Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIK on Company Vehicle question

Options
  • 03-01-2006 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

Apologies for posting all over the place; I stuck this in motors but guessed it might be relevant here too. It's a quickie on BIK for a company van. Nothing too technical, I just don't get it! :)

The original post is here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054869737

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

AFAIK vans are not exempt from BIK but the tax is at a lower level. The benefit is the provision of a vehicle for your personal use.

Prior to 2000 with a previous employer, I had a number of Isuzu troopers provided by my employer. Two were commercials and the last one was a passenger version. I had to pay BIK on the commercials. Fortunately it wasn't adjusted when I got the passenger version so I didn't get a big increase in BIK.

Officially to avoid BIK on any vehicle it has to garaged at your place of work outside of working hours. Now you can claim if stopped that you are a 24 hour operator and you're on the way to a job.

One way to reduce BIK is by paying milage for private use. My boss was reasonable and classed private usage as the weekend. I'd make up a figure and multiply it by the civil service rate and deduct from my expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

in that case.. the BIK on the commercial vehicle is probably factored into my salary... You've answered all I want to know, cheers Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

As a PAYE employee it would have been as a tax deduction on your tax schedule. The employer would use this to calculate your net salary so you don't have to declare it separately.

Advertisement