Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flemington Lane Balbriggan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 billy1

Hi There,

Thats terrible, I would say that given the houses are still vacant there are an attraction for this sort of thing, at least I hope thats the reason.

This will add further delay to closing. Ahhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭sugark

You know, with the houses sitting empty for almost a year now I'm surprised it hadn't happened sooner.

Tried to ring Fingal this morning to find out what the story is but no answer. If anyone hears anything let us know.

Bebe, I would be concerned but not overly so. I really believe it's because the houses are empty. The same thing happened to some v. posh new houses in a posh area near where my parents are (not that we're posh or anything). Empty houses are like a row of sitting ducks for the unruly type.

If anyone hears anything else please post...

Edited to say that I spoke to Fingal and windows are currently being replaced. No internal damage reported.

Hi Sugark,

Did they say if they had received the certs of compliance which were holding up the closings?

They didn't say exactly when but are hopeful it would be soon (but not sure how much faith I have in this).

Will let you know if I hear anything - this has taken a desperatly long time.

I'm going to check out the windows this evening - we need to know if there is any internal damage, water got in, etc.

My solicitor was concerned about onsite security - it may be worth checking with the local garda station if this was reported.

Update: Talked to Fingal again. About half a dozen houses had some windows smashed. They were the houses at the further end of the lane (i.e. latter numbers rather than early ones). They're being fixed at the moment and shouldn't hold things up. Architect's Opinion should be ready this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bebe

Phew! I suppose no major harm done so. If you get any news from the guards, please post! I suppose at this stage we're kind of resigned to it'd happen when it happens, although It'd be great if it could close in 2 or 3 weeks though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

An armed robbery in the local Dunness...Broken windows in vacant houses...
    what you need to do next is walk home from the last train on a friday or Saturday night and you will be so impressed with the area,you will swear your never doing it again.

I really wouldn't worry about the broken windows,the houses are sitting there empty for months and well unfortunately it is to be expected.
    As for the last train I also presume this is the same everyhwere I jsut felt like adding it in;P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Went down there this evening, houses affected were the second batch (no. 11 upwards?).
    Most affected (worst done) were the higher up ones in high 30s.

Don't think there'd be any water damage (yet anyway), biggest problem I'd see would be local gurriers will get more daring as times goes on - so far they didn't seem to go into any houses, if current state of affairs goes on though, I wouldn't be suprised.

Hi there neighbours,

Just heard from Council, they said all ready to go and they will be in touch with my solicitor to organise a closing date.

At last.

Happy Days Billy1!

I heard from my solicitor earlier today and from the Council - we're closing next week! My solicitor has requested the cheque from the Bank and we should be done Tuesday or Wednesday next week!

Farewell to Flatland!! Commuter Belt Here I Come!!

Happy days, happy days....

Yay!!! That's fantastic news. Must give my solicitor a call....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 eezyrider

Don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, but I thought the same with my solicitor last week, as he was requisitioning the cheque, so I ran around organising life/home insurance et al, only to realise that the planning documents were "ready to go out", and when my solicitor discussed it with them, he was informed that the "legal dept" had the documents ready for the first 10 houses but am still not under the impression that they have been issued yet. Would be delighted to be told otherwise, anyone knows different , let me know, but Im assuming the latter end of the road will be another month or two minimum, the only saving grace is that BOI dont charge interest on cheques issued, and once issued the rate will hold, as long as your solicitor doesnt lodge it.

Also, does anybody know if the windows were done in on number 32, hope not, but would be better to at least know.

I trust most of the rest moving in are getting more than concerned at the waffle coming from the council at this point and the silly delays, but below is a link which may or may not have something to do with it, hopefully it won't upset too many of you ,(you need an account to view)

http://www.unison.ie/fingal_independent/stories.php3?ca=34&si=1515419&issue_id=13337

As you may have gathered , I am in the same boat as the rest of u, glad to know I'm not on my own in this!

Peace out,

Well got call from Solicitor this morning - he has documents ready for closing - and can close whenever I wish.

Since a couple snag items yet to be done, and windows yet to be repaired, not closing yet.

As for 32's windows, fairly sure they were broken - more or less every house up that way was, apparently they're being repaired this week, according to Fingal this morning.

as for the link, tis fairly ancient, doubtful it's relevant to current situation

appreciate the reply, good to hear about closing at long last, apologies for being so sceptical, but comes from a year of dealing with the council and being told a few weeks time , every time,

Document was old, but these things can have a habit of dragging out and I reckon thats what delyed things until now as there seems no other plausible explanation

hopefully now that they have started to issue the docs for the first houses, the rest of us should follow soon enough.

