Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass v Polycarbonate

Options
  • 03-01-2006 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hi,

In the process of looking at green houses, and just wondered what the thoughts are on pro's and con's of glass v polycarbonate?
    Increased light v increased insulation is the main one I've found, but presumably there is also a safety advantage of polycarbonate? But also easier to replace individual panes of glass if they get damaged?

Any advice gratefully received? And also on suppliers? Looking at B&Q at the moment - I fully expect to get what I pay for, but at the moment the price is right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

I went for glass - then again, I've no kiddies to worry about!

I think the insulation benefits of polycarbonate are somewhat overstated, at least from the large amount of research I did on the web. Glass deffo lets in way more light, and is significantly cheaper too. The main benefit of polycarbonate is the safety issue, which is a big thing if you have small children.

I believe polycarbonate can discolour and also become brittle/prone to cracks caused by ultra-violet light.

I bought mine from Polydome in Co. Offaly - they are the cheapest I could find in Ireland, and they have a huge selection. I found them v. helpful - I pestered them for months with emails before I actually bought from them, and they always replied promptly and with good advice.

I got them to construct it for me - DO NOT believe what suppliers say about any half-competent DIYer being able to do it in a weekend - I helped them a small bit in building it, and just kept thinking what an unbelievable nightmare it would be to build it myself - it'd take me about 2 years!! They had it up and finished in two days.

P.S. I have no connection with them other than as a customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Cheers for the link.... but you see now I get tempted for the 3.6m x 6m polytunnel instead.... :eek: :D

Advertisement