Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish TV stinks

• 03-01-2006 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭

What a waste of a license fee. I shall get a cheap free to air satellite dish and watch the BBC instead.

Gripes:

1) The 4 channels play pass the parcel with movies. For example, TV3 will show a movie, a few weeks later the same movie is on RTE2, who then pass it to TG4, who show it once in the afternoon and then again at night some weeks later before handing it to RTE1.

2) Documentaries are narrated by morons. One ejit pronounced pharmaceuticals as pharma-cute-icals throughout. Where does RTE get its researchers from? I would rather listen to a documentary narrated by an American or an English person. At least they would have had an education.

3) All Irish programmes are rubbish, with the exception of The Panel, which should have its own channel and the others scrapped.

4) Irish documentaries appear stuck in some time warp locked in 1921. We won the war. Let's move on.

5) Any Irish woman on TV really is just a pretty face with not an ounce of brains. It's a waste of time having Groin Shaker on The Panel. She has no sense of humour and is a dope. Sharon nee Whatever on RTE1 just spends her time pouting and smouldering at the camera. She's a dunce. Anne Doyle on the other hand needs multiple face lifts but reminds me of every headmistress I ever had.

6) The news is a joke. "The Taoisach did this and the Tánaiste did that and now here are the GA results." What is going on in the real world please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

RTE never produce anything original. All of their "home grown" material is ripped off from English or American TV with embarresing shamful results. The list is endless, with the exception of Fair Ciry (Fairly ****ty) which is in a seperate league, possibly on a par with a 1940's Polish sitcom but here's a few examples off the top of my head:

You're a Star = Pop Idol,
    Ryan Tubberty = Conan O' Brien,
    Stew = The Fast Show
    Celebrity Farm = Every crap reality show you can think of.

I don't know where to start with our national IRISH TELEVISION STATION TG4. Pimp My Ride, What I like About You, Nip Tuck, The O.C. Cold Case, and Krypto the Superdog, are just some of the examples of english language programs we can watch on other channels, but get to watch over and over again on TG4. It's simply laughable. But not so funny when you consider WE actually pay fot it.

TV3 to it's credit doesn't claim to be anything other than cheesey mainstream entertainment. It's like a third rate Sky 1.

Rant Over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

sturgo wrote:
    Celebrity Farm = Every crap reality show you can think of

Channel 5 took up this show in the UK

as for the arguement that programmes can be seen elsewhere. not everyone has that option

this thread is looking like RTÉ bashing for the sake of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

All Irish programmes are rubbish, with the exception of The Panel, which should have its own channel and the others scrapped.

you had me eating out of your hand up until you said that.

I don't know about that pass the movie thing, do you have an example? Because TV3 seem to show the same old rubbish movies over and over again, eg. American Pie, Meet Joe Black, Urban Legend, Charlie's Angels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I was watching some program there the other day on RTE and they were interviewing some bloke and it irritated the heck outta me.

The bloke being interviewed kept pronouncing Politician as , Polla-teesh-shan. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

True, TV3 do show the same crap over and over, but at least they don't butcher films like UTV......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

JayBee66 wrote:
    3) All Irish programmes are rubbish, with the exception of The Panel, which should have its own channel and the others scrapped.
    No, I have to disagree with you there.

Love is the Drug, Pure Mule, The Clinic. All of them quality shows.

I lost patience with R.T.E. when No Disco went. I subsequently lost patience with TG4 when Rianta went. I'm about to lose patience with something else one of these days and when it happens it's not gonna be pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

The Panel is sh*t. The only good thing EVER on RTE was Murphys Golden Movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

To JayBee66:

Go away and troll somewhere else.

Thanks,

allee...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

The counter arguement to Jay:

What a valuable investment my licence fee is. I have a cheap free to air satellite dish and watch the BBC to compliment the broad range of programming that Irish television offers me.

1) The four channels do not pass the parcel with films, although there is course some inevitable overlapping. RTÉ, TG4 and TV3 hardly consult each other on these matters. Indeed I would rate the BBC and ITV just as irritating in this respect, ITV also repeating films ad nauseum. RTÉ and TV3 provide me with a broad selection of popular international films, though more niche content would be welcome.