Speaking of snags though, I spoke to the foreman on site whilst carrying out 2nd snag and found him to be very dismissive, he essentially told me he wasnt doing anything additional unless it was a "dangerous" fault, I had to push to get a broken roof tile replaced, and a severely scratched fireplace sorted, and lights re-wired, but he pretty much refused to acknowledge scrapes allover the downstairs window frames and broken saddleboards / broken fence at back etc. anyone else manage to get anything on the snag done or are have they been like this for everyone, seems a bit ridiculous to me

I should be closing tomorrow but just heard it could by Thursday or Friday... but hopefully will be all done by the end of this week.

As far as I'm aware it's houses 1 to 11 which are closing at the moment with the rest of the road to follow. I do hope it won't be too much longer - the sooner everyone is moved in the better for the neigbourhood in general.

I think we've all felt very frustrated through the process - I can't believe it's almost a year since we first saw the house.

Re snagging - I had no problems at all, but then there was very little on the list to begin with.

Best of luck - let us know when you hear more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I read on the Fingal site that Flemington is 'close to rail transport' yet someone I know told me they think it's fairly far from Balbriggan station. Could anyone actually clear this up for me? :rolleyes:

Hey Karyn, I timed it at about 10 to 12 minutes to the train station, and that was walking pretty fast (by my standards :) ).

I'd probably give it 15 minutes in the morning to get to the station.

Anyway, it's definitely walkable distance away.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Cycle instead - I live on Hamlet Lane (the turn before Flemington Lane) and it takes me 5 minutes to cycle to the station.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Thanks! I thought it was miles away, but it's not so bad after all. It'll be grand if they extend the dart out to ye. :)
    I was reading this thread and noticed that this is the Affordable Housing Initiative which has no waiting list, as opposed to the Affordable housing scheme. How come.. and how did you guys apply and then get these places? I'm on the scheme waiting list and was never even told about this initiative.. could anyone help fill me in? :confused:

I don't know about anyone else but I saw the houses advertised in the Irish Independent property section back in October last year. The ad said to call Fingal Housing Dept. which I did, and they told me to be out at Flemington Lane on that Saturday. I went out and at about 1.00pm the Fingal people arrived (I had been there since 10am but there was no one else there until about 12). They explained that they would show us the two show houses and if we were interested to get a ticket from one of the sales people and go to the sales office.

When I went to the sales office they asked me which house I wanted and that I had until the following Friday to change my mind. I met Fingal that Friday with my booking deposit and all the paperwork, had two weeks to get my mortgage approval. Had approval and was ready to go on the 12th December 2005. Have just been waiting since then...

I know Fingal are launching another AH Initiative in Balrothery near Balbriggan this month. Maybe give them a call about it?

Hi Folks

Just wondering if anyone actually closed yet?

• Advertisement

Closing today! Was suppossed to be yesterday but didn't happen. This is D-Day!

Have found that staring at the phone to ring isn't working though. Spending the afternoon ringing alarm companies for quotes is making the time go faster!

Hope to have cause for celebration later today:D

Well, congrats sugark! Hope to follow you really soon, fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭the_batman

sugark wrote:
    I know Fingal are launching another AH Initiative in Balrothery near Balbriggan this month. Maybe give them a call about it?

Hi Sugar,

Just wondering where you heard about this?

Thanks,
    Batman

By the way -- since I assume a few of you have been up there this week - have any repairs been done to windows which were broken?
    Was told by council that was being done this week (as well as going through the snag lists.....again)

SeanOS, I was there on Monday and they hadn't been replaced then. Luckily ours weren't broken though...

Hi Sugark,

Maybe you could let us know how you get on with your alarm quotes, if you dont think i'm being cheeky!

Just to let people know -- windows on all houses have been repaired.

Billy1, getting quotes for wireless alarms for about the €1,000 range. Seems to be the average.

Was at the house all weekend - south-facing back gardens are really great!

Can't wait to meet you neighbours in person!

Someone asked how I heard about the AH programme in Balrothery - someone in Fingal housing dept. told me. It should be launching this month!

good to hear someone has actually closed, congrats!

as a point of note depending on what route you wish to take, you can get wireless alarm kits in argos for a few hundred euros , there is very little to the installation as all you need to do is attach the contacts and they have long term batteries etc (5year),

The only diff is they will not be certified, but for a certified alarm, I checked the diff with my insurance co, and the discount is only 20euro a year for the diff in premium,

fuel for thought, anyhow,

Good to hear everything else on track,

Might catch up with you folk for a beer when we're all in and settled,

later

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my house is similar in size and windows to yous and it was 350 including alarm connected in to phone line to notify me when it goes off etc.

I have a phone number if you want it

Advertisement