Nintendo
    How can a 9 year old game get a lick of paint and still be head and shoulders above any other platforming game out there with only one exception see below.

2 Psyconauts PC Double Fine Productions
    A game as good as Mario 64 /Banjo Kazooie but with the funniess of Monkey Island all in a simply stunning game, platforming at its best. Collect collect jump run dodge etc. When done right its worth it, this game is worth it.

1 Resident Evil 4 Ps2
    18 hours of shooting zombies in the face, from the 1st level to the one im on :p game gets better and better.

Unlucky loser, Lego Star Wars.... yeah so what i loved it :D

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Only 2 games are worthy of a place in my top games of the year...

Resident Evil 4 (GC and PS2)
    A total no brainer when it came to picking my brother's christmas present this year.
    Any game that made me totally forget about breaking up with a girl back on march 17th is obviously something very special.
    almost 6 (i think) playthroughs later and it still seems fresh:)

F.E.A.R. (PC)
    fire fights that set your pulse racing and a creepy little girl in a red dress... gaming heaven:)

I'll definitely be checking out Psychonauts after all the hype, and will have a Nintendo DS by the weekend - so MKDS and Nintendogs may very well be late additions to my list:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's hard to choose my top 5 games of the year. Thought it was a great year for games.

1. Resident Evil 4
    Absolutely brilliant action game. For a game that is almost 20 hours long it's amazing how Capcom kept the quality of the game so high.

2. Shadow of the Colossus
    Stunning to look at. The atmosphere the game creates is amazing and the fights with the colossi are absolutely epic. It's all helped along by probably the best score written for any piece of entertainment. Loses out to Resi for being too short and the atrocious framerate.

3. Meteos
    Insanely addictive puzzle game for the DS. It's perfect for the short play sessions of handheld gaming. Lumines would probably be on this list but i really haven't played it enough

4. F.E.A.R.
    Loved this FPS to bits. It may have been the same bad guys over and over again but due to the superb level design and enemy A.I. every firefight was different. Particle effects were also amazing. It was great looking at the mess you left in a room after a mill up. Decent story as well and some great scares.

5. God of War
    Not sure if I preferred GoW or DMC3 but at the moment I prefer GoW. The fighting system was great and due to it's complexity the fights never got samey. It looks absolutely gorgeous for a PS2 game. Atmosphere is spot on and the score is fantastic. Kratos is also one of the best new games characters. Retr0gamer doesn't like the lack of boss fights especially when the ones that are present are so good.

Special mentions in no particular order:
    Gunstar Super Heroes, Astro Boy, Nintendogs, Warioware Twisted, Mario and Luigi, Mario Kart, Kirby Canvas Course, Baten Kaitos, Wipeout Pure, Lumines, Viewtiful Joe 2, Metal Gear Solid 2, We Love Katamari, Brothers in Arms 2, Call of Duty 2, Prince of Persia 3, Megaman Anniversary collection.

I'm sure I left a few out.

Edit: Must play Psychonauts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I don't play console games much so my list is quite PC-oriented, and I'm limiting it to games I've actually played rather than games someone has hyped the sh1t out of:

5. GTA liberty city stories (psp) - sure its more of the same - more of the same stuff I love so much, in convenient handheld form.

4. Need for speed most wanted (pc) - way better than expected, less pimp my micra, more drive fast cars.

3. Burnout Revenge (xbox) - Great fun, but a bit too easy now that you can just plough through same-way traffic. Road rage mode is still stupidly fun, especially with 2 players. Apparently you can play it on live 2, but I haven't tried it. Can you tell I like driving games yet?

2. Call of Duty 2 (pc) - I thought this was excellent, especially the Stalingrad levels at the start. Very intense.

1. Day of Defeat source (pc) - Cheap and fun, but needs lots more good maps. I wasn't expecting to still be addicted to this so many months later, but it has me hooked. I had a hard time choosing between the high quality single player experience of CoD 2 and this for the no.1 spot.
    There's just something about source engine games that feels right to me when it comes to multiplayer.