2) Documentaries are narrated by and large very well. As in all countries you will come across the odd pedantic prat - this is to be embraced as part of a broader cultural and enlightening experience ;):D. We have many fine actors/narrators in this country, on a par with those across the water. The notion that a mellow west London accent is the epitome of human cultivation is absurd.

3) Most Irish programming is of a decent standard, a lot exceptional, and a certain element utter tripe. We have but a single credible Irish broadcaster in this country - were you to compare that situation with the UK having a simiolar set-up, that is to say just the BBC, people's impression of British television would change dramatically. It is thoroughly unfair to compare RTÉ with the combined might of the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Five and Sky.
    The entire budget of the RTÉ organisation, including all television, radio and cultural activities, does not even extend to half that of the budget for BBC 1 alone.

Out of a tiny national broadcaster in a nation of 4 million people, content of an international standard is produced encompassing every facet of Irish life: news, current affairs, sport, drama, documentary, factual, entertainment, comedy, young people's, religious, not to mention an internationally acclaimed concert orchestra, choir, four 24hr radio stations, online services, a teletext service, and a 365 hour subvention of programming for TG4.
    I think the licence fee is rather good value for money....

4) Irish documentaries certainly do tend to give an undue prominence to the founding of the State alright - though this impression is being generated somewhat by the current 'Hidden Histories' series, which is fair enough. Even so, one would think Ireland was a twilight zone between the building of Newgrange and 1916 given the focus of RTÉ's historical output over the past 45 years.

5) More examples of how women on Irish television are bimbos are needed, though if one is to go by the crop of Seoige II, Laura Woods and Caroline Morahan, then you certainly have a point there. Likewise with Ní Bheoláin - not an ounce of credibility on Six One - a fluffy distraction.
    Distinguished, un-D4 tainted women are a hard thing to find nowadays for broadcasting in this country.

6) Not much you can do about news now. RTÉ's coverage of Irish affairs is exceptional, whatever about its abominable production values. The resources simply aren't there to cover international events to the extent that the BBC does, and as such RTÉ is somewhat resigned to the fact that most people turn to the BBC for such coverage anyway, as much of the world does. RTÉ has greater, more local concerns to be spending its limited resources on. But certainly the effort put into, and quality of its existing foreign coverge could be much improved.

All in all, we're exceptionally lucky to have what we have, and I for one am more than willing to pay the paltry €155 a year for a licence. In fact it ought to be €200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭JayBee66

Atrocity wrote:
    I don't know about that pass the movie thing, do you have an example?

Well Con Air and Leaving Las Vegas were shown a few months ago on other channels and are airing tonight and tomorrow.

The Champ, with Jon Voigt, was shown twice on TG4 in the space of 6 weeks and then again on RTE1.

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Channel 5 took up this show in the UK

as for the arguement that programmes can be seen elsewhere. not everyone has that option

this thread is looking like RTÉ bashing for the sake of it

All of the imported programmes can be seen elsewhere. That's a fact. Celeb Farm was ****e, that's also a fact. And people are bashing RTE because they are disatisfied with their content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Very very few movies overlap with the 4 stations. Mainly because RTE gets all the good stuff, TG4 gets the offbeat stuff and TV3 will show any aul crap. As for the licence fee, doesn't matter if you have a telly firmly bolted in a cupboard and covered in 6 inches of concrete you still have to have a licence. Don't see what paying the licence fee and TV3 have got to do with it but anyway....

"I would rather listen to a documentary narrated by an American or an English person. At least they would have had an education."
    I'm sorry, WTF?? We have one of the most educated workforces in the world, I'd like to step away from the condesceding tones of Michael Moore et al thank you very much.
    We have many good documentaries (the revolution will not be televised, Haughy, reeling in the years)

"All Irish programmes are rubbish" what a sweeping statement. Give us some decent examples. Granted RTE seem to have a perverse notion of extending the most tripe shows on the planet (fair city, stew, as mentioned above) but it is improving with the likes of the clinic, pure mule etc.

It is unfair to compare it with the BBC, the budget they have is massive (even without advertising) so obviously, their homegrown shows will get more funding.

Irish documentaries being stuck in a time warp.... I guess there's nothing pre 20th century because there's obviously no footage and re-enactments can either be expensive or look crap. The rising is probably the most interesting bit of history going, but they do other stuff too.

