Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business Ideas

Options
  • 03-01-2006 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have recently had an idea for a new business product. The product itself is quiet simple,but I think has massive potential. It could eventually be seen as a necessity. The problem is that it is not technologically advanced and I beleive by that standard, it is unpatentable. please someone correct me if I am wrong....

I also feel quiet wary about discussing it with anyone, even though i think it could be a extremely profitable venture, I feel a little embarressed about it for fear of been seen as an idiot or a dreamer.

I have been in touch with the enterprise and inovation centre by email only, the next step is to actually have a meeting.

If theres anyone out there who has had an idea, and brought it to fruition, then I would really love to hear from you..

OTB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Doing it at the moment with a couple of ideas.
    Don't worry about it being unpatentable. Very few new ideas in the world. What is important and what will differentiate you from others is the implementation and marketing. Its a costly and prohibitive process to pursue patent infringement anyway and is rarely worth it.
    If you believe in the idea then go for it. At the very least you can be proud you gave it a go and wont go through life wondering "what if". At the very most you get rich :)
    Either way you will learn loads and it will be great experience for you for when the next idea comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The problem is that it is not technologically advanced and I beleive by that standard, it is unpatentable. please someone correct me if I am wrong....
    That's not necessarily true.
    There's still a huge amount on non-tech products that can be patented depending on their mode of operation.
    As Figment mentioned, implementation and marketing will be crucial for you.
    As you'll be first to market, you'll need to make a the right impression and perhaps keep the "orignal" tag going.
    But, do not take this as a failsafe... many new ideas have been crushed by new rivals.
    A synonymous (and well protected) brand name could also work for you, depending on the product/service. Just look at the success of "The Stira" in Ireland. Some good local or perhaps international PR / ad strategy might be worthwhile planning.... even in your very early stages. You'd be surprised how a little few blurbs and word of mouth can do.... the success of www.milliondollarhomepage.com is because of this.
    It the idea something you're going alone with, or would you approach a large company in that particular industry?
    Either way, never ever think your a dreamer or be embarrassed.
    I've thought the same and seen some of my own ideas appear elsewhere.... I was kicking myself!
    I've got a few now and am still in a lengthy strategic planning process to get the best out of them.
    Finally, best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Onlythebest

Thanks for your comments guys...

Advertisement