Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't Feed the Gondolas

• 03-01-2006 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

As a big fan of DFTG, I just wanted to know why it was dropped from the RTE and will it ever be coming back.

WDK

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

WDK wrote:
    Hello everyone,

As a big fan of DFTG, I just wanted to know why it was dropped from the RTE and will it ever be coming back.

WDK

Doubt it'll ever come back. I think 'The Panel' was brought in as it's replacement along the lines of the "satirical look back on the weeks events"-type show.

I was a big fan of it myself........ for the first two or three series anyway. Then they changed the format, Sean Moncrieff left as presenter and was replaced by that annoying f**ker Brendan whats-his-face (who was good as a team captain/panelist but shíte in the presenter's seat) and that, for me, started the downhill slide and I eventually stopped watching it as a result. If a lot of the other viewers of the show were like me, then, I think that could explain why it was dropped right there.

Shame though because, as I said, it started out well and was really funny. But, typical of RTE, they had to go messing with a winning formula and end up completely f**king it up in the end! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

It got a lot worse towards the end when Brendan O'Connor stepped in, but I still loved it. I never liked The Panel half as much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

WDK wrote:
    Hello everyone,

WDK
    Coz it was sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Shame though because, as I said, it started out well and was really funny. But, typical of RTE, they had to go messing with a winning formula and end up completely f**king it up in the end! :rolleyes:
    That's the reason right there.

I loved the first three series of DFTg but when they overhauled the show and Brendan became the presenter, its days were numbered. It was muck from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mob

looks like the panel is gone now too acording to the herald tonight

• Advertisement

Really, mob? Why is that? What was said in the Herald about it being dropped? Don't often buy the Herald myself, I'm afraid, so I'm relying on you to bring us up to speed! ;):D

why would the panel be finished?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Because Dara o'Briain has probably had enough of the show and wants to further his career in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭radiospan

He did mention at the end of the Christmas special that they weren't sure if it would be returning or not.

I'm sure RTE will make another similar program to replace it (might take a while though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Hmmm - though the fact O'Briain is the best thing about it might perhaps suggest otherwise...

Unfair to blame 'typical RTÉ' for wrecking the Gondolas. As far as I know Moncrieff just wanted to do other things. Nothing you can do about that.
    It could be a very funny programme, but that was the exception rather than the rule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

As long as they don't keep it on with Andrew Maxwell in Dara O'Briain's place, I'll be happy

Maybe Brendan O'Connor could take over hehe.

i'll go see if i can fin last nights paper and i'll make a new post with the artical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

It was great, alot better than The Panel IMO

Moncrieff "X (cant recall who, footballer wh served a jail sentence iirc) told of how he was terrified of being raped when he went where?"

Brendan O`Connor "To mass":D :D

Whos in the house, lemme ya hear ya now jesus in the house......

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    Unfair to blame 'typical RTÉ' for wrecking the Gondolas. As far as I know Moncrieff just wanted to do other things. Nothing you can do about that.

Well, RTE changed the format after/for the third or so series (can't remember exactly when but was around that time anyway). Moncrieff was still around for that series but the changes just didn't work and were the start of the downward slide. I remember reading an interview shortly after he left the show where he admitted he was disgusted with the changes and thought it was a bad idea to change what was proven to be a popular format and how he knew it wouldn't work. He voiced this (apparantly quite forcefully!) to the execs but was overruled. So, he went ahead and did that series anyway but decided to jump ship (to go and do the "other things" he had lined up) after it was finished because he could see it all going to pot at that point. With no-one to fill the void, it was decided to "promote" Brendan whats-his-name from team captain to main presenter and the rest, as they say, is history.

So, Moncrieff leaving the 'Gondolas' wasn't the catalyst for the downward trend, the changes RTE decided to make were. Moncrieff leaving simply accelerated the process (and he admitted in the interview that he probably would have stayed for at least another series or two if things had been left as they were). Therefore, I stand by my original statement and feel that it was RTE's changes that were to blame for the downfall of DFTG. Everything else just spiralled out from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I used to really enjoy DFTG. It was very good indeed. Where the Panel falls down is that it isn't as consistently funny as DFTG ever was. Monica Looley from Ahascragh and all that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it was SO scripted! but very funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

and then poor old Moncrieff wound up doing voiceovers for the restaurant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

was it dftg that had the catchphrase of "marty whelan shagged my sister" ?
    heh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

good ole marty whelan sleeping with everyones sister

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

DFTG was never that good tbh, you might have gotten the odd one here and there, but thats all. The audience tended to be simpletons as well, to much inappropriate whooping.

The Panel is much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I loved the call at the end of the show, from a little Village in Ireland called Ahaskgra (sp?)

The Panel was much better but now like DFTG its done and dusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Fair enough Aidan about DFTG - just the impression in general was given that RTÉ wanted rid of Moncrieff which wouldn't be fair.
    But yes, if they changed the format to a poorer one (I didn't watch it towards the end), then more fool RTÉ certainly.

Yes the phonecall at the end was often the only element worth listening to - quite hilarous :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Moncreiff's all growed up now, on newstalk amd doing Centra ads!

they put Ahaskra on the map

Advertisement