Miriam O'Callaghan, Hosts Q&A, produced Haughey, has brains, is old and looks alright. There's just as many male idiots as there are female (Pat Kenny, Ryan Tubridy)

Ummm how often have you watched the news? It is a quality news program, production values may need a little work but for unbiased, accurate and extensive reporting they are at the top. Be thankful you do not live in the states and must be at the mercy of the republican puppet that is Fox News.

Listen, there's a lot I'm not happy with in RTE (scheduling for example) but to come by and make these sweeping statements... well come on, make an arguement will you?

sturgo wrote:
    All of the imported programmes can be seen elsewhere. That's a fact

RTÉ have to provide to the public. thats why they show these shows that can be seen elsewhere. not everyone has those channels. why not just show all home made stuff and forget about imports. but then why bother because you and all the other people will be on here giving out about that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

actually I did notice a bit of a pong while watching Desperate Housewives tonight, I thought it was because I took my shoes off, but maybe it was the TV...

Mossy Monk wrote:
    RTÉ have to provide to the public. thats why they show these shows that can be seen elsewhere. not everyone has those channels. why not just show all home made stuff and forget about imports. but then why bother because you and all the other people will be on here giving out about that too

Of course. Somebody has to tell it the way it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

JayBee66 wrote:
    What a waste of a license fee. I shall get a cheap free to air satellite dish and watch the BBC instead.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. The license fee should be scrapped. RTE receive 70% of their income from commercial advertisements and 30% from the license fee. A 30% worse RTE will be hardly noticable.

I've said if before and I'll say it again too - RTÉ's licence does not constitute 30% of its income, and you know it DublinWriter. It is at least a 50-50 balance between licence fee and advertsing. Not even in the doldrums of the 1980s and late 90s did it drop to 30%.

This is as least the third time you've said it on these forums, knowing it to be patently untrue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Smurfpiss wrote:
    It is a quality news program, production values may need a little work but for unbiased, accurate and extensive reporting they are at the top.
    Are you being serious??? I cant bare RTÉ reporting, its the biggest joke ever, every story they take it from a dublin prospective to show to Dubliners!!!!
    It bugs me so much, every chance they get they mention crime in Limerick, its so frustrating!!!
    And they just try really hard to give the city a bad name "death in Clare, possible murder... the man's house was only 30kms from Limerick!!" WTF??
    The other day.. a guy was stabbed in NewCastle West which is the secong town of county Limerick, its like almost at the oppisite side of the city.. and instead of saying NewCastle West ... they just say "Man stabbed in Limerick, in a serious condition in a Limerick city hospital!"
    I remember last year theyre was like 3 murders in Dublin in a week, and they reported it as something like "9th murder in Ireland this year".
    TV3 will paint a real picture for you, that is a real news service!
    Last year, there was an atempted robbery in limerick city, RTÉ reported something like "Armed man ramsacks a limerick city centre jewelers but flees the scene without anyhing, but moves onto another shop just 2 blocks up the road", TV3 reported "a brave 80year old limerick man stood up to armed raiders and saved his jewellery shop, *went on about the bravery of the man*, the theives went onto another shop in the city"
    RTÉ fail to report Limerick has the second lowest crime rate of all the cities in Ireland (Waterford is the safest!), they fail to report the transformation of the city, even Dolores McNamarea winning was a big thing, because shes from Limerick, and they went on to say how she was going to flee the city from fear. She may have moved out of her old council house, but she has bought a €2million house in the city! Hell most rich Irish people have houses in Limerick, Will Smith has a place just out passed me about 7kms from the city! The owner of Supermacs lives down the road, in a big weirdly shaped house, RTÉ act as if this is a city full of fear, i've never been afraid!
    But its not just Limerick, i'm taking that as an example because its where I'm from and .. really the editor does seem to have something against the city!
    About the other things though, RTÉ arnt the worst channel, they are to show UK and USA television, and to give Irish production companies and talent a chance.. which they also do!
    Ok so i hate pretty much everything they show, but at least they have The Panel and just for laughs
    [edit]FFS, at least they HAD the panel! ok, i agree .. they suck![/edit]

TV3 will paint a real picture for you, that is a real news service!

sure

• Advertisement

most rich Irish people have houses in Limerick, Will Smith has a place just out passed me about 7kms from the city! The owner of Supermacs lives down the road, in a big weirdly shaped house, RTÉ act as if this is a city full of fear, i've never been afraid!
    But its not just Limerick, i'm taking that as an example because its where I'm from and .. !

"MOST" rich irish people? haha. You wish, mate! The owner of Supermacs??? Oooooo, how exclusive! And Will Smith lives 7km OUTSIDE of Limerick for a reason. Everyone knows Limerick is a sh*thole. I had to go down there once to buy a car from Buy & sell, and it was so dull and horrible (not to mention terrible traffic) I couldn't wait to leave. Just like the North of England - you always hear it's sh*t, but when you go there it just confirms it 100%.
    You're obviously just a Limerick fanboy - your username & sig scream "I love Limerick", so I can understand why you must be frustrated that it's a dive.

well maybe not most, but many! out of all the places i've lived Limerick is my favourite (well in Ireland at least)! I'm into history and Limerick has a great history, and so much history... which surrounds the city. The Shannon riverside and skyline is just so beautiful, the Abbey riverside is really beautiful too. The city centre is full of modern buildings and the best example of georgian buildings in the country, traffic congestion is a problem but they really couldnt have expected the city to almost double in population in 20yrs but the new plan to pedestrianise the city much of the city, including O'Connell street, only leaving for buses, taxis, ane emergancy vechicles through, will make the downtown of the city more 'plesant', billions are being invested into the city at the moment, and over the past 5 years it has really started to take shape. Once this new 15yr plan is finished the city should be looking fantastic, this is getting off topic so i'm not gonna post another post about the city!
    Back to the tv...

well maybe not most, but many! out of all the places i've lived Limerick is my favourite (well in Ireland at least)! I'm into history and Limerick has a great history, and so much history... which surrounds the city. The Shannon riverside and skyline is just so beautiful, the Abbey riverside is really beautiful too. The city centre is full of modern buildings and the best example of georgian buildings in the country, traffic congestion is a problem but they really couldnt have expected the city to almost double in population in 20yrs but the new plan to pedestrianise the city much of the city, including O'Connell street, only leaving for buses, taxis, ane emergancy vechicles through, will make the downtown of the city more 'plesant', billions are being invested into the city at the moment, and over the past 5 years it has really started to take shape. Once this new 15yr plan is finished the city should be looking fantastic, this is getting off topic so i'm not gonna post another post about the city!
    Back to the tv...
    That's doesn't mean it's not full of scum. "Stab City" didn't come out of nowhere. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Anyway - your contrast between the RTE and TV3 headlines still doesn't mean that RTE are changing the facts - TV3 just chose to phrase is differently, but both are equally factual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

A 30% worse RTE will be hardly noticable.

Want to bet? Just look at TV3..

Well i just find when i'm watching RTÉ its so obvious that the news is Dublin based, written by Dubliners for Dubliners. While TV3, i feel, is more Irish based... it may all still be done in Dublin but they take a local viewpoint and also they are more positive!
    I just prefer there news coverage, rather then the one sided spin RTE put on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TV3 NEWS lacks range. You can see that they over use their local reporters. The one they have in Cork, anyway I rarely hear storys from the north of the country on TV3.

RTÉ NEWS has a hard time have any kind of "one sided spin" when it tries to say anything it is blasted by the government.

But then your talking about the Dublin bias. MMMMM. Lyric FM is based in Limerick, Nationwide is produced in Cork, RnaG is based in Galway and RTE possible have more office around the country then TV3.

I don't want to blast TV3 news. But I personnelly find that the weather is off putting, the entertainment news is now more then ever just stuck on the end to give a jazzy and tabloid feel while the rest of the news trys to stand up to RTE and other news services.

I wouldn't praise RTÉ news either, but as for the comment about talking about GAA and the Irish Government well now I don't think I am surprised when the national service talk about the nation.

IMO the problems with Irish TV

RTE ONE
    There insistance in buying EastEnders when the lost Corronation Street.
    RTE TWO
    Bad Scheduling
    TV3
    Lack of Identity and Ireland AM. The Fat Cat Shareholders.
    TG4
    Funding

But I wouldn't say that they are SH1T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Reasons for being *happy* to pay for RTE:
    1. Billo, Gilsey, Eamo and Chippy Brady. Genius.
    2. The rest of the sports stuff especially the hurling is good too.
    3. They have most of the good US stuff like the Sopranos, 24, Lost etc before any of the Brit channels (I know I can get them online).
    4. The Panel - when the token female is Pauline McGlynn or Kathryn Thomas - funny and tasty repectively.
    5. There's been some decent home grown stuff recently. Next years promos don't look too good though.

