Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 megabits per second in Longford Town

Options
  • 03-01-2006 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Good news for the people of Longford Town.

We have a 9 Meg down with 600 kb up cable line fully operational @ 40.00 euros per month.

The pings for gaming are excellent, I play Battlefield 2 over the net as if was a non online game.

Thanks to Brian Crossan for been an excellent local entrepreneur, and having the vision that many others in higher places lack.

Good luck Brian and many more happy customers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭molinaalexis

I forgot to say that all this is uncapped, no limits whatsoever, day or night.

So people go for it, and move to longford town, the housing is cheaper, bigger, and with big and wide broadband. :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

9mb How?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

WDK wrote:
    9mb How?

Crossan Cable probably...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Wow! Do they have a website?

It bothers me that big companies like NTL are yet to offer this (Rumoured upgrade on the way) and two small cable opperators do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

If it is Crossan Cable then they have website with a BB details page that mentions nothing of 9Mb.

Any further info on this molinaalexis ? Do you have it?

.cg

• Advertisement

Yes they have a website, still they have not updated it with the new figures that happened over christmas, how they can do it ? because they are decent, hard working and an honorable Irish business.

www.crossan.ie

how they can do it ? because they are decent, hard working and an honorable Irish business.

I don't doubt that. It's just a shame the big boys would not be more like this.

big boys are not decent, are not hard working, are not honorable, and above all are not really Irish, when someone calls themself Irish and rip off his or her fellow countrymen and women, they can not call them selves Irish, I would call them chancers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

oooh loookee, same price and package that Dungarvan has had for the last 2 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

pity they don't think logically, go for the big towns and cities like cork, limerick, dublin etc etc. they'd make an absolute fortune. ahh well as long as i get my upload speed upgraded i don't mind what speed i am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Sponge Bob wrote:
    oooh loookee, same price and package that Dungarvan has had for the last 2 years .
    oooh loookee, it's only about 5 times faster then the majority of the country can get from €ircon for less money. Let's snigger.

when someone calls themself Irish and rip off his or her fellow countrymen and women, they can not call them selves Irish,

You'll probably find there are very, very few Irish people in Ireland so! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Back on topic ladies & gents, or queue up for the first '06 banning, which is being highly contended!

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Longfordian

Just signed up today with Crossan. They have already upgraded the system to 9MB but have not updated their website or brochure. The cost is about E54 a month for small business. I will be using it for a new RE/MAX office in about 2 weeks and will let you all know how it performs.

Brendan

Just signed up today with Crossan. They have already upgraded the system to 9MB but have not updated their website or brochure. The cost is about E54 a month for small business. I will be using it for a new RE/MAX office in about 2 weeks and will let you all know how it performs.

That is excellent! Same price as Eircon 2Mb. Any idea of the residential prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Longfordian

Residential is E39.90, contention 20:1 or better, no download cap, free modem

Brendan

Residential is E39.90

9c cheaper and 3X faster than NTLs top package! (no adding "But they may upgrade soon.... :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭johncorleone

paulm17781 wrote:
    9c cheaper and 3X faster than NTLs top package! (no adding "But they may upgrade soon.... :D )

You cannot compare small time operators with big ISP's. It's easy to look at simple figures and assume because someone is allegedly providing more bandwidth that they are providing a better service, however there is a lot more than just simple numbers to providing a quality ISP service.

Generally a small time operator will have a network built on a shoestring, with limited transit connectivity and very little peerings (Crossan are not a member of INEX for instance). Sure they're to be congratulated for providing a service to a small number of people in Longford, but for quality of service they won't be able to compete with the big guns who have invested millions of Euros into their networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

They're not a member of RIPE either, but that doesn't make any difference as to how their products perform. One of the transit providers they use could be members of the INEX...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

And equally they could have their upstream provided by a UK ISP meaning all your traffic to Irish sites heads over there and back again. (This is how NTL started off in Ireland - Irish gamers werent too pleased, though their pings to barrysworld were pretty good ;) ).

Also remember that this 20:1 contention is going to be access contention, small time players will not have gigabit transit circuits to play with, so you may end up being heavily contended on their upstream aswell. (Though to be fair im sure they will be keeping a sharp eye on this) In a single town they are not likely to see as many hard core downloaders as a more widespread provider would see.

Still, dont get me wrong, small time operators are the only way many people will get quality broadband in certain areas and is to be commended - just remember all broadband connections are not created equally etc etc..

• Advertisement

Crossan Cable in longford have a very good level of quality, as I said I play Battlefield 2 over the net, not only with UK servers, the servers are all over Europe and the world, in those servers if your average ping is above 150 you are kicked out, as simple as that.

I have never been kicked out because of high pings, Like any network there are always little troubles sometime, and they have been solved fast and professionaly, I have been with them over a year and no complaints.

Bussines is not just a profit making machine, it is a combination of making money, be honorable, be respected in the community, and be human above all. Crossan got it all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bussines is not just a profit making machine, it is a combination of making money, be honorable, be respected in the community, and be human above all. Crossan got it all.

Seeing as most of your posts are about Crossan , do you work for them directly or indirectly ????

Sponge Bob:

Your quote just shows me how rare it sounds for Irish people to hear somebody praising another Irish person, and having a high regard for his or her work or service or business, and respectability. I have heard before from other Irish that we are a nation of begrudgers

NO I DO NOT WORK FOR THEM, NEITHER AM I A FAMILY MEMBER OR EVEN A FRIEND I am not just a happy customer, but a grateful one, because here in Longford we enjoy what most of the nation cry for.

When I see crap I'll tell, back in Cuba that is where I came from very long time ago we call to bread bread and to wine wine, that means that we mean exactly what we said, the Irish equivalent to calling a spade a spade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

You cannot compare small time operators with big ISP's. It's easy to look at simple figures and assume because someone is allegedly providing more bandwidth that they are providing a better service, however there is a lot more than just simple numbers to providing a quality ISP service.

Generally a small time operator will have a network built on a shoestring, with limited transit connectivity and very little peerings (Crossan are not a member of INEX for instance). Sure they're to be congratulated for providing a service to a small number of people in Longford, but for quality of service they won't be able to compete with the big guns who have invested millions of Euros into their networks.

In all fairness that's some statement! Caseys in Dungarvan are recogised as one of the foremost cable operators not just in Ireland, but in Europe. Cable BB available in Dungarvan since 1998.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Damn, why in the name of christ do i have to live out in the "sticks" part of Longford...feckin Crossan Cable...would move into town just for that internet speed uncapped if i could afford it..

Advertisement