Honourable mention: Battlefield 2 (pc). Started out promising, but so many bugs and the high ratio of f**king idiots and stat whores to sane people playing it kind of ruined it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Loved DoD:S as well. Playing in public servers is usually a far better experience than BF2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

for me (in no particular order)

Warriors
    res evil 4
    dawn of war (finally finished it just recently)
    shadow of the colossus
    fable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

no order:

FEAR
    GoW
    The Movies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

World of Warcraft
    Pro Evo 5
    Football Manager 5
    Civilisation 4

They are the only ones I have really played this year but they are all bloody class games. Between Civ4, FM5 and WOW I dont really have time to play any others. Plus, I can hardly find enough time to play them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

5. GTA: Liberty City Stories
    Not the best GTA, but still GTA. With wi-fi multiplayer. The core gameplay is great.

4. Fahrenheit
    Only lasted a weekend, but a very memorable weekend. The story started out great and while I didn't like how it went towards the end it was still a wonderful game.

3. Call of Duty 2
    It's very, very rare that a FPS grabs me but this one well and truly has. Very immersive single player experience that made me want to play through again, and addictive multiplayer no matter how rubbish I may be :)

2. Civilisation 4
    The perfect strategy game. It's a work of art, infinitely replayable with superb gameplay mechanics and AI. It never ever gets boring. It can be far too addictive though.

1. World of Warcraft
    I was in two minds about giving it number 1, because I can't honestly say the gameplay is particularly great. But that hasn't stopped me spending hundreds upon hundreds of hours (more than every other game put together) in it's beautifully crafted wonderfully immersive world. The gameplay isn't important, the world and it's inhabitants are. I've spent so many days and nights wrapped up in its world, I've laughed, I've cried(ok I haven't really), I've spent nights dedicated to finally beating that boss who destroyed us the last time, I've spent nights where I never left the city and just messed around, I've spent lunch breaks from work checking up on my auctions, I've made up contests with friends like treasure hunts and races through low level dungeons, right now I have my shiny xbox 360 and I just got Mario & Luigi: Partners in time for the DS, but I still went back and created a new character on WoW the other day.

Apart from WoW, I think my top 5 would be completely different depending what mood I was in when you asked me. There's been GT4, MGS3, Mercury, even this years Need for Speed game is very, very good. There's also a lot of games this year that I should have played but haven't, including Resi 4, God of War, FEAR, Prince of Persia. And that's mainly because of World of Warcraft. It's beyond addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Resident Evil 4
    Warioware Touched
    Lego Star Wars
    Virtua Tennis PSP
    Ridge Racer PSP

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No particular order here:

Resident Evil 4
    Mario Kart DS
    Astro Boy: Omega Factor
    Super Mario 64 DS
    Meteos

TBH, it's been a very handheld-dominated year for me. Haven't played that many of the big home console releases this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Honestly havent played a whole lot of new games this year... but Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube and Nintendogs stand out from the few that i have played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

In no particular order

Lumines (psp)
    Everybody's Golf (psp)
    Pro Evo 5 (xbox)
    Call of Duty 2 (360)
    Wario Ware Touched (DS)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

not be best ever year for gaming, the only standout for me beign Resi 4 on GC, still havent stopped playing it.

and Pro Evo 5, hated when i first booted up but now, my god, what a game.. the most addictive thing since toast with strawberry jam on. pity work gets in the way of playing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

Definitely has to be DOD:S for me too. Put far too much time into this game to be healthy. Stuck in the middle of a firefight, seeing soldeirs flying back after the bullets hit them and thier helmets flying off and rolling aorund in the dirt while the bullets whizz past your ear is just incredible. And beats Cod2's crappy death animations into a cocked hat.

Other than that id have to go for Resi 4 aswell, WOW was a great waste of time until i got bored of it, same goes for BF2, until it was ruined by stat whores.
    Oh and stephen, if youre interested, i sincerely urge you to download this:
    http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/DoD_Source_Saving_Private_Ryan_Soundpack;49598
    Its jsut brand new sounds for dod. I thought the stock sounds were brilliant until i heard this! Its incredible how much it adds to the game, all the sounds are sampled from saving private ryan, and aside from one or 2 weapons sounding a bit gay (K98, garand, sniper rifles) its absolutely incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'm ranking mine on most played during the year, but not necessarily released in 2005.

1. Luminies (PSP)
    2. Burnout Revenge (PS2)
    3. F.E.A.R. (PC)
    4. Darwinia (PC) - Great little game. Well worth the $20 odd asking price.
    5. Call of Duty 2 (PC)

Still have plenty more to work through over the next few months. X3 Reunion and Civilization 4 to name 2.

