Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a course and applying again...???

• 03-01-2006 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Heya all

Well this feels feckin weird,its been yonks since I was on this site but I need some help and I need it BAD!

Story so far is that I applied to do a course (Dietetics) I wasnt entirely sure about because I was told by a retarded counsellor that there were no jobs in what I wanted to do (Zoology)

Anyway started the course and everything pretty much feels wrong about it.

Now Im thinkin about changing my course I have enough points to do pretty much whatever I want but not everything obviously (560)

Problem is its tough finding info about what to do. How do I reapply etc.
    Any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well if what you really want to do is zoology, then that's offered as an option in pretty much any science degree course in the universities.
    If you're in 1st year, then just apply through the CAO again. If you leave your current course before the end of January you'll only have to pay half fees next year.
    If you're above 1st year, then get in touch with the admissions office to see if your previous coursework will exempt you from anything. If it doesn't, then just apply through the CAO again. Cutoff date will be the end of January so you'd want to be making up your mind fairly quickly.
    You could try doing some career guidance tests, going to the college careers office to try and find out what it is you want to be doing... and don't be afraid to think about taking a year out to sort out what you really want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

If zoology is what you really want to do, then go for it! If you work hard, you could easily get a good degree from any of the universities. Do you have any idea what you want to do after college? You could always do a post grad., which would probably make it a lot easier to find employment.

The dietetics course is in Trinity/DIT, right? Why don't you just go to the admissions office and see if you can switch courses- !st science is usually fairly general in all courses. If you can't, my advice is to drop out NOW! Like the previous poster said, that means you only have to pay half fees next year.

Remember, at the end of the day there's no point having a steady job if you're unhappy in it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

I think ther is a guidance counciller on Kevin Street, I think that even if you talk to the they will help you re-apply. If you do reapply you better get on to CAO to get a new number and form!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mahony

I did law because I got the points but dropped out because it felt wrong. I had no interest in it really just done it because its such a class career. Trying to figure out now what to really do. I got practically no career advice in secondary school and just taking this year to figure things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Was just gonna post a new thread about this very subject, but searched and found this :)

I'm thinking about leaving BA Comp Science in UCD and doing Electronic Engineering in Tallaght IT -- does anyone know how much this would cost me (a) before end of Jan, and (b) after end of Jan?

I'm not sure what to do :( I hate the pressure...

• Advertisement

It will cost you twice as much if you leave after the end of january full fees are around i think the 5000 mark. I say theres a lot of people out there stuck in our situation my best advice to those doing the leaving is research their choices in cao well

5000?!?! Are you sure that would be for Tallaght IT? I was given the impression that it'd be closer to 1000...

I rang them up earlier -- registration fee is around €700, and intuition fee is around €1200. I presume the intuition halves if I decide before January 30th.

you seem to be the lucky one. im going to be skinned all next year after paying my fees. i think il have to pay 800 reg and bout 2500 fees next year. its a hell of a price to pay for watching the champions league instead of researching my cao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's pretty much what I'm paying this year. Next year, it's full fees for me, probably about €6000. *dies*

• Advertisement
Advertisement