Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Silver Bow - David Gemmell

Options
  • 03-01-2006 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭

Saw this in trade paperback in Easons, Dundrum today for €6.99 !!! Which is a bargain for such a recent release.

I paid (what i thought was good value) €14 elsewhere last week :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanfear

SofaKing wrote:
    Saw this in trade paperback in Easons, Dundrum today for €6.99 !!! Which is a bargain for such a recent release.

I paid (what i thought was good value) €14 elsewhere last week :mad:

What did you think of it? Really enjoyed the whole twist on the story of Troy. This was the first David Gemmell book I read, and I thought it was fantastic. I have now bought all of the Drenai series and have just started White Wolf. Interesting to see his style mature and improve through the years, I just love the vocal interplay between characters, especially the sarcasm - it may be the lowest form of wit, but he takes it to new heights at times and has made me laugh aloud lots of times - (not many can do that to a bibliophile like myself). Looking forward to buying the rest of his books, great to have a new (to me) author to collect while waiting for Jordan, Feist, Brooks, Martin etc etc to release their latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I liked it definitely, so im looking forward what's up his slieve for the next book as the seeds of war were were sown in this one and lots of plot threads still to tie up.
    Lanfear wrote:
    I have now bought all of the Drenai series
    Bear in mind though, when approaching Gemmell, that all his books follow the same formula. But the problem is he just does that formula really, really well, and i can't get enough of it :p The great thing too about Gammell's books is that they're not overly long like most other authors. They're short and pack a punch.

About the Drenai series, my personal favourite is the Waylander Triology, which has a lot of that great vocal interplay that you mentioned. The ending of the last book, imo of course, is the most perfect and poignant ending ive ever read (not that i've read an awful lot recently mind you). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tap28

have to agree Waylander is just a brillant series. I still love to reread them every few months

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I enjoyed the Troy book and look foward to next in series. Gemmel's work can vary in quality but this is at the high end of his books. My own favourite set is the Jerusalem trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanfear

SofaKing wrote:
    I liked it definitely, so im looking forward what's up his slieve for the next book as the seeds of war were were sown in this one and lots of plot threads still to tie up.

Bear in mind though, when approaching Gemmell, that all his books follow the same formula. But the problem is he just does that formula really, really well, and i can't get enough of it :p The great thing too about Gammell's books is that they're not overly long like most other authors. They're short and pack a punch.

About the Drenai series, my personal favourite is the Waylander Triology, which has a lot of that great vocal interplay that you mentioned. The ending of the last book, imo of course, is the most perfect and poignant ending ive ever read (not that i've read an awful lot recently mind you). :)

I like his formula too. You could pick holes in his books, but what's the point, each book so far has been an enjoyable read, good plots, characters etc. That ending brought a tear to my eye too - doesn't do to get too emotionally attached to characters does it ;)

His vocal interplay reminds me of the first 3 or 4 books of John Connolly - the ripostes between Angel and Lewis are hilariously funny to read and made me laugh aloud as did Gemmell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement