Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's my fav music called?

• 03-01-2006 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I love that funky jazz soul dance music - they often play it in trendy shops - it sometimes features flutes and saxophone - sometimes this bar I know plays cool tunes mixed with Marva Whitney and James Brown ("Sunny, yesterday my life was full of rain...") but I don't know what exact category it falls under and am too clueless to ask anyone. I love it and want to get started buying a few cd's - SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO GET?? HELP?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

"funky house" i guesss?

theres no such thing as funky house

all house is funky

Helix wrote:

all house is funky
    o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Helix wrote:

all house is funky

all house is deep/techy/uplifting/soulfull/progressive/electro/housey/bouncey/minumal/:confused: ehhh?
    if you have broadband you can download a load of dj house mixes from my site over here. I'd recommend the Jay Tripwire Mix or the Dave Bennett - B-Inspire-D Vol3 CD1 Mix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I would recommend the following:

St Germain - Tourist

Nightmares on Wax Any of there albums are brilliant.

Royksopp - Melody A.M

K+D Sessions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I would recommend the following:
    St Germain - Tourist

that's full of flutes and sax. That's a top class album. Cork house band Cartoon have a similar enough sound to St Germain (in places) but have vocals on their tracks. You can check out some of their tracks from that link. (the Cork girl from Your A Star is their lead singer btw, a bit of trivia :) )

anything by groove armada too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭DIRTY69

tdv wrote:
    "funky house" i guesss?

'funky house' is a genre of music. They call it funky house:p Thats what that that crack is/

Check out hedkandi at the end of the month, in Cork. You'll love it.

http://www.savoytheatre.ie/

no you see i refuse to recognise the existance of "funky house"

house as a genre began with the funk

it always had the funk, til it began to be diluted into stupid sub genres

in my eyes, house has the funk by default

if its not funky, its not house

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭tie_mi_shu

funky gaff

:D

house as a genre began with the funk?

Maybe. Maybe it evolved from that original genre. but from there it has evolved further, as all things eventually do. And that this change (and evolution) there is need to specify and make clear the exact type.

When electronic music first came on the scene, it was 'electronic music' now, electro-pop, techno, trance, house, whatever.

sub genres are the same. As a format invents and re-invents itself, different aspects of the original format come through, and in turn are fused with different aspects of other genres, all colmunating in the quintessential need for making specific the particulars of the music/genre/style/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 kerrymaid

I saw cartoon play in Tralee a couple of weeks ago and they were right down my street so that must be it - thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 kerrymaid

I just listened to the samples on amazon - Thanks so much that's what i was talking about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Gay, Funky, Handbag House if you ask me.......

:p

hangbag house?! I'll remember that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Eddie Brennan

Fieldog wrote:
    Gay, Funky, Handbag House if you ask me.......

:p
    yup thats wot it is.

DIRTY69 wrote:
    house as a genre began with the funk?

Maybe. Maybe it evolved from that original genre. but from there it has evolved further, as all things eventually do. And that this change (and evolution) there is need to specify and make clear the exact type.

When electronic music first came on the scene, it was 'electronic music' now, electro-pop, techno, trance, house, whatever.

sub genres are the same. As a format invents and re-invents itself, different aspects of the original format come through, and in turn are fused with different aspects of other genres, all colmunating in the quintessential need for making specific the particulars of the music/genre/style/
    good point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Frozen, balearic, Gay biker house.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

If you want some good funky house look no further than: www.funky-house.co.uk

I have all this guys music burnt on to CD its great fr the car, background music when people are over, any time really. Full tracklistings too, I've found some gems myself. Let me know if you like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

The official term is - Shoi.

Advertisement