Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goff track, peoples Park

Options
  • 04-01-2006 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭

They're closing it and getting rid of it. Its covered in moss and needs to be done up.
    Loads of kids got bikes for Christmas, and need somewhere to learn to cycle.
    The place has a hundred year history of bike racing in waterford, at one stage it was the second best in Ireland.
    In Europe, most countries promote cycling as a way to get people out of the cars and onto a better environment.
    Why the hell aren't WCC improving it instead of demolishing it for another Water Feature?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

they are getting rid of it for a water feature?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I heard it was to be retained after all. Although, since it has been illegal to cycle in the park for God knows how many years, it seems a bit ridiculous.

The story goes that one of the conditions of the gift of the park to the Corporation/People was that there would always be a cycle track in it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I always enjoyed the irony of the "no cycling" sign and yet they have a cycle track (although in bad repair)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Cabaal wrote:
    I always enjoyed the irony of the "no cycling" sign and yet they have a cycle track (although in bad repair)

When I was a kid it was fine, although far from a professional track. It's been a bad joke since the early nineties.

And yeah, the no cycling sign would be comical if it wasn't sad.

It's also sad to see that you can't take a dog off the lead in a public place anymore. You'd want to be some fit bastard to give a dog a proper run and keep him on a lead! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They should keep that feature, even if you can't cycle you can run around and around and around...! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

mike65 wrote:
    They should keep that feature, even if you can't cycle you can run around and around and around...! :D

Mike.
    LOL :D

Meh I think the one water feature is exciting enough for us without digging up the place for a second one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jessica

i'm assuming by the corpo doing this - they have gotten a bigger than usual budget and dont' know what to do with it.

although i have a novel idea - how about fixing the pot holes in the roads - oh damn that would make sense .. now they can't be doing that ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

It has one "official" use, it's used for the speed trials for the go-karts in the Hullabaloo festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Maybe they could use it as an obstacle course to avoid all the dogs**t around the park

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

meldrew wrote:
    Maybe they could use it as an obstacle course to avoid all the dogs**t around the park

Nah there's no need to use the park for that when you can already use all the paths already the city for that :v:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Yeah, anotehr water feature, when the one there is the most ugly lopsided thing I've seen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Mossy Monk wrote:
    they are getting rid of it for a water feature?
    I hope you're not talking about the annual winter flood in the pitch there :D

My grandfather is the chairperson of the Waterford Cycling organisation, and has been fighting for two years to keep the cycling track and to get it done up. Its too much a part of the park's history to let it go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Junior

Well it looks like it's all moot now with this annoucement

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0110/waterford.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Waterford City Council has adopted a series of by-laws, saying it hopes the regulations will ensure that the city's parks and open spaces can be fully enjoyed in safety by all.

maybe they will put some lighting in the peoples park so the groups of powerwalkers stop ploughing into people :mad:
    The by-laws make it unlawful to hold or address a public meeting or religious service in parks or open spaces, or to film, except with the written permission of the council.

can someone define the film bit for me or am i right in assuming that video cameras are now banned from the park if you dont get the councils prior permission?

So, let me get this right, all the little kids who got bikes fro Xmas are now gonna get fined for learning to cycle in the only reasonably safe place to cycle ( footpatsh are unreliable-potholes), and teh proud parents can't film it? Pah. I filmed my little cousin last week learning in teh park- does that mean I did something illegal now? The kid is 6 for gods sake. What are they gonna do, tell him if he cycles there that he won't get pocket money ever again? He lives in an avenue at the top of a hill. Correct me if i'm wrong, but define that as safe cycling.

And well, if they fixed up the track, it would be safer to cycle, the bikes could stay there, the people would have the paths. See hoew easy the idea is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Talaghn

Another question is will the go carts be allowed to go there aswell?

you can just see it now

Little kid: 'Mammy can you teach me how to cycle my bike'

Mammy: 'No sorry hunny i cant afford the costs!'

And hang on, buggies are two/four wheeled vehicles too, in a way, and getting a dig with a buggy hurts more than a bike. What is that included now?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its a got a good-side:

Skateborders can **** off and stop messing up the place such as the Clock Tower :|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

And hang on, buggies are two/four wheeled vehicles too, in a way,

Er, no. No they're not. Nobody considers a buggy a vehicle. Maybe with the exception of drunk people.
    and getting a dig with a buggy hurts more than a bike. What is that included now?

Not sure what speed you push buggies at but they tend to move significantly slower than a bicycle.

It's a stupid by-law I agree, no need to get crazy though.

Um, yeah. You've never got a dig in the shins with a buggy, have you? It hurts like hell.
    And skateboarders have the place out by Waterford Crystal. Everytime I go past there are people in there. Yet, theres still tons of them on the Plaza...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Talaghn

Thats mainly because the place out by the waterford crystal is a load of crap!

I dislike the skaters ****ing up the plaza and skating round the Theatre but if the council could build a place like they have in america and england then they wouldnt do it so much!

Advertisement