Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat Comfortline Vs. Baseline

Options
  • 03-01-2006 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Quick question, the father is in the market for a new car. He has his mind set on another Passat (currently has a 98, with 165k on the clock, that gave him a lot of trouble).

Anyway, it's between (both 1.9 TDI)

An '04 100Bhp Baseline

Or

An '04 130Bhp Comfortline

So we understand the Bhp difference, but could someone please clear up what exactly extra is included in the comfortline spec.

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hey guys,

Quick question, the father is in the market for a new car. He has his mind set on another Passat (currently has a 98, with 165k on the clock, that gave him a lot of trouble).

Anyway, it's between (both 1.9 TDI)

An '04 100Bhp Baseline

Or

An '04 130Bhp Comfortline

So we understand the Bhp difference, but could someone please clear up what exactly extra is included in the comfortline spec.

Thanks a million.

Baseline has electric front windows and mirrors, climate control, cd player, traction control and remote central locking.

Comfortline can be identified straight away by the chrome trim around the outside of the windows. On top of the standard spec of the Baseline, the Comfortline also has rear electric windows, trip computer, front and rear centre arm rest, upgraded trim on the seats plus wood inserts on the doors and dashboard. I think the Comfortline may also have had alloy wheels as standard on 04 models.

The 100bhp TDi has a 5 speed manual gearbox whereas the 130bhp TDi has a 6 speed gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Id' definetly get the comfortline passat, My dad drives a Blue Comfortline Passat 1.9 TDi. Great solid car. Baseline can be a bit basic, Even my dad's comfort line lacks front fog lights, and a Trip computer :eek: But it is a comfortline, all chrom outside, Has the arm rests and Rear electric windows. Has everything but a Trip computer and Fog lights,

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Thanks a million lads, that makes sense now. Only thing is there's 5k in the difference! Maybe that's a bit much

Thanks Again

Take a look at the Skoda Superb also.

It is basically a stretched version of the 1997 - 2005 Passat and uses most of the engines including the diesels. It has better standard features than the Passat, more rear leg room and is cheaper to buy used.

It is also available in 1.9 TDi 130bhp 6 speed.

Something like these:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=282791
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=318733

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Thanks a million lads, that makes sense now. Only thing is there's 5k in the difference! Maybe that's a bit much

Thanks Again

It is. I can only tell you that before a friend of mine went to trade in an A4 110bhp expecting to get some of the £1k extra it cost him over the 90bhp back. He wasnt given anything.

Although I'm not in the trade, the impression I get is apart from a Diesel engine "extras" add nothing to the value of a car unless the base spec is really really dire (e.g. 02 golfs, 04 C-Class without Aircon).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

bazz26 wrote:
    Take a look at the Skoda Superb also.

It is basically a stretched version of the 1997 - 2005 Passat and uses most of the engines including the diesels. It has better standard features than the Passat, more rear leg room and is cheaper to buy used.

It is also available in 1.9 TDi 130bhp 6 speed.

Something like these:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=282791
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=318733

Ya thanks I know! I'm worn out from telling him about them. We're good friends with the Skoda dealer around here and he'd do us a great deal. But he is limited in the garages he can buy from, and they happen to be Vw/Audi/Merc dealers.

Thanks a million.

Edit: Audi A4 is a bit too expensive for us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

bazz26 wrote:
    Baseline has electric front windows and mirrors, climate control, cd player, traction control and remote central locking.

Comfortline can be identified straight away by the chrome trim around the outside of the windows. On top of the standard spec of the Baseline, the Comfortline also has rear electric windows, trip computer, front and rear centre arm rest, upgraded trim on the seats plus wood inserts on the doors and dashboard. I think the Comfortline may also have had alloy wheels as standard on 04 models.

The 100bhp TDi has a 5 speed manual gearbox whereas the 130bhp TDi has a 6 speed gearbox.
    So where does the Trendline fit in? Does it still exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

bazz26 wrote:
    I think the Comfortline may also have had alloy wheels as standard on 04 models.

My dad has an 04 passat estate comfortline. From what I remember of it it doesn't have alloys.
    fjon wrote:
    As of 06 anyway there's baseline, comfortline, sportline and highline.
    http://www.volkswagen.ie

fjon wrote:

The Trendline was kind of a sporty model even though it didn't even have alloy wheels, etc as standard. As far as I know it had sports seats and titanium inserts in the doors and dashboard. I think it was slightly cheaper than the Comfortline but was not very popular. I think it was dropped in late 2003 when the Passat got a minor makeover.

There was also a Highline model which was the top spec Passat available in Ireland. It had fully colour coded bumpers and side moldings with chrome inserts, half leather interior, alloy wheels and possibly a sunroof. The only diesel available in the Highline model was the 130bhp afaik.

The new B6 Passat is available in Base, Comfortline, Sportline and Highline.

chalky wrote:
    My dad has an 04 passat estate comfortline. From what I remember of it it doesn't have alloys.

AFAIK they made alloy wheels standard towards the end of 2004 or early 2005 on the run out model Passat before the new version was launched in July 2005.

• Advertisement
Advertisement