Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Year in Review - 2005

Options
  • 04-01-2006 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Well guys, the New Years celebrations are all over now, and now that the hangovers have worn off, it is time to reflect on a year of weather here in 2005. What are your thoughts, opinions on what the last 52 weeks brought us???

What were your favourite posts here on boards.ie/weather during that time???

Please discuss...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

For me, I felt that 2005 was a very quiet year for weather.

Apart from Jan 1st, there was very little in the way of wind events.

The cold spell that was late February and early March failed to deliver what would have been regarded as a significant snow event.

I felt though that the transition between seasons was very short and the turn around of temperatures in mid March was wierd. 21c in Valentia in mid March in a SE fohn effect was amazing. Which hearelded the the Winter to Summer change...

Another thing about '05 was the lack of thunder and lightning! Even though it was a warm and sticky summer - the lack of a good th'orm held me dissapointed! I look forward to summer thunder just as much as I like winter snow!

Again the transition between Summer and Winter in November was almost as amazing with 18c in places around the 1st of Nov, only to be under several cm of snow by the 25th.

For rains, the heavy falls at the end of October were quite hefty, something that would remind me of driving along the Tuam road in Galway was greeting me along the N8 in Laois!

Frosts were a little sharper than in 2004, but for heavens sakes, was -5 broken cancelled many times??? I remember other winters where a week long spell of below -10 at night was the norm at least once every winter! :D

The biggest let down of all this year was the Dec 29th non-event.

Summary [rant] over. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

hurricane season. thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well my favourite post would have to be: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2412097&postcount=200

Infact that whole thread would have to be my favourite it was during the brief snow spell we had in February, got a day off work when 2 - 3 inches of snow fell, the showers were amazing really soft dusty snow. Lets hope this year brings something simalar but lasts a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The hurricane season this year was legendary. And not in a good way either:(
    Danno wrote:
    Another thing about '05 was the lack of thunder and lightning! Even though it was a warm and sticky summer - the lack of a good th'orm held me dissapointed! I look forward to summer thunder just as much as I like winter snow!
    I resent that remark!!:p Lest we forget, I was absent from here for 2 weeks thanks to a severe lightning storm. Ironically the line was connected to a surge protector but the lightning simply shorted all the circuitry and carried on right into my modem:( A couple of my neighbours phones exploded aswell and our house earth tripswitch was tripped.

We had a good spell of weather in July this year. Not quite as lengthy as the legendary month of August 03. But still better than many summers:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I think Danno has summed it up very well. Very uneventful year really.

I have to look up the stats to find highlights. 20C on Paddy's Day, followed by 54mm on Mar 21st, a station record for any 24hr period.

Very little thunder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

that is strange, we had more thunder here than normal. there was a massive thunderstorm here around september/october with thunder every 15 seconds for about an hour. we also had numerous instances of overnight lightning.

Unusual indeed! There were no homegrown storms here at all, despite several attempts, and no spanish plumes this year either!

Looks like the boring weather is continuing into 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Danno wrote:
    Unusual indeed! There were no homegrown storms here at all, despite several attempts, and no spanish plumes this year either!

Thats rite you cant beat a good spanish plume, apart from around the year 2000 theres been sweet fanny adams in the way of a good haymaker, the last noticeable decent thunderstorm or should I say shower, was in Aug 2001 it was on a Friday, home from work. Heard it comin went rite over our house, and I seen the redest, orangest flash of lightning ever, about one mile away and the loudest rap of thunder I heard up till then, and the heaviest downpour as well.

Advertisement