TV3 is gash apart from yer man in the morning that'd be on while I'm having the brekkie. He always seems bemused that he's working with such losers. Thank God the Champions League will be solely on RTE next year where it belongs.

5. There's been some decent home grown stuff recently. Next years promos don't look too good though

I am looking forward to seeing Stardust on RTE ONE.

Elmo wrote:
    TV3 NEWS lacks range. You can see that they over use their local reporters. The one they have in Cork, anyway I rarely hear storys from the north of the country on TV3.
    Ya, thats because RTÉ are backing the gov. my dad used to say if a cat made a crap in Northen Ireland it would be on RTÉ. they always want to include them so to give a feeling of one nation.
    TV3 arnt trying to act like an international broadcaster.

Elmo wrote:
    But then your talking about the Dublin bias. MMMMM. Lyric FM is based in Limerick, Nationwide is produced in Cork, RnaG is based in Galway and RTE possible have more office around the country then TV3.
    I know TV3 have like nothing outside dublin, and RTE have... i was really just referring to the news. I just feel like its reporting for Dublin.

• Advertisement

TV3 are more Dublin-centric a broadcaster than Dublin 98fm for crying out loud!

The notion that they are 'out there', 'serving the community' getting the stories of 'real people' from the countryside neglected by an elitist Dublin-focussed RTÉ is so hilarious as to warrant a health warning.

TV3, and not just their news are the most Dublin-centric broadcaster going. Everything they do, make or show is Dublin oriented - they have almost the same characteristics as Dublin's NTL channel of old.
    From Ireland AM, to their news, to competition prizes, to promotions, to 'entertainment features', to their as-good-as non-existant current affairs content - every last bit of it is Dublin based or focused. The rest of the country doesn't exist in TV3 outside of their weather map, and even then they have a Dublin presenter there!

It never fails to amaze how RTÉ get whacked over the head (rightly) for not enough regional coverage, whilst there's not a peep out of anyone, in the media or just generally about TV3's extraordinary Dublin frame of mind.
    Essentially they're allowed get away with murder - from advertising, to a less stringent control on programming output than RTÉ, to a disgraceful lack of Irish content - commercial television here is allowed do what it likes.

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    I've said if before and I'll say it again too - RTÉ's licence does not constitute 30% of its income, and you know it DublinWriter. It is at least a 50-50 balance between licence fee and advertsing. Not even in the doldrums of the 1980s and late 90s did it drop to 30%.

This is as least the third time you've said it on these forums, knowing it to be patently untrue.
    I stand corrected - it was 35% in 2000.

Here's the link...

http://www.coursework.info/i/309.html

I think the figure was taken from the IRTC website, which is currently down.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

Elmo wrote:

may i ask why ?

Mondo is in it, that's reason enough.

KerranJast wrote:
    Thank God the Champions League will be solely on RTE next year where it belongs.

Setanta will be showing games too but RTÉ will have a live game on Tuesday and Wednesday :)

much better than listening to Trevor "I Will Only Commentate United Matches" Welsh. he is a stupid ****ing ****

Elmo wrote:
    You've got to be kidding. A documentary is one thing, but I think making a drama out of the Stardust tragedy borders on being both mawkish and sick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

You've got to be kidding. A documentary is one thing, but I think making a drama out of the Stardust tragedy borders on being both mawkish and sick.

Because those bloody sunday drama's were just mawkish and sick?
    Once this new 15yr plan is finished the city should be looking fantastic, this is getting off topic so i'm not gonna post another post about the city!

On an aside how does your fifteen year plan fit dells eventual leaving. Downsizing by increments has been going on for years with no real hirings. They'll be moving out within your fifteen years, and I wonder how limerick will cope without the business that employee's 1/10 ish of the population directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Well i just find when i'm watching RTÉ its so obvious that the news is Dublin based, written by Dubliners for Dubliners. While TV3, i feel, is more Irish based... it may all still be done in Dublin but they take a local viewpoint and also they are more positive!

I hear ya.

There was a murder in Sligo, my birthplace in or around NYE, I tuned into Six:One the following day. Neither sight nor sound of it, typical I thought, the OB crews must have the day off. That said, I didnt expect TV3 to cover it whatsover, the have the feel of "Drop the Dead Donkey" the excellent 90's show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think making a drama out of the Stardust tragedy borders on being both mawkish and sick.

Until it's been broadcast, it's a bit much to say that. There have been plenty of tragedy related dramas - some of them awful, some of them good and some of them just plain chilling.

BuffyBot wrote:
    Until it's been broadcast, it's a bit much to say that. There have been plenty of tragedy related dramas - some of them awful, some of them good and some of them just plain chilling.

Well yes, which is why I was suggesting that the OP reserve judgement on the Stardust drama until it's broadcast, suggesting it was going to be "mawkish" and "sick" before he's even seen it, is unfair.

As for documentaries, this is a format that Irish tv excells at. The fantastic prime time investigates is "water cooler" tv often, documentaries on Garda Corruption and abuse by the Mental Health Board, got the entire nation talking, in pubs, in the Dail in the newspapers. Very few broadcasters can transmit a documentary which provokes national debates.

Living in the civil war? Hardly. documentaries on Haughey, Fine Gael have been solid brilliantly executed pieces, not to mention "The revolution will be televised" which just about one every award a broadcast documentary can win, four years ago.

This again needs to be understood in the wider scale. RTE run on a budget less than BBC1? Thing again RTE is run on a budget that's

Freelancer wrote:
    On an aside how does your fifteen year plan fit dells eventual leaving. Downsizing by increments has been going on for years with no real hirings. They'll be moving out within your fifteen years, and I wonder how limerick will cope without the business that employee's 1/10 ish of the population directly.

Dell arnt in the city, they are in the county. Dell have been expanding here, they've been closing around the country and moved everything to their campus here in Limerick and they are keeping there Dublin bit too. Dell are not showing any signs of reducing their workforce or pulling out!
    Dell have opened up their secondary school in a village called Croom, Coláise Chiarain, Ireland's first IT based school.. students and teachers all have laptops and people running the school also have PDA's plus they've hooked the school up with wireless internet and ethernet, 3 plazma screens, 3 buses... they are hardly going to set up a secondary school spend millions equiping it and pull out a few years later shut down the school and leave 900 pupils without a school, plus the damage that would do to the village!
    Dell only employs 5,000 people, the city has a pop of 100,000 and only about 1,000-1,500 would live in the city... plus the city has a shortage of professionals anyway, so half of them would be taken up by firms currently recruiting people to Limerick (as long as trends keep going as they are)! Really Dell would be more of a county problem then city, but it deffo would have knock-on effects.
    The plans are about the standard of living in the city, the building and tourism really, at the moment there isnt a need for a jobs creation or retention plan other then those in tourism and construction. Mainly they want more shoppers, residents and businesses in the city.

• Advertisement

Freelancer wrote:
    Very few broadcasters can transmit a documentary which provokes national debates.
    umm... well getting that effect in Ireland this isnt much of a problem. Sure RTÉ can do with with some of there high profile shows but think about Big Brother, I'm a celebrity, sex in the city, .... we just like to talk about TV as a nation!!!

Ya, thats because RTÉ are backing the gov. my dad used to say if a cat made a crap in Northen Ireland it would be on RTÉ. they always want to include them so to give a feeling of one nation.
    TV3 arnt trying to act like an international broadcaster.

What I was refering too was the plans for the new Prison which where reported on Prime Time and had The Minister for Justice up in Arms.

See now when I said the north of the Country I was refering to Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan and the six counties of Northern Ireland. MMMMM. I suppose if its an All Ireland Northern Ireland final next year RTE shouldn't broadcast it.

So If RTÉ reports on events in Northern Ireland they are considered an International Broadcaster mmmmm. I am of the opinion that RTÉ is a national broadcaster that must report on Events in the north as they happen just as they do in the Republic.

TV3 have offices in Belfast for their nothern correspondence.

LOVE ULSTER ALL NINE. :)

but lets not get politcal now.

TV3 haven't got the balls to report on so many things. TV3's shareholders wouldn't like to be in the high court as much as RTÉ have been in the last number of years. One example of that is Beverly Cooper Flynn.

