Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK/Ireland Car Price Differences & Insurance

Options
  • 03-01-2006 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I've lived in the UK for 11 years, and I'm planning on returning to Ireland later this year. I want to buy a new/nearly new car to bring back with me, which I may want to re-sell at some stage - after keeping it for at least the required year of course!
    Given that I'll want to buy it soon, (so that I'll own it for over 6 months before returning) are there any quick comparision sites to show which cars are particulary good value when comparing the UK and Irish car prices?
    Also, I've got 8 years no-claims on my car insurance here, which would be a shame to loose - do any Irish insurers recognise the fact that I may have had insurance in another country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I asked the Question about Insurance, I Am moving to The Uk in the summer for 3 years and will have 3 years no claims.... Someone said my no claims would get carried over..... As for Prices i have a Bmw e36 at the Moment and when i go over there i want to buy a 00/01 E46 The price difference isent even funny... but the thing is the Vrt which you wont have to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Tweedledum wrote:
    Hi,

I've lived in the UK for 11 years, and I'm planning on returning to Ireland later this year. I want to buy a new/nearly new car to bring back with me, which I may want to re-sell at some stage - after keeping it for at least the required year of course!
    Given that I'll want to buy it soon, (so that I'll own it for over 6 months before returning) are there any quick comparision sites to show which cars are particulary good value when comparing the UK and Irish car prices?
    Also, I've got 8 years no-claims on my car insurance here, which would be a shame to loose - do any Irish insurers recognise the fact that I may have had insurance in another country?

You'll get new UK prices on www.parkers.co.uk and new irish prices on www.cbg.ie, I don't think there's anywhere that does an easy comparrison. If buying new, you should check out buying here and exporting unregistered ie without paying VRT to the UK, that way you'll keep your warrenty when you come back and will quite possibly get the same car cheaper. The biggest savings are to be made on big cars. 1.9 (before I get hit from all angles, many 1.9 diesels are above the 1900cc VRT threshold) and 2.0 diesels are a good option because of their popularity, strong residuals and punative 30% rate of VRT (which works out at a real world tax of 43% because it's a percentage of the open market selling price).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Buy a Testarossa, come back here, register it vrt free:) :) and sell it to me, ill make it worth your while....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tweedledum

Thanks Alias no 9, for the info on the car prices - it looks then like a large diesel of some kind would fit the bill. I'll do some research on those sites. Of course, I also want a car that I'd like to drive too for at least 18 months, not simply the biggest price differential!

Anyone know of specific Irish insurers who'll take my UK no-claims? I currently pay £250 for my new 1.6 Focus Sport in central London, but I fully expect my premiums to rise - I'm under no illusions about that.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

you should keep your english address or use address of you friend on your insurance and not clear you car keep it on eng reg saves loads of hassle and more importantly money..plus you wont get speeding tickets

• Advertisement
Advertisement