Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hip dysplasia in dogs

Options
  • 03-01-2006 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

My 3 year old lab x is going to have a total hip replacement operation, I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with their dogs and this type of surgery. Luckily I have insurance for him as I'm sure it's going to cost an arm and a leg....no pun intended ! I have been told that I will have to bring him to Cork for the op.... that'll be a bit of a nightmare as he's not the best in the car but hey ho it's going to have to be done. If anyone has any info regarding all this it'd be great to hear ! thanks : )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

As surgical options go total replacement is the best of an unfortunate lot, youre lucky you have the means to replace the entire hip, acetabulum and femoral head, most people can only afford to replace the head of the femur, at best (called the FHO op.). Its a young dog, should still be quite a lively fellow, you should be confident youre doing the best thing and doing it properly. Great to see at least one case where isurance isnt just a waste of dosh for owners this op doesnt come cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭popppy

thanks lovelyhurly : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I had a German shepherd and at a very young age it became clear that hip dysplasia would become prominent. He was nearly two years of age when the moment had finally come to have him undergo surgery.

They DID NOT replace anything. What they did (and we´re talking about 1993) was some kind of cutting muscles and doing something - I am no expert on this. (That was in Germany by the way)

But basically he was good as new when he woke up and he lived happily ever after until he finally needed to be put down in January 2005 due to old age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

I had a German shepherd and at a very young age it became clear that hip dysplasia would become prominent. He was nearly two years of age when the moment had finally come to have him undergo surgery.

They DID NOT replace anything. What they did (and we´re talking about 1993) was some kind of cutting muscles and doing something - I am no expert on this. (That was in Germany by the way)

But basically he was good as new when he woke up and he lived happily ever after until he finally needed to be put down in January 2005 due to old age.

Yes thats the Pectineus Tenotomy, dont know of any Irish Vet that would do it, and I doubt it's performed at all anymore. It's very old fashioned I dont know much about it because it's discouraged, they dont even teach it. The pectineus is cut, and this apparently relieves some of the pain but doesnt prevent arthritis forming. Poppy's Lab probably already has arthritis in the hip, and although any orthopaedic surgery is a major cost and heartache, hip replacement has a huge success rate, the animal's standard of life is literally multiplied to become equal to that of any other healthy, happy family pet.

It's great that your GS didnt suffer arthritis, but I suspect there are many people out there who know all too well the shortcomings of this procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭popppy

well, the update on my dog Marley, after having his xrays done on Friday is that the total hip replacement will go ahead. My vet posted the xray on some world wide vet web site and also sent them to the vet in cork. Both came back and said the only option is a thr. Now, I just have to wait for the vet in Cork to get back to me to organise when it can be done. Apparently the vet that does these literally does nothing else so he is a master of his trade in this area, so thats reassurring. Unfortunatley he has to come over from the UK though. wish us luck : )

• Advertisement
Advertisement