Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB devices are f*ckers to install

Options
  • 03-01-2006 2:28pm

hi all. bought a new digi-cam. installed the driver, plugged in the camera. no reaction whatsoever!!!!

is it me or are usb devices a nightmare to install

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What Operating System? I find installing USB devices on anything but Win2k or XP is more hassle than they're worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

I'm guessing it's just you m8 mine works pretty automaticaly.
    Are you sure the cable isn't faulty or the usb port maybe the camera. Is the camera switched on?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sometimes you have to switch on the device to get windows to pick it up.

Happened to me over christmas with an iRiver H300. Nothing happened when I plugged the cable in. Searched web for drivers (couldn't find any). Powered it on while it was connected, and it picked it up straight away.

seamus wrote:
    What Operating System? I find installing USB devices on anything but Win2k or XP is more hassle than they're worth.

im using xp. no instructions or paperwork whatsoever came with it believe it or not!! had it briefly going for a while but not a sausage now
    TmB wrote:
    Sometimes you have to switch on the device to get windows to pick it up.

Happened to me over christmas with an iRiver H300. Nothing happened when I plugged the cable in. Searched web for drivers (couldn't find any). Powered it on while it was connected, and it picked it up straight away.

you could have a point there as im waiting on batteries to charge. normally though they register without batteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not always. In fact, out of all the USB devices I have, they all require to be physically switched on to be recognised.

That said though, buying any cheap cams is a big no no. I got some dirt web cam with my modem free, and regardless of installing the drivers, nothing happens when the stupid thing is plugged in. Tried 2 different ones. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

open device manager and manually install the driver!!!

thanks for all your replies but ive since sorted the problem. ;)

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Want to enlighten us as to how?

wet-paint wrote:
    Want to enlighten us as to how?

i just uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, plugged in the camera, had the camera fully powered with batteries this time and it worked.

cheers all for your participation

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I never had a powered off device get recognised. But when it is powered up XP amazes me how easy it is.
    "you have plugged in a canon 384 camera, would you like to download pictures"
    rather than the 2 months of drivers and crashes with older windows versions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement