Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mp3 sites

Options
  • 03-01-2006 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Ok sry about that previous thread mods, please everybody ignore it and obey the law at all times , lets try this again. Hey everybody I'm writting a paper for college about online music, mp3s, file sharing that kind of stuff you know. I am writting the section about illegal downloading at the moment and need to do some reasearch. Deos any1 know of any sites where they offer free mp3s, I need to view them to write about the layout they use, and the tracks they
    offer ect. Thanks for your help. Slipss

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Also please report any of these sites to the relevant authorities as I will be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Bear in mind that anyone posting links to unlicenced mp3 sites also runs the risk of getting banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

ohh I see, I didn't realise that, and I thought I was being so clever and everything, ahh well. Every1 can just ignore this thread so. Or just erase it if thats possible

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Well, you can get stuff embarassingly cheaply at snip - a Russian site. They charge Russian prices so it is about $1.25 an album (about $0.10 a song). It is legal to use from the US as long as it is for personal use only. I could not tell you whether it is legal to use from Ireland or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Sure..."writing a paper" all of a sudden...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Temporary siteban.
    Gandhi wrote:
    I could not tell you whether it is legal to use from Ireland or not.

If you can't prove that it is legal in Ireland then you can't post the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

snip[url][/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gandhi wrote:
    Well, you can get stuff embarassingly cheaply at snip - a Russian site.
    Eh... how has online auction sniper got to do with Mp3's[/sarc]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Gandhi wrote:
    Well, you can get stuff embarassingly cheaply at snip - a Russian site. They charge Russian prices so it is about $1.25 an album (about $0.10 a song). It is legal to use from the US as long as it is for personal use only. I could not tell you whether it is legal to use from Ireland or not.

As far as I'm aware those sites are only legal in Russia. In any case you'd be better off just downloading off a free site and not giving them the money as no money goes to the artists. Whereas the free sites just harm the artist, the Russian sites take your money for the privilege.

Some legal mp3 sites (that you have to pay for):
    iTunes
    Bleep
    Mute

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ha ha! That has got to be the worst turnaround I've ever seen on Boards.

In your first thread you say....
    slipss wrote:
    OK got my first MP3 player this christmass, any1 know any good MP3 sites were you can download songs, preferably with a search function and one thats free, thanks.

And when you're told that you can't request such things you decide to change tact by saying that you're "writting a paper for college about online music" :rolleyes:

Do you really think people are that stupid?

B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

Yeah that was actually quite embarrassing to read. Maybe his thoughtful relatives got him the mp3 player because they knew of his upcoming college project bullsh1t? Deserves a good kicking for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Sorry about the post. My bad, did not read the charter.

In my defense though, that link I posted appears in two separate posts in the "Online Music Stores" sticky at the top of the thread list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

I'm agreeing with Gandhi on this one. If the site that was snipped out is the one I'm thinking about, and has it's own thread where it's actually named, it's easy to understand how people got caught out here. Mods have even posted in that thread without warning or banning people. Makes interesting reading too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

Okay guys, I'm trying to steal as much music/VIDEO/term papers as I can, does anyone have any good links. The more illegal the better ;) ?

Joking. For the love of God, HAVE MERCY

Besides, I've loads of those links. Em, I use them to petition each and every one of them to remove themselves. THIS WASN'T PART OF THE DEAL BLACKHEART. THIS WASN'T PART OF THE DEAL!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Helper_Monkey

As it appears to me, slipss got banned for asking a question.

Last i looked, thats rather fascist behaviour. Surely it would have been fitting to ban anyone who might have replied, and at LEAST given the poor chap a warning before he went embarrasing himself with fairy tales, and eventually losing his right to post here.

I'm sick of the trigger happy attitude to banning by the moderators on Boards.ie. What should be a great institution is being rotted by these few rouge self confidence deficient, demi-adults.

I'm sure im not the only member of Boards.ie who feels this way. Am i?

As it appears to me, slipss got banned for asking a question.

Last i looked, thats rather fascist behaviour. Surely it would have been fitting to ban anyone who might have replied, and at LEAST given the poor chap a warning before he went embarrasing himself with fairy tales, and eventually losing his right to post here.

I'm sick of the trigger happy attitude to banning by the moderators on Boards.ie. What should be a great institution is being rotted by these few rouge self confidence deficient, demi-adults.

I'm sure im not the only member of Boards.ie who feels this way. Am i?

Firstly, read this, then read this thread again. He was asking people to help him steal music. He was warned. He chose to ignore the warning. Not exactly the inquisition, is it?

You're exactly right, Boards chould be a great institution but is constantly let down by selfish individuals looking to abuse it for their own gain. I think the way this situation was handled was absolutley fair and hardly fascist now, was it?

Ok fair enough there is a written warning in the form of the charter, but banning him without giving him the chance to appologise or correct his obvious mistake is what most people would describe as heavy-handed.

I'm no mate of his or anything like that, i merely think that those in power, since there is little or no way of controlling them from down here, should use the utmost restraint so as to keep the atmosphere on the boards a pleasant one. This surely would benifit everyone?

He was after all just asking what millions of people ask google and their friends everyday. And to be fair his response to your comment was honest, and seemed to invoke an emotional response from you rather than an intellegent one.

He got a personal warning from Beruthiel that he would be banned if he posted it again, as well as the warning in the charter. He chose to ignore both warnings and, as promised, he got banned. How is that heavy handed? In order to keep Boards a pleasant place, those who jeopardise the existence of Boards by requesting or positing illegal links get banned, so yes, the mods in question did do what was appropriate to keep Boards a happy place.

How do you figure his story about "college" was honest, having read his frist thread?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement