Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lakeside

• 03-01-2006 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Anyone know if those of us without sky sports will get to watch a darts tournament this year on BBC (ie lakeside)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Yeah afaik the BDO world championship is starting on Saturday 7th on the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Wigertoods

Yeah seems like the've changed their dates from previous years.
    Normally the first round matches coincided with the semi's and
    final of the PDC championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Lakeside TV schedule
    Saturday, 7 January
    14.30-16.30: BBC-1 Grandstand live
    18.30-20.00: BBC-2 live
    24.00-01.00: BBC-2 World Darts Extra

Sunday, 8 January
    14.00-17.15: BBC-2 Sunday Grandstand live
    18.00-1900: BBC-2 live 19.35-20.00: BBC-2 live

Monday, 9 January
    13.30-16.30: BBC-2 highlights programme
    18.00-1900: BBC-2 live
    23.20-00.20: BBC-2 highlights
    00.20-01.00: World Darts Extra

Tuesday, 10 January
    13.30-16.30: BBC-2 highlights programme
    18.00-19.00: BBC-2 live
    23.20-00.20: BBC-2 highlights programme
    00.20-01.00: World Darts Extra

Wednesday, 11 January
    14.00-16.30: BBC-2 highlights programme
    00.20-02.00: World Darts Extra

Thursday, 12 January
    13.00-16.30: BBC-2 highlights programme
    00.20-02.00: World Darts Extra

Friday, 13 January
    13.30-17.15: BBC-2 highlights programme
    23.35-00.35: BBC-2 highlights programme
    00.35-02.00: World Darts Extra

Saturday, 14 January
    14.30-16.30: BBC-1 Grandstand live semi-final
    16.30-18.30: BBC-2 live semi-final

Sunday, 15 January 18.00-20.00: BBC-2 Live Final

Gerard Porter from Ballybofey's match is on 1.30 on Sunday not on TV live (think it might be on BBC interactive)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

For anybody who has BBC Digital they will be showing all the games live on the interactive service. Sadly I dont have it :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/darts/default.stm

They are showing it on the internet aswell

I was just watching Hogan Vs Marino on there a minute ago, so its available to Irish viewers too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Well Barney got off to a winning start yesterday. Very good on the trebles, lots of maximums, but awful on the doubles.

It is hard to get excited about this event, as there are so many players we dont know. Jelle Klaasen the young Swede (early 20s) looks exciting. After playing poor enough in the first two sets, he averaged over 100 in the next 3 and hopefully will give Mervyn King a good game.

Adams - Atkins should be good too. Atkins is a decent player and I believe he has the hex over Barney, beating him on the last 3 occassions they've played - so he must be good.

Speaking of Barney, I hear that he refused to sign his acceptance form to the BDO World Championships this year as it ties you in for the following year. After negotiations the BDO relented and removed the offending clause from the form. I also see that ladbrokes.com has Barney at 6/1 second favourite to lift next years PDC World Championship. The evidence is building that he'll be moving shortly. It will be interesting to see if he is asked the question in any pre or post match interview this week.

Anyone see Anderson v Robson yesterday. I missed it, but apparently there were some strange betting patterns and 3-1 to Anderson was not unexpected.

Most bookies werent taking bets on that game yesterday (they were taking bets on all the other games) and Bet365 had odds for Anderson of 2/7 and Robson 5/2. Very strange considering Robson won a major title this year and the week before the tournament both were 5/6 to win the game.

Barney
    Back to Barney, and the latest is he won't be coming to the PDC after all :rolleyes: :o:D He will just be in the Premier League, and there's a rumour he may get a special invite to a new Dutch PDC event, but that he will continue to play in the Dutch BDO majors and the Lakeside.
    All speculation of course, I guess he's trying his best to keep his options open.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Its hard to tell what Barney is going to do because there are so many rumours going around its difficult to know which one is right. As said before if he wins his 5th world Title and equals Bristows record then I think he might move. Only time will tell I guess but would certainly be interesting having Barney in the PDC. As for yesterdays game i have never seen Barney so poor on his doubles and he was not a happy man after the game. His scoring was great but if he doesnt sort out his doubles he will be in trouble.

There are alot of players left that I dont know or know very little about, three former champions are out in John Boy Walton, Andy Fordham and Ted Hanky which is a big surprise. I really cant see past Barney, King or Adams this year and I would have said that at the start of the tournament as well.

Yes the young lad Klaasens looked good once he got into the game and relaxed. He certainl throws at a lightening pace! Perhaps he was a little lucky to go through but I expect him to give Mervyn a good game in the next round.

update from the bbc - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/darts/4599364.stm
    Gary Anderson and Gary Robson have been cleared of wrong-doing after irregular betting patterns preceded their Lakeside World Championship match.
    Bookmakers said Anderson, who won the first-round tie 3-1, had been backed to the near exclusion of Robson, costing the industry a possible six-figure sum.

The Association of British Bookmakers (ABB) will not launch an inquiry.

And both players have been cleared by the British Darts Organisation (BDO) after interviews uncovered nothing.

ABB spokesman John Johnson said: "I understand the BDO has interviewed both players and given the situation a clean bill of health, so there's not really anything more we can do."

Bookmaker William Hill was forced to suspend its market on the match within two hours of opening it last Thursday, having been inundated with support for Anderson.

"We saw some of the strangest ever betting patterns on an early-round darts match in a major competition," said William Hill spokesman Graham Sharpe.

"We thought it was a flip-of-a-coin type of match and opened up with both players at 5-6. We were knocked over by people wanting to back Gary Anderson.

"In normal circumstances you would maybe take a couple of thousand pounds. But in this case it was well into five figures within two hours, and the interest was only in one of the two players.

"We therefore took the almost unprecedented step of closing the book, but we will stand by those bets and pay up."

Coral spokesman Simon Clare added: "Nobody wanted to back Gary Robson - we hardly took a bet on him.

"We are paying out through gritted teeth but we have serious concerns about the betting patterns and would welcome an inquiry."

But the BDO and the International Darts Players' Association (IDPA) were united in insisting nothing untoward had occurred.

IDPA chief executive Martin Fitzmaurice said: "We have spoken to both players today. They categorically deny any involvement in the betting activity, and we would know if they were lying."

BDO managing director Olly Croft added: "The players were told about the betting activity and were distraught. They are the most honest people in the world."

It all seems very dodgy to me but I watched that game and Robson played very well at the start and then slipped dramatically in the middle. Im not trying to accuse anyone but something is definitely not right in my view and the last thing darts needs is a betting scandal because its clearly becoming more and more popular every year. There simply cant be that kind of betting pattern without somebody knowing something, or somebody starting a rumour.

What do you think about the whole situation Rooster and did you see the game or the highlights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

That 21 year old dutch plater looks good.

He plays so fast. He can change around the numbers for doubles like the quicker he throwns it the better chance of going in.

Big surprise that he beat Mervyn King today as for me King was the favourite for the tournament. King missed some doubles and that was the difference but the quality from both players was very good. Klaasens looks a great player and if he can continue that form there is no reason why he cant go on and win the title. He just seems to get into a rythm and the darts come so naturally to him. Certainly he has the makings of a real star. A bit like Adrian Lewis in the PDC.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Northside Punk

Carrickman wrote:
    Gerard Porter from Ballybofey's match is on 1.30 on Sunday not on TV live (think it might be on BBC interactive)

didnt know we had an irish lad in it this time,
    last one i remember was jack mckenna in 1991 (?)
    lost to paul lim who pulled off a 9 darter

i am currently watching simon whitlock v paul hanvidge and how either of them got this far is beyond me. i just saw whitlock go from double 16 straight to double 1 and hit each single on the way, and then hit single 1.

didnt know we had an irish lad in it this time,
    last one i remember was jack mckenna in 1991 (?)
    lost to paul lim who pulled off a 9 darter

The best Irish players play on the PDC circuit. There are a few decent players but certainly none that could challenge for a title.
    i am currently watching simon whitlock v paul hanvidge and how either of them got this far is beyond me. i just saw whitlock go from double 16 straight to double 1 and hit each single on the way, and then hit single 1.

Whitlock is usually a lot better than that but he played very bad tonight. Hanvidge deserved to beat him but it was a bit of a surprise. With Whitlock losing that means that 5 out of the top 8 seeds have failed to make it to the quarter finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Trampas wrote:
    That 21 year old dutch plater looks good.

He plays so fast. He can change around the numbers for doubles like the quicker he throwns it the better chance of going in.

he looks a real talent, was watching the match today, he hit 180 and king hit straight back with 180 only for him to hit back again with 180, he is so so quick, also in the match today the cameraman missed all three shots on one throw :D

wouldnt mind seeing him play taylor if he wins this tournement, there is talk about them rekindling that match between fordham and taylor which taylor won by tko :)

Klaasen was brilliant alright. It was a superb game, something the tournament definitely needed.

