Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart BB 6mb/512k Yeah right....

• 03-01-2006 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I'm a smart user and within the last month and a half i've being getting nothing but low speeds,dial up speeds at times pages not opening at all even and now dropped connections,If i leave it on for more than 3hrs i'm sure to get a drop in connection have to un plug the modem and back in again.Is anyone else getting this crap i've being on to them 15 times i'd say now and the told me to update the modem firmware twice and it still hasn't done any thing,so smart BB days are numbered with me soon,bring back eircom all's forgiven never had I disconnection with them in 2+ years..Anyone else getting this please let me know.....

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

What's the line quality like? Like SNR and attenuation. Should be in the router somewhere. (mind you if it worked with Eircom it should work with Smart too)

You should probably try the Smart support forum as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Check the dsl filter hasn't been crushed by a bed or something... (that happened to someone I know once...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Blaster99 wrote:
    (mind you if it worked with Eircom it should work with Smart too)

Smart uses different equipment, so that's not true.

Anyways, as mentioned - Check your line attenuation. I'm not sure what the standards smart have set as I've personally enver worked with attenuation on 6meg lines before. Call them and ask them perhaps? Although I'm almost certain they would of checked this beforehand.

It could also be a faulty filter or an unfiltered socket as previously mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Smart uses ADSL2+ which is better than plain ol' ADSL by Eircom, hence logic would suggest that if the service worked with Eircom then it should work with Smart too. May not be true universally, but Smart has managed to deliver service to a lot people who failed Eircom's line test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Are you using any P2P applications? Emule, bittorrent etc will not work for long with the bundled aolynk smart router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Are you using any P2P applications? Emule, bittorrent etc will not work for long with the bundled aolynk smart router.

It does if you upgrade the Firmware ;)http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/announcement.php?f=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Legion wrote:

Cool! have you done this? I still have mine in bridge mode due to all the lock ups when getting torrents.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Bundy89 wrote:
    I'm a smart user and within the last month and a half i've being getting nothing but low speeds,dial up speeds at times pages not opening at all even and now dropped connections,If i leave it on for more than 3hrs i'm sure to get a drop in connection have to un plug the modem and back in again.Is anyone else getting this crap i've being on to them 15 times i'd say now and the told me to update the modem firmware twice and it still hasn't done any thing,so smart BB days are numbered with me soon,bring back eircom all's forgiven never had I disconnection with them in 2+ years..Anyone else getting this please let me know.....

Cheers

Firstly here is the link to the firmware upgrade:

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/announcement.php?f=3

Have you tried posting on the Smart bb forum - they are normally very fast to repsond to problems there.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bundy89

Cheers for all the replies,yes i've done a firmware upgrade twice and now joy, plus I don't use torrents or download much,Its that bad I can't even stream live radio buffering most times,anyway i've call them back today and they said they are gonna do a line test...and they'll be back on to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Legion wrote:

Assuming you upgrade the firmware, are there any remaining problems with Smart Telecom BB as regards P2P?

Am thinking of switching to Smart and the lack of a download limit is obviously very attractive, but not if P2P apps can't do their thing! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

are you using USB or Ethernet? alot of people cant get anywhere near full speed with USB.

S.

are you using USB or Ethernet? alot of people cant get anywhere near full speed with USB.

USB :(

Reliability would be more important than speed though - they quote 2Mb, but 1Mb+ would be okay for my purposes i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Do you have the option of Ethernet? try it and see. USB connections have loads of layers of software to get through.

S.

Do you have the option of Ethernet? try it and see. USB connections have loads of layers of software to get through.

Yep, it appear I have an Ethernet port. Will try it if and when I get Smart (am with UTV at the moment and it doesn't seem to have supplied an ethernet cable).

Thanks for the advice. :D

Advertisement