Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB and Ebay

• 03-01-2006 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi.
    are anyother IBB users having trouble viewing pages on ebay ? , im having this trouble for ages as is a mate of mine.

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Yep, I wasn't able to leave a guy feedback the other day. Did it from another internet connection in the end. Think I could browse listings and get to the my ebay page fine though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Yep - I'm having problems too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

this happened before and they fixed it, but this time its going on for ages :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

packet loss from IBB causes this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

NTL is on the way to bray soon and then its **** IBB :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Problems here too.Sometimes can take 30+ mins to access 'My Ebay' page. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have had trouble today and yesterday. If there is a button to press I can press it and the bar goes really slow, if I press again the bar goes, press a third time and it load (slowly), this doesnt happen all the time, it is hanging a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Turlock

I never realised this was an IBB problem, thought it was just ebay but OMFG it's so unbearably slooooooooooooowwwwwww trying to access anything on ebay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

what area are you in? also what gateway are you going through (search other threads to find out how to find out this information :)) cause im having problems with ibb as well, but ibb havent got back to me with anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

What kind of problems are you getting exactly? Everything works fine for me on eBay oO

• Advertisement

My bad... I was on eBay trying to browse for articles and it takes forever to load up! :mad:

IBB is just a dream...

to cut things short, these are the problems i've having... posted in this thread here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054867477

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

vinks wrote:
    what area are you in?
    I am in sandyford with a 1mb connection. I spent 30mins trying to pay a guy last night via ebay. Just kept hanging. Finally I just went to my mates house who has eircom, ebay was working fast as ever there.
    It is still hanging today. Gmail also gives problems.

I'm currently at work, so I can't try this out but though I'd share anyhow in case someone wants to give it a go...

I just rang IBB Support (and they answered within a minute - how unlike them !) and I told the support agent the problem. She asked if I have a router and I said yes, and she said if I change the MTU on the router from 1500 to 1460 that it should help this problem and if it doesn't then to get back to them.

Can anybody try this ? If not, I'll give it a whirl this evening when I get home.

deadl0ck wrote:
    I'm currently at work, so I can't try this out but though I'd share anyhow in case someone wants to give it a go...

I just rang IBB Support (and they answered within a minute - how unlike them !) and I told the support agent the problem. She asked if I have a router and I said yes, and she said if I change the MTU on the router from 1500 to 1460 that it should help this problem and if it doesn't then to get back to them.

Can anybody try this ? If not, I'll give it a whirl this evening when I get home.
    That's BS. I don't have a router and it's slow as hell for me also... Does that mean I have to buy a router and change the MTU settings? Pfff... Preposterous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Packet loss lads !! check you IBB tracert's ............. Ebay's secuirty needs a 100% pure connection ........... this happened to me with IBB in the past when I had 30% packet loss

That's BS. I don't have a router and it's slow as hell for me also... Does that mean I have to buy a router and change the MTU settings? Pfff... Preposterous!

Can't you change the MTU on the PC if you have a direct connection (i.e. without a router)? I'm pretty sure SpeedGuide's TCP Optimizer allows you to do this.

deadl0ck wrote:
    Can't you change the MTU on the PC if you have a direct connection (i.e. without a router)? I'm pretty sure SpeedGuide's TCP Optimizer allows you to do this.
    I will try that tonight then! ;)

rubadub wrote:
    I am in sandyford with a 1mb connection. I spent 30mins trying to pay a guy last night via ebay. Just kept hanging. Finally I just went to my mates house who has eircom, ebay was working fast as ever there.
    It is still hanging today. Gmail also gives problems.

do you see problems on your gateway? (say if you did "traceroute google.com" or whatever the command is under windows it shuold give you an idea)

Well, I've changed my MTU to 1460 using SpeedGuide's TCP Optimizer and guess what: it worked! eBay is much faster now! Perfect in fact! :D

I do have to ask though, are there any drawbacks to modifying MTU (from 1500 to 1460)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Yes it can lead you to losing your money from a scam artist on ebay.

Otherwise, not really.

Yep - I don't seem to have any problems either.

I set the MTU to 1460 on my Router AND PC to ensure they match.

Don't know about drawbacks.

By the way - I also downloaded Firetune - it optimises FireFox (if that's your browser). Most excellent.

:D

What do you mean ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

because ebay is full of scam artists, and if you were unable to access the site then you were safe.

the jokes not self-explanatory?

syklops wrote:

Otherwise, not really.
    LOL :D Excellent! So true...

deadl0ck wrote:
    Yep - I don't seem to have any problems either.

I set the MTU to 1460 on my Router AND PC to ensure they match.

Don't know about drawbacks.
    Well hopefully there aren't any! Anyway thanks for the tip on the MTU! eBay working as it should now! ;)
    deadl0ck wrote:
    By the way - I also downloaded Firetune - it optimises FireFox (if that's your browser). Most excellent.

:D
    Of course FireFox is my browser! Just look at my sig! ;) That Firetune freeware is great! Definite improvement in browsing! Thanks a million! :D

Well, I've changed my MTU to 1460 using SpeedGuide's TCP Optimizer and guess what: it worked! eBay is much faster now! Perfect in fact! :D

I do have to ask though, are there any drawbacks to modifying MTU (from 1500 to 1460)?

lowering the MTU to fit the framesizes of IBB's network should lower latency and packetloss, but it also lowers theoretical maximum datarate, but it shouldnt matter on a broadband connection since its only 2-3mbit/s max it's really only a limiting factor on faster connections.

also do you get the full bandwidth now? i mean its a bit silly that ibb's network can handle a bit of fragmented packets.

vinks wrote:
    lowering the MTU to fit the framesizes of IBB's network should lower latency and packetloss, but it also lowers theoretical maximum datarate, but it shouldnt matter on a broadband connection since its only 2-3mbit/s max it's really only a limiting factor on faster connections.

also do you get the full bandwidth now? i mean its a bit silly that ibb's network can handle a bit of fragmented packets.
    WAY too technical for me I'm afraid vinks... All I can tell you is that I definitely don't get full bandwidth. That's about it... Struggled with the rest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 n0tsane

vinks wrote:

After reading all the post here and the tech advice given by ibb there has not been one post saying thanks. We are all very quick to jump on our isp's when they do something wrong but very slow to say thank you that worked.

the reason why the mtu change works is not the frameset on ibb but big brother trying to shore up security on an os that has no security.
    When big brother started adding new security to it's os it forgot that it would affect the size of a packet. If you are always updating your os from the bb site your packet size will grow to over 1500, to fix this you set the mtu (max transfer unit ) to 1460 allowing 40 bit to be used for the extra securtiy they have added as time goes by will will have to readjust this to suit your os. To change this on a network of and isp it would mean those people not having problems accessing secure site will start to have problems. Just because you use bb software does not mean every body else does.

And say thank you for the support you got that did work and the fact that your call was answered with in a minute not like bt today.

I call on all users no matter which isp they use to please post a bit of good news instead of the just bad news, every isp has failing but every isp tries to sort these out and no one hears that the problem have been sorted out .

Bear in mind dail-up was only 4 ago for most of us.
    :cool:

• Advertisement

n0tsane wrote:
    After reading all the post here and the tech advice given by ibb there has not been one post saying thanks. We are all very quick to jump on our isp's when they do something wrong but very slow to say thank you that worked.

heh its been broken for months for me and after a few phone calls its still broken *on their end* as well.
    n0tsane wrote:
    the reason why the mtu change works is not the frameset on ibb but big brother trying to shore up security on an os that has no security.
    When big brother started adding new security to it's os it forgot that it would affect the size of a packet. If you are always updating your os from the bb site your packet size will grow to over 1500, to fix this you set the mtu (max transfer unit ) to 1460 allowing 40 bit to be used for the extra securtiy they have added as time goes by will will have to readjust this to suit your os. To change this on a network of and isp it would mean those people not having problems accessing secure site will start to have problems. Just because you use bb software does not mean every body else does. i mean, why should on have to change their "tcp" stack settings just to get around ibb network problems, why shouldnt they just fix it and everybody will be happy.

And say thank you for the support you got that did work and the fact that your call was answered with in a minute not like bt today.

I call on all users no matter which isp they use to please post a bit of good news instead of the just bad news, every isp has failing but every isp tries to sort these out and no one hears that the problem have been sorted out .

:cool:

what does mtu have to do with security? ibb just provide a data connection to your home, and tcp/ip was designed to run over un-reliable networks to begin with (dont you find it amazing that even with 30% packet loss you can still do things with tcp/ip :) ).

ibb providing security implies they are running honeypots, monitoring your connection, running firewalls, blocking ports and what not, none of which they do as far as i know (they're just examples). packets get fragmented regardless of mtu size anyway (it depends on what you are doing), there is nothing stopping you from doing stupid things to your tcp/ip settings by playing with its settings.

and regarding to their tech support, i have no problems with some of their tech support, i do think they are okay. its when they procrastinate on getting things fixed (which seems to take months) that irritates me a bit and i cant speak for others on this one, people are jumping on ibb because they dont seem to be consistant on running their network, there are parts of their network which never seem to have any problems and other parts of the network has major issues which take ages to fix for no apparrent reason.
    n0tsane wrote:

heh, i had dialup only up until january last year as i could not get dsl/ntl in my house that i am in, so i know how most other people feel. but having a broadband connection that works 75% of the time is a bit irritating. (ibb has been broke since september for me)

*rant* in short i just want a reliable connection, nothing more nothing less. *rant*

Advertisement