Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PC starts up of its own accord

• 03-01-2006 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi My PC WIN XP SP2 and is up to date with updates.

When I shut down the pc it does so normally but lately it has been restarting of its own accord after maybe an hour or two or in the middle of the night.

I am on broadband mainly for surfing, not into dodgy downloads so the router is powered off and anyway this has being happening when I was on dial up last month

Is there any log file that I can search for to see what has initialised the computer to restart. On restart it comes onto the log on screen waiting for a password.

At present I power off at the rear after shutdown has completed.

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Maybe you have Wake-On-Lan enabled and that's starting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

am on broadband mainly for surfing, not into dodgy downloads
    At present I power off at the rear after shutdown has completed.

Far too much detail :p

How do you connect to your broadband router? Ethernet,WiFi,USB?
    (Ensure via device manager, and BIOS setup that 'power/wake on LAN/Ethernet' is disabled)

Check the Event Viewer (control Panel->Admin. Tools)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jmponeill

The modem is connected by ethernet and as far as I am aware wake on lan is disabled.
    Thanks for the help.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

This happened me once about a year ago but not since.

Gave me a scare all right though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

clear your cmos with the motherboards reset jumper

some bioses let you set a time for the pc to turn on, maybe thats set or gone corrupt, also some have an option to turn on when you restore the power, do you have a faulty trip switch in the house

unplug the ethernet and see if it happens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jmponeill

Hi all Thanks for the advice I traced the problem through the event viewer to antirus software. again many thanks

Advertisement