Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real madrid sign Antonio Cassano.

• 03-01-2006 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=349964&CPID=23&clid=&lid=2&title=Real+set+to+unveil+Cassano

They got him for €5 million. He seems to have a personality problem and really lost his way at Roma, but that is a major bargain. I remember thinking the same thing when Villarreal signed Riquelme for next to nothing after he had endured a couple of seasons of mediocrity and look at him now.
    All in all a very shrewd signing I think....time will tell.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

A good singing but perhaps Madrid should concentrate on strengthening their defence rather than their attack for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

They have bought Cicinho he is a defender. But they do spend most of their transfer money on their attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Dammit! I thought he'd be going to Juve... Great signing, well for on the pitch anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I can't see them going for Ballack now.

phenom wrote:
    They have bought Cicinho he is a defender. But they do spend most of their transfer money on their attack.

From what I've heard though, he's another attack-minded defender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That's Real for you. Their philosophy: Score as many as you want, we'll score more.

That's Real for you. Their philosophy: Score as many as you want, we'll score more.

They definitely need Kevin Keegan as manager so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Ossie Ardiles TBH, speaks the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Lemlin wrote:
    They definitely need Kevin Keegan as manager so.
    Ha Ha! Cicinho is a Gary Neville kind of full back i think, likes to attack on the flanks and set up crosses into the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

He's basically a right sided Roberto Carlos. Should he play, Henry/Pires 'should' have a field-day in their CL match.

About Cassano: whatever his attitude problems. £3.2mil is a bargain. He's a quality attacker. And if he doesnt work out at Madrid, sure his resale value will be massive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Cassano is a quality attacker and a bargain at that price but real really dont need another striker. Cicinho is a decent player but im not too sure about him defensivly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ronaldo, Raul, Robinho, Baptista, Cassano and Guti all fighting for places in that general area...not bad!
    Regarding their defence, I think it's the general footballing philosophy of Madrid that leads to their downfall at the back, they just can't seem to defend as a unit. Look at the signing of Walter Samuel, came to Spain with a hard-man reputation in Italy, but he didn't really fit in and they were still no better at the back. Graveson was supposed to shore up their midfield, but he's finding it hard to fit in as well.
    From what I saw of Cicinho in the Confederation's Cup last summer, he's a right-sided Roberto Carlos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ronaldo, Raul, Robinho, Baptista, Cassano and Guti all fighting for places in that general area...not bad!
    and Zidane. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Raul is still seriously injured (knee) for a while now though.

So Cassano is sort of needed as cover as a left-footed(?) attacker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

The amount of attacking talent they have really is unreal. Great bargain in Cassano I think. I haven't seen that much of him, but what I have seen, he seems to be a very talented fella. With Real in this case, I think it's a matter of buying him for the sake of it at the good price as opposed to actually needing him as a player. Guti must go at this stage. He is doing himself no favours and deserves better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Cassano becomes only the second Italian to have signed for Real! Ever! And both of them since 1999 (Panucci's the other). Cicinho incidently set up all 4 of Brazils goals in the Confederations Cup Final, which tells you all you need to know about him. This brings total Real spending since they last won a trophy to over £127m.

They still won't win anything till they sort themselves out defensively though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I presume Cassano is cup tied for the Champions League? What about Cicinho? Is he in the European squad? That's an incredible fact about Real only having ever signed 2 Italians....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Mark wrote:
    Cicinho incidently set up all 4 of Brazils goals in the Confederations Cup Final, which tells you all you need to know about him.

He was unbelievable in that game, and the semi-final too iirc. Not too sure about him defensively though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

I dont think Cassano is cup tied, Besty. Roma did ****e last season, dont think they even got a place for the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

A 23-year-old talented attacker for £3.2m is an absolute bargain. The lad's an Italian international and he can only bet better.
    I think Real Madrid have give up on the whole defence malark and are gonna go with the attitude: "If you score 3, we'll just go and score 4!". Makes for an entertaining match in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I guess it isnt working then :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

No, hence the purchase of Cassano. ;) Once Ronaldo gets back to full fitness, dividends will be paid, you'll see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I dont think Cassano is cup tied, Besty. Roma did ****e last season, dont think they even got a place for the CL.

Roma finished 8th last year in Serie A, qualifying for the UEFA cup. Cassano has played in the UEFA cup this season.
    http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/FixturesResults/Round=2209/Match=81954/index.html

But, if I read it correctly I dont think he is cup tied for the Champions League under article 15:13 of the Uefa regulations. All clubs can nominate one player, who has already competed in europe, to add to their squad once he's competed in a different european competition.
    http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/19070.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Great signing, I hope he gets a decent amount of playing time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Cassano will be a good signing for madrid, he's one of italys best players, he is a disruptive influence though but i reckon a good manager would get a lot out of him, 3.2 million is a steal

Advertisement