Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flemington Lane Balbriggan

Options
  • 03-01-2006 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi there

myself and my partner have been trying to buy a house for the last year but are finding it very difficult to get ourselves on to the property ladder. We have been offered a 2 bedroom house in Flemington Lane, Balbriggan under the affordable housing scheme for €197,000.

Can anybody advise us on what the area is like? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Branners

i'm from Balbriggan meself and it seems to be a grand area, bit of a conrete jungle with plenty of houses, but its the same everywhere, haven't heard any bad reports on the estates up there anyway, go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

was going to buy up there meself...but its turning into a bit of a troublesome place so am buying elsewhere!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

This might help you out a bit -
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054847397

Do you know which estate the house is in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

bullrunner wrote:
    ..but its turning into a bit of a troublesome place so am buying elsewhere!!

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

I've lived in Balbriggan all of my life and Flemington Lane is not a troublesome area, like was suggested and it's not a big sprawl like at the end of Hamlet Lane. On the left hand side, yes there are 2 or 3 new estates but nothing major. To the right it's all fields, detached houses that have been there years and a fab view towards Drogheda direction. The lane is probably a mile or so long so I would certainly buy there if I had an opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

I remember Flemington Lane, when it was a lane, lived there for 10 years about 10 years ago, a time when everyone knew everyone, was back there recently wouldnt know the place, its that built up.

Sorry just reminiscing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

Bluetonic wrote:
    Source?
    friend in work who lives there

plus also have seen some negative threads about balbriggan on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

bullrunner wrote:
    friend in work who lives there

plus also have seen some negative threads about balbriggan on boards

What sort of trouble has he seen? I'd be interested to know. How long had your friend lived there?

There is no topic in the world of boards which hasn't received negative as well as positive threads. Such is life.

Glass half empty person me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ninimac

Moonbeam,

The estate is Dun Saithne. Was up there last week and was very pleased with area. We've gone ahead and should be in by March/April:D

Thanks to everyone for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

ninimac wrote:
    Moonbeam,

The estate is Dun Saithne. Was up there last week and was very pleased with area. We've gone ahead and should be in by March/April:D

Thanks to everyone for replying.

its a grand area, i lived down the road from it for about 20 years.

ninimac: if you play GAA, when you move in pop down to O'Dwyers. We are always looking for new players

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

beside mount rochford which is lovely:)

Saw on the for sale sign for Dun Saithne that the sole selling agent in fingal country council.

as it says sole selling agent I presume they are not council houses but all affordable housing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ninimac

sgarvan - Sorry I'm afraid I don't play GAA, but I'll pass the message to me boyfriend - he may be interested!

Moonbeam - all the houses facing out on to flemington lane are affordable housing. As far as I know - within the estate there will be a mixture of affordable and social housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭sugark

Have you moved into your house yet on Flemington Lane? I bought one of these too but Fingal Co. Council seem to be moving at a snail's pace. Heard any news from them recently? All I here is next week... next week... have heard that for seven months now.

2 of my friends bought up there too,houses are nice:)

umm sugark maybe ring them and follow up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 billy1

I bought one of these houses as well in the affordable housing initiative.

Its very frustrating waiting. I believe that most councils are the same.

Have made lots of calls and just keep getting told next week... That first started in January.

Think it's just council's for you. Can't get too annoyed as they are lovely houses at a great price.

Contracts have arrived with my solicitor this morning! At last!

Not sure how long the rest of the process will take but at last something is happening. Happy days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Hm, mind me asking if you are in early numbers? (i.e. 1-5 house numbers or some such), or higher (15-25)?

From what I can gather, Fingal is currently doing snag lists, and soon as it's done their sending papers to respective solicitors. No word from mine yet, and I'd be in high 20s in so far as numbering, which seems to fit the theroy then.

I was told late Aug, early Sept.

Heydy Ho Neighbourino:)

I was told that they are doing houses 1 to 11 first (which is me) and then 12 to 38. This would be all the houses facing onto Flemington Lane.

Houses 1 to 11 have been finished by the builders since January so I guess they want to get these people's contracts sorted first.

Hopefully, now that the process has started, they will pick up speed and you won't be waiting too much longer. Believe me, I know what the frustration has been like.

I'll post if there's any further delay but should be in soon.

Ah right, makes sense alright.
    I really do pity the builder, he's done damn good job, finished on schedule (houses high 20s have been more or less finished since early April), and Fingal only doing Snags now (so obviously fingal hasn't bought them all yet either).

Ah finished when finished, each extra month is more savings :)

• Advertisement

As far as I knew Fingal had the keys for the first row of houses since March! Not sure if that's only 1 to 11 but they've had those keys for a long time now.

Talked to the foreman when I was first out there - he said the spec on these houses is amazing and that they spent three months longer on these than if they were a private build.

Ahh right.
    Yeah, fairly impressed alright by site/houses in general, suprised at the quality of some elements (where you'd expect money/corners to be cut, they haven't).

Ah, didn't realise Fingal had keys for half houses, and that they had them that long.

By the way, found out no management company for this estate either.

I guess Fingal are the management company. No management fees to pay anyway!

Can't wait to get out of my crummy flat and actually be in a house - with two bathrooms!!

Hello Neighbours,

Got my contracts today aswell. At last the wait is coming to an end.

I hope all goes smoothly. Roll on the housewarmings!:)

Many congrats!

Must do some work and stop looking at furniture web sites!

Checked with Fingal today - contracts get signed, then they'll call to organise snag list once they get contracts back. After that, hopefully it's not too long until Moving Day.

Hm, that doesn't sound right...
    Sign contract before do snag list?
    I believe should do snag list before signing...?

I thought that was a bit odd too but didn't question it in all my excitement. I presumed I'd be snagging before signing too.

Will see what my solicitor says about it.

I do not think it makes too much difference, the contract can be signed subject to the snag items being done.

I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Thanks Billy1. I'm signing contracts this afternoon so it's all going ahead. :D

• Advertisement

Just got call, apparently solicitor has contracts now, lot quicker than I expected really.

Advertisement