TC

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

In no particular order:

1. God Of War
    2. Resi 4
    3. Pro Evo 5
    4. Wipeout Pure
    5. Football Manager 2006 (maybe not a big movement from 2005 but I always get hooked!)

My disappointment of the year goes to the cack Gaelic Games Football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

In no particular order:

Call of duty 2 (pc)
    advanced wars DS
    resident evil 4 (GC)
    Pes 5
    HL 2 (PC)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

(1) BF2
    Class game. Best online game at moment

(2) Resident Evil 4 - PS2
    Love this game, killing my BF2 and CoD2 online time. Have loved all the RE games so that is prob why its at number 2

(3) Call of Duty 2(PC)
    Single player in this is class. Havent really started into the online gaming yet

(4) Day of Defeat: Source
    Great online game. Love the hum off the MG42

(5) Not sure what other games I have been playing. Most recent I got me a copy of Return to Castle Wolfenstein and was playing that over the whole Xmas on lappie. Class game.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

TinCool wrote:
    I'm ranking mine on most played during the year, but not necessarily released in 2005.

Eurogamer are letting their readers do that too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Stuff I got the most out of this year;

God Of War
    Brothers In Arms 1 (PS2)
    Jungle Beat (GC)
    Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
    COD2 (Xbox360)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

1. World Of Warcraft

My first mmorpg and thoroughly enjoyable at that. Kinda got bored of it recently but it's number one because it's the game I played the most last year.

2. Half-life 2

Despite performance issues with my creaking PC I just enjoyed this so god damn much.

3. Burnout 3/Revenge - PS2

Loved both, great reward system

4. Resident Evil 4

Never thought I'd ever enjoy a third person perspective game so much. Lovely weapons, challenging innovitive game play and zombies.

5. Soul Calibre 3

Loved the new stratigy mode, made me want to buy CIV 4, but I resisted due to the amount of free time I know I'd need to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

5. F.E.A.R
    4. Psychonauts
    3. Advance Wars DS
    2. Cloud
    1. Electroplankton

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

World of warcraft and liberty stories really the noly two games i bought this year.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Psychonuts
    Phoenix Wright
    Indigo Prophecy (Giving away my continent there eh?)
    Mario Kart DS
    Resident Evil 4

Honorable mentions: Castlevania DoS, Trauma Center, Meteos, Darwinia, ZooKeeper, Tony Hawks DS, Astro Boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Of the games i've played this year, my Top 5 are

5: Dawn Of War (plus Winter assault)
    Best RTS in years, worth the pice of admission just for the Orks

4: Bf2
    Great fun, untill i remembered that 99% of people online can't understand the word 'team'

3: Ikaruga
    So hard, beats me unmercifully, but like a battered wife, i go back for more

2 Advance Wars DS
    Ahh yeah! Still havn't cleared it, stupid forest mission...

1: Lego Star Wars
    Most fun i've had this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

3: Ikaruga
    So hard, beats me unmercifully, but like a battered wife, i go back for more
    aye. i decided i'd had enough of the bastarding thing and flogged it on ebay.
    4 hours after listing it, i decided to buy a new copy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

I may be a little behind the times, but these were fantastic games.

1. Far Cry ( PC )

2. Half Life 2 ( PC )

3. Ghost Recon ( PC )

I'm just finishing Far Cry.... gorgeous vast landscapes, topical islands, usually more than 1 route to a destination. Tis a pleasure just to watch the waves lap up against the beach. The screenshots you see on websites are not movie scenes... they're the actual gameplay !

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

all this talk of resi 4 is making me wish i still had my cube.
    Other than that:

City of heroes/villains...beautiful games great fun.
    Despite all the bugs, idiots online etc.. BF2, when it works(more often than not nowadays) its great stuff.
    POE for Battlefield Vietnam...great mod spent the first part of the year playing this instead of BF:V

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

didnt buy much this year but for me its

1 - Resident Evil 4 (gamecube)
    2 - Half Life 2 (PC)
    3 - Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (Xbox)
    4 - Burnout Revenge (Xbox)
    5 - Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (Xbox)

• Advertisement
Advertisement