Whitlock was very disappointing. He had been excellent in beating Fordham, but he totally collapsed yesterday. The top half of the draw is all non-seeds now, so we're sure to have a new face in the final. Hope its Klassen as none of the others seem any way inspiring. I just have a fear Klassen may also collapse now that he'll be favoured to win a couple of matches.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I am so glad I had a bet on him at 40-1

Hyzepher

Fantastic come back by Martin Adams tonight after being 0-3 sets down against Martin Atkins he came back to win the match 4-3. Atkins was brilliant in the first three sets as he stormed into the lead even though Adams did nothing wrong. Both had very high averages but Atkins was hitting 180's at exactlt the right times. That started to leave him from the 4th set on and Adams began ti fight his way back to eventually take the game. I didnt get to see the end of the game because for some reason BBC decided to start there highlights program in the middle and so the first thing you saw was Adams winning. the entire program lasted only 15 mins!

Anyway great win for Adams and a good 97 average that surely means he is a real threat for the title.

Barney also wnt through comfortably with a 4-1 and a 96 average against Gary Anderson. Tony O' Shea beat Van Der Voort 4-0 to ease into the quarter finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Fcuk About

Bobby George was saying about klassen after his 2nd round match... i think anyway, that he has had over 50 9 dart finishes!!!!!

now i know none of these have been televised but that is fcukin awesome.....

Fcuk About wrote:
    Bobby George was saying about klassen after his 2nd round match... i think anyway, that he has had over 50 9 dart finishes!!!!!

now i know none of these have been televised but that is fcukin awesome.....

Yeah got to admit that at 21 to have hit over 50 9 darters whether in practice or not is pretty damn special!

Anyway Klaasens is through to the semi-finals after a great match against Paul Hogan. Klaasens came back from 0-2 down in legs to take the first set but Hogan took the second. then Klaasens played some great darts to win the next three sets, although Hogan did miss some crucial doubles. After that though Klaasens seemed to go off the boil a bit as Hogan lifted his game and out the pressure on. Hogan actually went on to win the next three sets to bring the match into a deciding 9th set. Klaasens won this 3-0 with the best darts of the match to go into the quarter finals. His final average was around the 90 mark which is not very good and wuld possibly have lost against a better player but you cant take anything away from Klaasens.

The only thing I will say though is that the likes of Barney and Adams will look at that performance and not be very worried because Klaasens really went off the boil when under pressure, also the average wasnt that great. Still fair play to him and he is now 2/1 second favourite for the title and really should at least make the final.

• Advertisement

Hopefully Klaasen will beat greatbatch in the semis. He's very exciting.

The bottom half of the draw is clearly stronger. Should be good games tonight.

I saw Trina Gulliver in the women's semi last night on interactive, and she was brill.

In the second set she went:

Leg 1: 100-180-180-41 (11 darts)
    Leg 2: 180-140-136 (she was again on an 11 darter, but unfortunately missed 6 darts at a double before finally getting D2.)
    Leg 3: 180-140-100-81 (12 darts)

Overall her average was 96, better than anyone in the mens other than Adams and Barney. I couldnt believe how good her scoring was - her avg would have been 102 but for the missed doubles in the 2nd leg of the 2nd set.

Overall her average was 96, better than anyone in the mens other than Adams and Barney. I couldnt believe how good her scoring was - her avg would have been 102 but for the missed doubles in the 2nd leg of the 2nd set.

Very good average but remember its over such a short format. Many of the men have an average of over a hundred at that stage but its maintaining that for 9 sets thats the problem. She is a very good player though and is certainly better than alot of the men.

Looking forward to tonights games. Barney against O' Shea is on live on BBC2 at 6pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Kingp35 wrote:

Looking forward to tonights games. Barney against O' Shea is on live on BBC2 at 6pm

Good game, Barney going to streamroll his way to the 5th title?

Nuttzz wrote:
    Good game, Barney going to streamroll his way to the 5th title?

Good game all right but if O' Shea could have hit his doubls he could easily have taken Barney. He was 2-0 up in bothe the 2nd and 4th sets which Barney threw first but he ended up losing. But fair play to Barney for going through but he didnt seem happy with the way he played in the post match interview

So Barney marches on to the final after a 6-2 win against Adams. Adams started well and took the firs set 3-2 but Barney fought back and took the second 3-2. At one point Adams was averaging over 100 but then it just fell apart for him. He lost the third set 3-2 and then Barney won the next 10 legs in a row to give him a 4-1 lead in sets. That then went to 5-1 before Adams got one back and then missed a shot to win the next set and eventually lost 6-2. If Adams was better on his doubles he could have pushed Barney more but it wasnt to be. Barney averaged around the 97 mark in the end so he is gradually getting better and is sure to make it very difficult for his opponent in tomorrows final

Advertisement