But in realation to RTE news last night as they reported the murder of a man in a "Hotel beside croke park"

Did Jury's ring RTÉ so that they would mention that it was a Jury's hotel? How where others reporting this story.
    umm... well getting that effect in Ireland this isnt much of a problem. Sure RTÉ can do with with some of there high profile shows but think about Big Brother, I'm a celebrity, sex in the city, .... we just like to talk about TV as a nation!!!

That is because we read so many British Tabloids in this country. Can you actually remember the arseholes that are on BB and the rest? Trashy Television in Britian not Ireland.

As for Stardust I think its a good Idea didn't C4 do the same with that massacre in one of the statiums in britian before a football match. However the familys of the victims of the Stardust have given out about the production.

I would like to see a dramatisation of the Dublin-Monaghan bombings now that would have the nation talking, about something important.

Okay would you really want a big brother or an I'm a celebrity or something a lil more thought provoking?

As for drama, RTE have come along way, the major problem is attracting and keeping the really good writing and directing talent.

Any Irish Writer or Director worth a damn can work in the UK, with larger budgets and less creative restrictions, and therefore are working over there.
    Off topic Snip

Whatever, that runs at odds with what the several Dell employees spoke to me about. And you pedant. Dell is in limerick sod the boundries (which will be shifting out anyway in 6 months making your point moot). Having the direct employeer of 1/10th of the population will kill the town. As for Dell not leaving? Living the dream, it's facing a rising Corporation tax bill, no incentive to stay, and those new EU countries look awfully tempting. Gateway did it five years ago, theres an empty hulk on the outskirts of Dublin airport that I think proves me right.

Yes Elmo - RTÉ's delicate handling of the Jurys Hotel murder was very notable. All newscasters' scripts refrained from mentioning Jurys - rather it was deferred to the reports that followed to mention it fleetingly.
    No doubt at all they were avoiding the legals there. Jurys Croke Park has only just opened its doors, and is something of a flagship for the company as a four star hotel. RTÉ didn't want to damage them any more than they could.

Which is fair enough - the hotel wasn't the centre of the story.
    Jury's must be furious at what happened though. A stabbing in their brand new flagship hotel on the northside?!!
    That's the second murder in a Jurys in the past few years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

TV3 are more Dublin-centric a broadcaster than Dublin 98fm for crying out loud!

The notion that they are 'out there', 'serving the community' getting the stories of 'real people' from the countryside neglected by an elitist Dublin-focussed RTÉ is so hilarious as to warrant a health warning.

TV3, and not just their news are the most Dublin-centric broadcaster going. Everything they do, make or show is Dublin oriented - they have almost the same characteristics as Dublin's NTL channel of old.

Thank you. I thought I was seeing things when I read what you were replying to...
    TV3 news stinks to the high heavens; badly written/presented, waaaay too parochial (both in terms of Dublin and the World) in their order of importance of a news item or headline...and they tend to be very sensationalist, along the lines of Sky's news presentation. Oh and "first with Ireland's news" ? :rolleyes: well that's becuase you put it on 30 min ahead of RTÉ....aren't ya's great? :v:

RTÉ's news output is probably one of the few things that they actually do well...do we really need celebrity news readers? Good journalism is good journalism regardless of what bimbo (or not) is readin' it off the teleprompter.

One thing that I really DO have against RTÉ though is their stunning lack of production values, and their seeming lack of technical knowledge when it comes to output and editing....I'll not go into specific detail but simple basic stuff like cutting into ad breaks or sound dubbing are woeful most of the time and adds to an air of unprofessionalism with regard to the service that we pay for....
    RTÉ is too much of an "old boy's" institution to ever really change, TV3 seem to be happy with outputting bland US crap and straight-to-video movies, so it's likely that we're stuck with what we have now for a fair while to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Wertz wrote:
    well that's becuase you put it on 30 min ahead of RTÉ
    Who often beat them by a good four and a half hours most days ;)

Wertz wrote:
    I'll not go into specific detail

*cough* :o

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=232338

So we're in agreement on one thing:

both R.T.E. AND TV3 suck

There's a big difference between production values and content - it's the former RTÉ fall down on, with TV3 it's the latter.

As far as the public is concerned, and broadcasting in general, it is the content that counts.
    Only, RTÉ percieve this to be all that matters :rolleyes:

TV3 have crap production values too, everything looks like it was done on MS Paint

• Advertisement
Advertisement