Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete floor in a wooden shed

Options
  • 03-01-2006 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm setting myself up for a bit of woodturning in my garden shed. It's an 8x8 foot wooden shed raised maybe 200mm off the ground. I was told, in order to be able to use my wood turning lathe properly (as in, not have it rattling the shed) I'd need to cut out a section of the floor and pour some concrete down where I have cut out. If you look at the attached image you will see photos of the where I plan to lay concrete. I think I will need to cut out the yellow dotted line 5 foot long and about 2 foot wide. This will be about 1 ft deep.

Is it just a case of getting a jigsaw and cutting out the rectangle, putting a wall around where I just cut out (vertically down from the floor of the shed to the ground), clearing out the ground bit, laying a skim of hardcore then mixing hardcore with cement and water to make concrete, enough to fill say 5x2x2 foot space (how much do you think I'd need of both cement and harcore?). Then just leave it to dry with the wooden walls there or should I remove them?

Or is there another way to do it? Would I need to push the walls underneat the actual floor and give say 2 inches or so for the concrete to settle underneat the floor so the concrete supports the surroundings of where I have just cut out?

Any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Cormie

A mate of mine is a masterturner and makes lathes such as the one you have shown. I remember him describing a job similar to yours. Your idea to have a solid base is consistant with what he has mentioned. I do remember him talking about using metal poles embedded in concrete for use as stablisers.

I would have though that cutting the floor out of the shed was a bit drastic and would weaken the floor making it unstable.

If I get an a chance I'll give him a call and get a bit more info.

Cheers
    Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That would be great if you could, thanks:)

You see, the floor would be unstable, until I put down the concrete down between the walls.

See attached pic for better detail:)

I'd really appreciate if you could ask your friend!

Cormie

I'll get on to that as soon as possible PM a contact number just in case.

I note from the recent diagram how the floor will over lap slightly on the concrete, however I would still suggest placing a joist or even some concrete blocks approximately 6" to 12" around the concrete plinth to the support the floor as this is where you will be operating from and this could end up sagging overtime, particularly where a wooden shed is concerned.

I'll get back to ASAP

Thanks again for the reply:)

I'm not too sure what you mean about the concrete blocks or wooden joists, do you mean to put these around the whole concrete section or just the section I will be standing on? The concrete section will only be covering whatever area it needs to so as the lathe can be bolted down into the concrete.

I drew up another quick diagram. Is this what you mean about the concrete block or am I way off? You said "around" so I'm not sure if you mean just the side I'll be standing on or around the whole thing.

I'll PM you my number now:)

Hey Cormie good with the diagrams aren't you eh?

Yes thats what I meant, either using joists or blocks to support your work area. I'll make that call tonight and get back to you.

cheers

• Advertisement

Hehe, yup that'll be me woodturning in a suit with a calculator in my hand;)

Thanks a million Martin, look forward to hearing back from you.

Hi again Martin,
    I rang your friend last night. Very helpful indeed. He basically said I had the right idea and told me percise details, dig down until I reach hard soil, lay 3" of hardcore, stamp it down to flatten it, then mix 2/1 gravel to cement and fill it up to the level of the wooden floor and leave to dry. Once dry I can then bolt the legs down in the concrete and to put about 6mm of rubber im between the concrete and the legs to absorb more vibration. 10mm is about max of rubber as any more will counteract it and send the vibrations back up the legs.

So I think the first step is to support the area remaining after I cut out the area so I can work in the cut out area without damaging what's remaing, then dig till I get hard soil, lay hardcore, pour concrete so it's level with floor and also allows flooring to have support on it, then wait and secure the legs.

Now I just need to get all the supplies:o

Thanks a million for the help Martin and thanks to your friend too. Very helpful the two of you:)

Good stuff - good luck with it.
    When I need a spindle on the stair replaced I know who to contact

Advertisement